Racist text riles race for Mahoning County prosecutor

Published: Wed, February 22, 2012 @ 12:10 a.m.

SEE ALSO: IRS issues lien of $27K against engineer hopeful

By Peter H. Milliken & David Skolnick

news@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

The heat has been turned up in the race for Mahoning County prosecutor.

Atty. Scott Cochran, a supporter of incumbent prosecutor Paul J. Gains, has been sending documents to the press that contain racist text messages alleged to have been made by either city Prosecutor Jay Macejko, Gains’ opponent, or a person in Macejko’s office.

The messages are about President Barack Obama and Bassil Ally, an assistant city prosecutor, who sued the city and Macejko for discrimination.

Cochran represents the Islamic Society of Greater Youngstown, which sought unsealing of all documents in a federal lawsuit successfully lodged against the city to call attention to discrimination against Muslims and promote tolerance for them.

Ally alleged the city and Macejko discriminated against him based on his Muslim faith. He was awarded a $110,000 lump sum and a $4,000 annual pay raise, boosting his salary to $65,621 when his lawsuit was settled last fall without a trial.

Macejko adamantly denies any wrongdoing, saying Gains is trying to smear him and his campaign. Macejko has the endorsement of the Mahoning County Democratic Party for the March 6 primary election.

On Tuesday, the city’s lawyers asked U.S. District Court Judge Christopher A. Boyko, who presided over the lawsuit, to find Cochran in contempt of court for releasing these materials, saying Cochran did not meet the judge’s requirement that confidential legal discussions in the prosecutor’s office and medical information be redacted before anything is released.

Citing the negative comments about the president and Ally, Gains late Tuesday afternoon called for the party to rescind its endorsement of Macejko in a prepared statement released by Gains’ publicist, Carolyn Rubenstein.

“I just received my Obama stimulus package. It was 3 pieces of chicken, a pack of kool-aid and a dime bag. Did u get yours?” read a text message in a series of texts alleged to have been exchanged between Macejko and Bret Hartup, an assistant city prosecutor.

That message was sent at 1:12 p.m. on a business day, Tuesday, April 7, 2009.

If the Obama message was generated by either Macejko or Hartup, Gains said whoever generated it “should be fired.”

Text messages between Macejko and Hartup were subpoenaed for the Ally case.

Though the court file contains a redacted exhibit featuring the text exchange originally submitted by Hartup, Judge Boyko eventually ordered Hartup to submit an unredacted version of the exchange in the judge’s office for his inspection. That document has yet to be released into the official court file.

In response to Gains’ calling for the county Democratic Party and other organizations to rescind their endorsement of Macejko, party Chairman David Betras said, “This is desperate politics by a desperate politician. Jay has told me that nothing Paul has said is true. I have no indication that it is true. Paul should debate the issues and not engage in the politics of destruction.”

Macejko denied authoring or sending the Obama text message. He said he first saw it Feb. 13 after Cochran’s email containing the texts was sent to Betras. Macejko suggested it might be spam.

“I don’t know where that quote came from. I’m not responsible for it, and it stands against everything that I believe in,” Macejko said in a recent Vindicator interview.

“I did not send that message,” he added. “That’s why the fact that it’s being attributed to me is upsetting.

“I am writing to reassure you that the party endorsed the right man for the job of Mahoning County prosecutor,” Jay Macejko said in a prepared statement submitted to the media late Tuesday by his wife, Atty. Melissa Macejko.

“I was not surprised when I learned of my opponent’s mudslinging this morning. But I am saddened,” Jay Macejko is quoted saying.

“Gutter politics and the politics of hatred and division have no place in 2012. Unfortunately, Mr. Gains remains in the past,” Macejko added.

“I am not a racist. I have never discriminated against an employee or anyone else. ... As a prosecutor, I have treated everyone fairly and never made a decision based upon race, religion or any other improper factor,” Macejko said.

Though Macejko called the Obama message offensive, he said he would not investigate the origin of the message because it’s not a criminal matter, and he has no authority to investigate it.

