Actor’s mom awaits word on home

Published: Thu, February 23, 2012 @ 12:03 a.m.

photo

Warden

photo

Morgan

By GUY D’ASTOLFO

dastolfo@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

Alicia Warden, the mother of comedian-actor Tracy Morgan, is still waiting to find out whether she’ll be allowed to remain in her South Side home.

The 62-year-old lost her job last year and hasn’t been able to keep up on her mortgage payments. She now faces the possibility of foreclosure and, eventually, eviction. The deadline for her to pay up is today.

Warden had applied to her lender to restructure her loan but told The Vindicator on Wednesday that she had not yet received a reply.

She had asked her famous son — who is worth about $18 million — for help but was hurt by his offer: a one-time gift of $2,000. Morgan’s accountant delivered the offer in a phone call, and Warden turned it down.

The story rippled through the national news media earlier this month.

Morgan and his mother have been estranged for about a decade, although Warden said she cannot understand why.

“He has turned away from his entire family,” she said. “I worked two or three jobs to care for my children when they were young. I don’t know what I ever did to him, and he won’t give me an answer.”

In a statement earlier this month, the “30 Rock” star refused to address the issue, saying he will not air family matters through the media.

Meanwhile, Warden said she is prepared to pack her belongings.

“I’ve never been through this before, and I don’t know what to expect,” she said.

Warden was laid off from her job at Mahoning Youngstown Community Action Program in early 2011, and her unemployment benefits expired several months ago.

She still owes about $22,000 on her mortgage.

Warden, a cancer survivor, has diabetes and congestive heart failure and has problems with her kidneys and her knees.

The rift between her and Morgan has also been painful.

“It’s hard,” she said. “I didn’t want to put my family business out there. ... I can’t stress over it, and I can’t change Tracy. I put it in God’s hands.”

Comments

1chuck_carney(499 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

As this is a classic case of the 1% ignoring the needs of the 99%,

I can only wonder where the Occupiers are to help this desttitue lady keep ocupying her home.

2AtownParent(562 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

Southside - there is obviously more to this story than we know so how can you judge based on one person's media presentation. I commend Tracy Morgan for not responding to the media.

3WhatRUAfraidOf(85 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

My parents also had issues, including mental, physical, and emotional abuse of all of us to some (and differing depending on who it was) extent. My parents also did the best they knew and were likely treated like that when they were children, too.

It was a double-edged sword in our case. They were abusive, yet they also wanted with all their hearts for us to get our educations so we didn't have to go through life like they did. I have 30 semester hours beyond a bachelors in graduate school, plus post-undergraduate work with a 4.0 GPA. As one of my graduate professors was very fond of saying, education gives a person choices. I chose not to abuse my own children and they are both very successful in their lives.

When my parents had medical issues as they grew older, I stepped in and did all I could for them. After my mom died and my dad had Alzheimers, I took over his affairs and made sure that all his bills were paid, even giving him money to help out, and never telling him I did. I also went over on my way home from work to make sure he had a decent meal and took his medications like he should. When he passed away and had no money for a funeral, my husband and I paid for it and have never asked either of my siblings for any help to cover the cost because they don't have the money. I wish I could have done more, but my children were in middle and high school and I work full-time, too, so I did the best I could do with the circumstances.

Even though our childhoods were far from perfect, I know my parents loved me and did the best that they knew how. There comes a time when a mature person says to him- or herself, "The folks were very flawed and we certainly didn't have a perfect family by any stretch of the imagination, but to be the most successful, emotionally healthy adult that I can be, I need to forgive them and move on."

4sue(173 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

Since Tracy is a Democrat, I'm sure he believes that the government will ultimately take care of his mother. That's why Tracy pays taxes.

5commoncitizen(961 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

pwhite, very well said!!! What business is it of ours to get involved with a personal issue? We don't know ANY of the cicumstances or should we ---it's their problem --let it go!!

6Silence_Dogood(1384 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

“I didn’t want to put my family business out there. "

SO WHY DID YOU?