SEAL dies after accidental shooting, Navy says

Published: Sun, January 8, 2012 @ 12:08 a.m.

Staff report

BOARDMAN

Gene “Geno” Clayton, 22, a Boardman High School graduate who accidentally shot himself Thursday morning in his San Diego condominium, died Saturday morning, according to the Navy.

Clayton recently completed his SEAL training in the Navy and reported to a West Coast-based SEAL Team.

San Diego police said Clayton was in his Pacific Beach condo showing a gun to a woman he had met in a nightclub. He placed the gun to his head and pulled the trigger in an effort to prove to the woman that the gun was not loaded, police said.

He was pronounced dead shortly after 3 a.m. PST Thursday, but was placed on life support, police said then.

He remained on life support in Scripps Memorial Hospital in LaJolla, Calif., while his family traveled from Boardman to San Diego to be with him.

The Naval Criminal Investigative Service is investigating.

The Navy issued a press release Saturday saying Clayton was a Special Warfare Operator 3rd Class who had completed his SEAL training in December 2011 and reported aboard a West-Coast-based Naval Special Warfare Unit.

He entered the Navy in March 2010, graduating from boot camp May 19, 2010, and completing Pre-Basic Underwater Demolition/SEAL training at Great Lakes, Ill., on Aug. 4, 2010.

He was accepted to attend Basic Underwater Demolition/SEAL Training in Coronado, Calif., and graduated SEAL Qualification Training in December.

His awards include the National Defense Service Medal.

He is survived by his parents, Gene Sr. and Kimberly Clayton and three sisters. Gene Sr. is owner of Clayton Heating and Air Conditioning of Youngstown.

Comments

1foxyglo(372 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

QUESTION IS: WHO GUN WAS IT . IF IT BELONGED TO HIM DUH , DID'NT YOU REMEMBER IF BULLETS WERE IN IT OR NOT.. WHAT A WAY TO SHOW OFF FOR A WOMAN YOU JUST MET IN A CLUB. NOT SO SMART, HE DID;NT EVEN HAVE TO BRING A GUN INTO THE PICTURE. JUST SHOOT @ THE FLOOR OR OUT THE BACK DOOR. MY GOD.GEEZ, YOU COULD HAVE SHOWED HER SOME OTHER KIND OF TRICK. NOW HE IS GONE FOREVER AND HER HEAD IS MESSED UP FOR EVER, YOUNG PEOPLE , YOUNG PEOPLE , YOUNG PEOPLE. SUCH STUPIDITY.

2MichaelG93(79 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Hey Foxyflo,

Did you read that the parents live here in the County? I'm sure everyone reading that article understands this kid made a deadly mistake. Think if this was your child and they made this mistake. Please have a little simpathy for the family during this time.....

3TheGreaterDebater(1 comment)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

I totally agree, Michael. Foxyflo need not cast judgement and disrespect on a fallen soldier or his family, regardless of the circumstance. This article DID mention that this case is still under investigation. So unless Foxyflo has some "inside" connection, I think maybe he should keep his OPINIONS to himself until all of the FACTS are known. And I love that young people are stupid? Funny, Mr. Seniority can't even punctuate correctly.

4WhatRUAfraidOf(85 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

TheGreaterDebater-Not only that, but Foxyglo also has a problem with netiquette - it wasn't necessary to SCREAM at anyone :-(.

Anyway, that is a very tragic accident and my heart goes out to the family. I have two sons who are in their early 20s and I can only think how I would feel if something like that happened to one of them.

Sometimes, young people just don't think before they do things. As they are maturing, my boys are getting better - they have to learn through the school of hard knocks once in a while. It's very sad that this young man, in a momentary lapse of reason, lost his life. My heart aches for his parents.

5kensgirl(571 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

There will always be "haters" among us. People who absolutely hate everything and everyone-including themselves. The only people I have a problem with are thugs and people who attack the police. The gun was a 9mm. When it is loaded and the magazine is engaged there is an unseen bullet in the chamber waiting to go. Did he know this? Obviously not. All I know is that this was a good kid from a good family. They are hard working, decent people. Geno could have grown up a drug dealing moron like we read about in the paper every day but he didn't. He was a wonderful person who was raised the way every kid should be raised. God bless this family who will forever suffer this loss. I'm sure they are devasted beyond belief. We don't have to worry about Geno. He is with God now and I know that is the place we all hope to be one day.

6Freeatlast(1991 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

What kind of training did he get ???

7pennygirl(6 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

This is a response to foxyglo, I think you are an ass. Why do you not understand this is a tragic accident. Let me tell you that the family members will most likely see your post. I know this because back on Aug 29th my dear son Kevin Jackson died from a fatal motercycle accident. This family will never get over the grief from the passing of their son. I had a similar comment that someone posted about my son,that he didnt know how to drive safe and he was young. This person did not know him. The last thing a grief stricken parent needs is negative comments about their child.My heart breaks for this family. Please think before you hit the post comment box.

8redvert(2046 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Guys do stupid things when they are trying to impress a young lady. Too bad this had to have such terrible consequences.