“I don’t even know where to start, and you’re talking about a text message that we have no idea where it came from three years ago,” he told The Vindicator.

Hartup, Ally, and Ally’s lawyer, Ron Yarwood, could not be reached for comment for this story.

“I’m not behind any of this,” Gains said, referring to release of the Ally lawsuit materials.

He characterized the Obama quote as racist, however, and said of it: “The public has a right to know of this racist behavior.”

If that text message appeared on any message exchange list among assistant county prosecutors, Gains said he would investigate the matter and “immediately” fire anyone on his staff who would send such a text message.

“We have to prosecute people of all colors, creeds, and religions, and we cannot have anybody with racist tendencies prosecuting these people,” Gains said.

Cochran shared a photocopy of a document containing the Obama text with members of the media last week. The Vindicator, because of the court’s sealing order, has been unable to independently verify the authenticity of the document.

Daniel M. Connell, a Cleveland lawyer who represented Ally during the federal lawsuit, but whose representation of Ally has ended, declined to provide The Vindicator with an unedited transcript of all text messages between Hartup and Macejko that were introduced into the Bassil Ally case.

Cochran acknowledged that his law firm, Atway and Cochran, gave $250 this year and $300 last year to Gains’ re-election campaign. Atway and Ally are cousins.

Cochran also said he urged members of the Islamic Society and others to contribute to Gains’ campaign during a meeting in his office to discuss the Ally case and the motion for document unsealing.

“The society wanted the public to see what happened to Bassil Ally,” who is a member of that society, Cochran said.

Cochran admits he has a “bias” against Macejko and “an agenda because of what [Macejko] did to my partner’s cousin.”

Judge Boyko ruled Feb. 13 that the parties in the case were now free to release materials they received in evidence exchange in the case as long as Social Security numbers and medical information are redacted from them.

The judge gave the parties until today to deliver copies of all sealed documents filed with the court with Social Security numbers and medical information redacted before he unseals them.

While the case was pending, the parties agreed to keep certain documents sealed, but none of them objected to release of the sealed materials now that the case has been settled, provided the necessary redactions were made.

Macejko acknowledged sending Hartup several derogatory text messages concerning Ally at the beginning of 2009.

“Guess who’s starting the new year off right? That’s correct! The POS is “sick!,” Macejko texted Hartup at 7:46 a.m. Jan. 5, 2009.

In his deposition in the case, Hartup said he understood Macejko was using a popular abbreviation to refer to a piece of excrement.

“Hallejuah! It must be the same miraculous power that has healed the prince. We are a truly blessed office,” Macejko texted Hartup at 7:43 a.m. on Jan. 7, 2009.

Asked if he thought those were racial and ethnic slurs against Islamic people, Macejko exclaimed: “Absolutely not!” and said he made those comments in “a moment of frustration” concerning Ally’s absence. “I never discriminated against this guy,” Macejko added.

“I wasn’t raised to hate, and I’m not teaching my kids to hate,” he said. “I treat people equally and fairly every day.”

Hartup acknowledged in his deposition that he had heard Macejko disparagingly refer to Ally on several other occasions, according to a public court filing by Ally.

“That demonstrates lack of maturity to refer to your employees in that derogatory manner. It just shows a lack of temperance,” Gains said.

Judge Boyko wrote in his recent order concerning document unsealing, “Bassil Ally, while employed as a prosecutor with the City of Youngstown, experienced unlawful discrimination and retaliation on the basis of his Muslim faith.”

Comments

1Southside_Res(172 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Ewwww, this is looking kinda ugly for Macejko. I don't want a prosecutor who might be racist.

2WC(8 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

If Attorney Macejko has truly only known about this text for the past week, why have no actions been taken by him or Mayor Sammarone who is responsible to a constituency of largely African Americans voters? That attitude of racial superiority is dangerous in powerful positions (like a Prosecutor) where peoples liberty is so easily taken away. If Attorney Ally is a "POS" according to Macejko then it is not a far leap to imagine him texting about President Obama.

Wake up Attorney Hartup....you are being thrown under the proverbial bus.

