Sorry, no featured jobs currently.

IRS issues lien of $27K against engineer-hopeful Ginnetti

Published: Wed, February 22, 2012 @ 12:00 a.m.

Ginnetti: ‘I’m not super proud of my mistake’

By David Skolnick

skolnick@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

The Internal Revenue Service has a $27,687 lien on the home of Patrick T. Ginnetti, the lone candidate for Mahoning County engineer, who failed to pay the proper amount of federal income tax on a business he owned.

Ginnetti of Garfield Street in Struthers said he made a “mistake in calculating federal withholdings” for his business, GMS Surveyors and Engineers, in 2005 and 2006.

“I’m not super proud of my mistake,” he said. “But they happen. You learn from them and move on.”

Ginnetti said he discovered the mistake in 2006, and contacted the IRS.

Ginnetti said he was on a payment plan, but “because of personal issues I asked for a deferment” from making regular payments later in 2006.

He declined to discuss the personal issues, but said they are now resolved and expects shortly to resume making payments.

It hasn’t been released how much the penalties and interest are on the $27,687 Ginnetti owes.

But the engineer candidate said the entire amount should be paid off in three to five years.

In addition to resuming monthly payments, Ginnetti said the IRS will keep any refunds he is to receive for his personal income-tax returns.

“I want to straighten it up,” he said. “I owned up to the mistake. Everybody goes through stuff at times. I paid the incorrect amount on the business. I was responsible for a number of employees,” which ranged from four to 16. “I want to pay whatever is left.”

When asked if he thinks this hurts his reputation as a candidate for county engineer, Ginnetti said, “In a way, it shows my integrity. I came forward.”

Ginnetti sold GMS in 2006 to R.D. Zande & Associates, an engineering consulting firm, leaving in 2008, when the company was sold to Stantec, a global design and consulting business, that shut down the local office.

Ginnetti then went to work for the Ohio Department of Natural Resources’ abandoned mine-land section’s acid mine division, leaving that state job last year to concentrate on running for county engineer. He now works for a Cranberry, Pa., engineering firm.

Ginnetti received the endorsement of the county Democratic Party’s central committee on Dec. 7 over four-term incumbent Engineer Richard Marsico. After losing the endorsement, Marsico withdrew from the March 6 Democratic primary, leaving Ginnetti as the lone candidate.

Republicans don’t have a candidate on the ballot for county engineer, which pays $99,209 in salary a year. The filing deadline for independents is March 5.

When asked about Ginnetti’s tax lien, Mahoning Democratic Chairman David Betras said, “I’m confident it’s not an indication [of a problem] or anything negative” that would impact his ability to serve as county engineer.

“I’m satisfied with his explanation and happy to say he’s an endorsed Democratic candidate.”

Comments

1ytownsteelman(627 comments)posted 2 years, 5 months ago

This is understandable. Not even the Secretary of the Treasury or the Chair of the House Ways and Means Committee apparently can understand tax laws. I'll bet most of us are in violation of some section of the tax code right now but don't know it.

2Photoman(993 comments)posted 2 years, 5 months ago

The IRS is frequently used by opponents of one who is running for an elected office. In this case that doesn't appear to be the case, however, ....

3pwhite1027(105 comments)posted 2 years, 5 months ago

Of course betrass supports him. What do we expect?
We need a bunch of new crooks to run the county.

4johnyoung(238 comments)posted 2 years, 5 months ago

Quite a group of candidates this Betras-led democratic party has put forward. If elected, I predict all of these endorsees will be 'one-termers'.

5johnyoung(238 comments)posted 2 years, 5 months ago

Ginnetti says: "I'm not super proud of my mistake". By saying this is he implying that he is 'just a little bit', or maybe 'moderately' proud of his mistake???

Sounds like we'll be begging for Marsico to come back after this guy has his chance to show the public what he can do.

6jimmyd123(196 comments)posted 2 years, 5 months ago

If some of you people think he was trying to get away with something, then why did he, Ginnetti, contact the IRS himself after he found the mistake??? Don't you think if he wanted to try and get away with it he would not have contacted the IRS on his own??? He would have waited until they found the error which could have taken years...but no, he stepped up like a man and did the right thing. I'm sure most of you have claimed more on your taxes from a donation than what you really gave.

7redvert(2046 comments)posted 2 years, 5 months ago

Let me address a couple comments here.

1) steelman, I would bet that our idiot secretary of the treasury that "can not understand TurboTax" his words not mine, would like it if everybody was as gullible as you.

2) Johnyoung, in Ytown, If Betras endorsed Jack the Ripper he would be elected and reelected by the lemmings in Ytown. These clowns have voted as the are instructed for 60 years at least and how has it worked out so far???

8jeepers(127 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

Well,surprise,a citizen running for office in Mahoning Cty. has a legal issue. But it is only a small infraction and like he said, "I owned up to it". Since he is endorsed by the dems-all is ok here in the county. Hope the engineers office isnt too complex for him to figure out without running afoul of the fed. Only time will tell. Doesnt everybody do it?{cheat on taxes?}