3Caliber380(41 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

It's not mudslinging, or a smear campaign when you are telling the TRUTH!. Now here is a guy calling Mudslinging when if I recall about 4 weeks ago He called Gains a "drunk".

Macejko is a pathological liar and the truth is coming out, they tried but could not keep his racial documents sealed.

4johnyoung(241 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Just based on what is verifiable thus far, I truly don't understand how anyone in this community can continue to support Macejko. Aside from the racial slurs and discrimination, one of the most disturbing comments speaking to his veracity to lead and manage people is his response regarding what he will do about racist and derogatory messages originating from his office: “I don’t even know where to start"...

Well Mr. Macejko, I have a suggestion on where you can start: How about an administrative investigation and then appropriate disciplinary action against any of your staff members who have violated the city's internet use and discriminatory work practices? After all, as the chief administrator of the City Prosecutor's office, is that not your obligation to the people? Check with the Youngstown Human Relations Commission, I'm sure they'd be glad to assist and point you in the right direction!

This fella needs to be sent on his way. He has no business serving the public in either elected or appointed office in this or any other community.

Betras should also be ashamed of himself for ignoring the facts before his eyes and his inane efforts of damage control.

I call on Mayor Sammarone to release Mr. Macejko immediately!

5whit1980(10 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Macejko won't admit to them and Betras backs him up. Surprise Surprise! The texts were subpoenaed from Hartrup and were texts between Macejko and Hartrup for the lawsuit and Macejko now claims that he's never seen them before this February? He would have seen them when the federal suit was pending and when Hartrup turned them over. Macejko knows he sent them, he just expects us to believe his lies. It seems that this guy just lies and lies and lies and now not only is he a liar, he appears to be a racist. Ugh. I agree with WC, this guy would be dangerous with any power.

6Rooster(78 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

I wish this newspaper would think of what the average folks would like to know about a story. I get that this employee had some religious issues on the line here. But I thought I read somewhere he needed to say his prayers on Fridays. I thought that's why those prayer rugs were portable. Just saying. I worked overseas some and as long as these rugs were laid out in the right direction, seemed like these prayers were getting done. Other than praying towards the east, I didn't think it took much more trouble than your average protestant. Anyway, too bad some smart alec forgot where he was working and cost us extra insurance premium with his big mouth. I'd worry more about the stupidity level than racism. Usually takes a stupid person to get in these pickles. I'm also not feeling easy about someone getting in there that likes to work under the table with folks having reasons to get grateful to him. Poor old Gains is just got one kind of problem seems like, but at least its got nothing to do with money. Best we can hope for in these parts.

7Caliber380(41 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Falcon eddy, you make some good points, However without plea deals you would clog the courts, You have witness problems etc, There is a lot more to it than just stopping plea deals.
All office holders want more money in their budgets, Gains stayed in his budget and gave back 8K to the general fund. Again there is more to research. As for the prayers Rooster, I believe it wasn't so much the problem with him praying But the way he was treated when he was fired then reinstated. Macejko denies it all, that troubles Me since there is plenty of documents that Backs up Gaines's claims. Macejko has not produced one bit of evidence to support his accusations.

8Lifes2Short(3877 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

9BrothaLove(81 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Lifes2Short

Based on your past post, you are more of a bigot than anybody in public office so it does not surprise me that you would come to the defense of someone whose moral character — on the topic of race anyway — has come into question.

Feel guilty much?!?!?!?!

10legend33(169 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Really, do we need to pray at work? Is life that bad? Maybe they ought to pray for the people out of work!

11yng00128(67 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

The sad thing is my high school student council ran more professional and mature races than what we are seeing now. They call themselves adults........Shame Shame!!!!!!

12kensgirl(603 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

People have to learn not to send derogatory calls/texts to anyone unless they want them posted. Politicians should know this better than anybody. Macejko surrounds himself with people I wouldn't want as neighbors let alone running the county. You are who you run with Jay. People of this county aren't stupid. We've lived through the worst kind of politics there was - back in the 60's and 70's. I thought this kind of scummy behavior was driven out. No one wants another Virgil Salotso - uh I mean a Don Hanni type. Let's get back to real politics and put Paul where he belongs, in the County Prosecutor's Chair.

13commoncitizen(961 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Stop, Ally could'nt run because he wouldn't be able to work Friday afternoons.
Must be nice when you can pick the work days and hours you want. I wonder how many other jobs a person can do this and end up getting a raise and a "bonuis"?

14Ypublius(21 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

"A text from 2009 and a employee that didn't want to work on Friday's and everyone calls this guy a racist. Really? I'm not sure who I'm going to vote for but leave the guy alone on being a racist. Everyone's using the racist word way to much in society these days. If that's the case then everyone is a racist..." That may be the best lay-person characterization of this fiasco!

Gains is trash and no one cares about any of this crap! That text referred to above was a canned, mass-media-style text/picture message that 100,000,000 million people forwarded around the country, and that could have easily been sent or recieved without someone's actual knowledge......IS THAT ALL THE GAINS' PEOPLE HAVE? Wait til tonight when the moron goes on TV against Macejko? Did anyone see him on 21? He can barely control himself!

BYE PAUL!

15pwhite1027(106 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Boy what a choice we have for prosecutor:

A drunk or a racist? Hmmm.

I'll take the drunk who put his life on the line for Mahoning County over the racist that is so stupid he texts racist slurs on taxpayer time. and then says his email account was hacked. Good one.

16ahCanfield(5 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Doesn't anyone else think the timing of this release by Gains is quite convenient? Tonight is the scheduled debate between the two . . . the debate that Gains never wanted to have.

Everyone is jumping to concolusions about Macejko and who sent what, which is exactly what Gains wants. If in fact Macejko was the recipient of the texts, that is beyond his control. Also mind you that Gains has a lawsuit pending against him by this same Islamic guy.

Don't get caught up in the one liners of dirty politics. Do your research, think about the problems of our city/county then make a decision.

I've personally seen Gains in action and he is VERY quick to work out a plea deal instead of strong, hard prosecution.

I've met both individuals and I would trust Macejko ANY day over Gains. It's time for some new blood.

17Lifes2Short(3877 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

brother

"Lifes2Short

Feel guilty much?!?!?!?!

Guilty about what? Humor me and explain that. I have nothing to be guilty of and for your information, go back on my comments and show me ONE racist comment. ONE. You people are the ones that have a problem where everything is racist. I have a issue when someone claims someone is a racist when they don't even know the person. Get off the old age excuse and move on with life Skippy.

Once again a text from 2009 that was spam and ONE person who don't want to work on Friday's. And you judge that person a racist. smh at the stupidity of people.

Vote for the one that will make a difference in Youngstown instead of complaining about a spam text and ONE guys money making lawsuit.

18Caliber380(41 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Canfield, GAINS DOES NOT HAVE A LAWSUIT AGAINST HIM BY THE SAME MAN! That is another Macejko LIE Basil Ally never even worked for Gains. Basil has no lawsuit against Gains.
The timing is because Macejko tried to keep all these records sealed!

Do your homework before you type.

19uptowngirl(111 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Pwhite1027--Nobody seems to remember that when Gains was shot--he "identified" the wrong shooter, prosecuted and jailed an innocent man. The person Gains identified was of the wrong race and much smaller stature than the actual perp. The prosecution and incarceration of the innocent man cost the county millions. Put his life on the line--give me a break, what he did was an embarassment to the county. Gains shuld have resigned the day the real perp was convicted. The Prosecutor's Office wonders why witnesses never come forward, really? Not only was Gain's memory clouded but, the prosecuters office obvious did a less than sufficient job of investigating the shooting.

20Caliber380(41 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Uptown, have you ever seen Batcho? I have seen pictures of him- at least 6 and he looks different in each picture. Why don't you call Gains and ask him how he felt after he found out he identified the wrong Man?? His number is listed in the book. I can assure you he felt TERRIBLE. He won't hide or lie like his opponent does. he will admit he made a mistake unlike Jay

21Rooster(78 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

I'm with you there pwhite. Better a drunk than a smart alecky big mouth with no brains and a worse character problem than being fond of the bottle. Like I said, who knows anymore about the racism thing, I probably fit someones definition myself. But stupid isn't too hard to figure out. Those twittering tweeting email statements goes to a lack of character and no professionalism at all. Folks complain about Gains and his budget fights. Heres the deal - that's actually a pretty good clue that the guy's not on the take, see? Those guys on the take, they don't want a lot of budget talk going on, don't want the scrutiny, they're more involved with what they're taking in on the side and doing favors for folks in need of some purchase power. They're too smart to get in the papers wanting more money from the taxpayers. Last thing they want is to rock to boat, they want folks happy. Old Gains just wants to hire some quality help, and pay on top of the table for what goes on. The guy's not money motivated, anyone could see that. He's not wanting money for himself, that budget fighting just means someone has to cut somewhere else, thats all. I don't see where stupid is an improvement here.

22Silence_Dogood(1341 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

uptowngirl
"Gain's memory clouded" That was due to the fact that he was DRUNK. This man drove home from a bar drunk and within five minutes was shot. And he is the top law enforcer in the county, what a joke.

23BdmnBlogger(1 comment)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Kensgirl,
Can you please be more specific about the people Macejko surrounds himself with?

24spinman(70 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

I have personally witnessed GAINS bragging about how he quote "Started "DRIVE BYEs"...How many cases/trials did Gains actually handle prior to becoming County Prosecutor ????

25Rooster(78 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Well of course anyone would wish we had better, but better's not running against him. We have to choose between the two. It's not a pretty choice, but we have no choice but to make one. Perry Mason isn't in the running here.

26Tigerlily(488 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Someone said they can't believe the idea that his email was hacked. I don't care either way, but your'e stupid if you don't think these politicians (AKA: people fighting over control of taxpayer money to line their own pockets) won't go to ruthless ends in order to smear one another so they can win and get that money.

Email hacked, someone else wrote it, time stamped it at an earlier date? It's possible. It's been done, in fact.

Maybe there should be an investigation not into who is racist, but whether that email or text was truly written by the account owner.

Will that happen? You kidding me? No way. Because that might mean working for the truth instead of going on speculation and hearsay.

Gossip. All of this is silly gossip. Quite fitting for a gossip rag like the Vindy!

27DwightK(1256 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Unless the author of the comment can be determined, it shouldn't be published.

28AverageJoe12(2 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Im going to start off by saying, Ypublius, you clearly a child. Do you even pay attention to what your are writing? Jay may not be able to control what people send him, but he does control what HE SENDS. These messages were sent from Jay to Brent (back and forth.) Your going to sit there and say its okay for a PROSECUTOR to make racial jokes and discriminate against people because of their religion and race? I pitty you, for even thinking Jay was a decent person. Are you aware that Jay is being/has been sued by 2 seperate individuals who work under him, yes one being Basil. Jay did not like Basil because he was FAIR, he was not bias about anything, he seen both sides of the cases and handled it in an HONEST manner. It was always one sided with Jay, hes not fair, and not only was he not fair to the said 'criminals' he is unfair to Defense Attnys as well. The other case is a woman who filed a suit agains him because he wanted her to LIE for him. Are you serious? This just shows how much a TINY bit of power will do to an immature moron. You want an prosecutor on a POWER TRIP to be in Gains position? I think that is the worst thing this community could do.

Actually, When it comes down to it...NEITHER one should be prosecutor.

I will also say this, people will say whatever they want about Gains, call him a drunk, lazy, anything they want to; he has been runing the prosecutors office for quite some time now, he knows what he is doing and regardless if he is a 'drunk' or not, he has a great group of assistant prosecutors under him and the system runs smooth. If you put Jay where Gains is, it will be a zoo. Jay is immature, irresponsible, and clearly does not care about the community.

And btw, Basil doesnot take the whole day off on fridays, just an HOUR to pray...People need to get their facts straight before saying anything.

29jimmyd123(196 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Average Joe. The way things are coming out about both of these guys, your right neither should be elected. I do have one thing to say about Basil praying. Why didn't he use his lunch hour to pray??? Do you really need a whole hour to pray????

30AverageJoe12(2 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

I do not know the inside and outs of the religion, but i do know one of my previous employers always left work fridays from 12pm to 1pm and prayed. It is one hour of one day...and to be honest, i do not think that should not even be questioned...It doesn't matter when or how someone prays...it matters that Jay disgraced our city...making Youngstown look worse than it already is.

31Rooster(78 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Like I always say, this paper leaves a lot of stuff out. Where are these two contenders from anyway? Where'd they go to school and what did they do before they worked for us taxpayers?

32Caliber380(41 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Rooster......
Paul's Qualifications:

Mahoning County Prosecutor for more than 12 years, a licensed practicing attorney for 26 years -- 15 in private practice, primarily of the defense of police officers sued for civil rights violations, public sector labor relations, and criminal defense.

Tried jury trials in Ohio Common Pleas Courts and the Federal Courts, and is probably the only elected prosecuting attorney who has both defended and prosecuted death penalty cases.

In 1993, shared the Mahoning County Bar Association “Lawyer of the Year” award with Attorney Mary Jane Stephens for a diligent effort to free a wrongly imprisoned man.

Over 9 years service as a police officer with the Youngstown Police Department.

Served as President of the Youngstown Fraternal Order of Police, negotiating a contract with the City of Youngstown in 1978, and gaining valuable experience in public sector labor law, which is a large part of the prosecutor’s office.

As for That guy named Jay, I don't think he has any qualifications :)

33joe1616(52 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

isnt the election supposed to be about qualifications? let's all vote for Gains so more serious cases can be screwed up and dismissed.

34jimmyd123(196 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Caliber you forgot one qualification. He is #1 at happy hour as well.

35redvert(2064 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

All the voters need to know is who Betras has blessed. Once the democrats in the county know who that is they will follow directions and vote for that person. It is as simple as that and you all know it.

What do you expect, the libs to start thinking for themselves? We will not have any of that crap!!!

36jimmyd123(196 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Ok who just watched the debate???? I really don't think I can vote for either one..

37kensgirl(603 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Looks like Gains won the debate! Macejko was so scripted it was a joke. Call Gains what you want but at least he doesn't slither.

38jimmyd123(196 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

When somone has to ask " am I done" Paul really had no idea what was going on. Jay just kept reading from a script. They should have a public debate.

39juggygails(24 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

kensgirl, What debate were YOU watching!?!? If you actually believe that then I have absolutely zero faith in the competency of the voters of this area.
@jimmyd123: The moderator should have answered him "Yeah Paul you are so done that we should stick a fork in you."

40whit1980(10 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Jay said again he never discriminated...then why were you ordered by the judge to write a letter of apology? and why would you agree to it if you didn't do anything wrong? and he previously said he had no idea about the racist texts regarding the obama stimulus package and getting his fried chicken and dime bag but he said tonight on the debate that those texts were from private phones. Yep, his private phone...A man like that with power is a scary proposition! Someone said let's just elect him and if he doesn't do good we can elect someone else in 4 years. That's a ridiculous idea. Imagine how much damage a man like that can do in 4 years. I'm sticking with Paul Gains. He made a good point tonight-he's never been involved in any scandals like Macejko.

41CountryGirl51(197 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Macejko lied tonight, once again ! And every word was so scripted !! Id never believe anything from his mouth ! Gains has proven himself over the years. Macejko, trying to talk big and doesnt even know his facts or trying to twist and turn things around to make things look good on his part.

42Caliber380(41 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Gains always said. stick with the truth- The truth never changes!

Jay has proven tonight he can't be trusted, a few weeks ago the discrimination suit and the text never existed, Now .... maybe they did? Jay... you are hiding the truth!

Strike #3 just hit you tonight.

43Ypublius(21 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Why when Paul was asked about the 9 murder cases that were dismissed due to his incompetence, he discussed his work on a budgetary committee with the auditor? And then his answer was that he(Gains) had to help the auditor figue out what to do with the 8 million surplus?

8 million would go a long way at the V2 bar, Paul!

Anyway..................if feel bad for the Gains' people because Paul looked exactly how everyone knew he would: insecure, crazy, and like he just rolled out of bed. Gains' answers were all over the place, and hodgepodged, and has ruined any chance of making this Basil Ally Boolcrap a real issue. Gains beat it to the ground and looked like an old, physically beat-up drunk who is running scared.

Macejko looked prosecutorial in the debate tonight. Macejko looked like someone who people want representing their interests. Macejko stuck to the real issues: Gains' staff and the county prosecutor's office is completely dysfunctional and needs purged.

Even the 21 reporters aknowledged that Macejko was a real prosecutor when they asked Gains about the last time he went to court!!! HAHAHAHA Of course the weirdo-Gains responded how busy he is in the civil division....really Paul? How busy are you there????

After watching Gains in this debate I am asured of two facts:
1. Macejko wins big.
2. Gains is the dude that when Gains get drunk in a bar, every woman begins to feel uncomfortable and wants to leave.

I've heard different people called Gains' a "ladies man"...what normal woman would even go near Paul Gains?

PS...PAUL, EVERYONE OF YOUR ASSISTANT PROSECUTORS THAT TELLS YOU THAT YOU DID A "GOOD JOB" IN THE DEBATE, IS LYING TO YOU BECAUSE THEY ARE AFRAID.

44Bman(151 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Well said ypublius!

380, you almost had be believing that you weren't a paid political hack for Gains because you sandbagged over the Ally case. So kudos to you, sir...However, you tipped your hand tonight by listing Gains qualifications in a posting above. I am sorry then because it must have been painful watching Gains in that live debate tonight not be able to put coherent thoughts together. Gains has come a long way from 1993...that's what 20 years of hard drinking will do to a person. Regardless, you must be a person that gets his paychecks from Mr. Fast-talker-Gains!

Regarding the "Jay looks scripted" comments above.....it really wasn't that Jay was scripted per se, but rather that Gains looked like a kindergardner/1st grader after recess, so that made Jay appear to be far more prepared than he actually was....Jay is a prosecutor not a professional poltician so you could tell he was nervous a little (in a good way), but Jay stuck to the issues of Gains' incompetence and all the panelists reinforced it.

Is it a coincidence that the panelists all kept asking about the murders/cases and how cases are not handled properly??? These people live around the local news and what goes on in government on a daily basis....they know Gains is horrible but they cannot proclaim it because Gains is a big bully drunk and the media is afraid of him, too.

Macejko calling out Gains and luring him into the public eye tonight on live TV could not have worked better! How many people laughed at Gains?...If I didn't really like Macejko and wasn't ticked-off over how slimy Gains' smear campaign is, I would be truly entertained by Gains. Paul is like watching Strom Thurman speak, when Thurman was 98 and still in the US Senate....you never knew how crazy and incoherent Thurman would be! And Gains is like his twin! Again, if the prosecutor wasn't a very important position, Gains would be entertaining but this idiot must go.

When Gains lost his train of thought and lashed out with, "uh....am I still....on?" Did anyone else retort loudly, "yes idiot, you are!" A reasonable person would conclude, after 16 years of being in office, Gains should know how to act on TV.

Mr. Gains, Leo Jennings must need to give you extra lessons on public appearances and public conduct.

45Bman(151 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

www.jay2012.com

46walter_sobchak(1909 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

I don't have a horse in this race but here was my take on the debate. Gains looked hideously unprepared and uncomfortable. Macejko looked too much like a snake-oil salesman. My vote goes to the guy that can survive a mob hit.

47CountryGirl51(197 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

"Macejko calling out Gains and luring him into the public eye tonight on live TV could not have worked better! How many people laughed at Gains?"

Oh How many people must have been laughing at Mecejko over his lies and Blunders !!

48praxis95(51 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

An allegation of racism has arisen in the prosecutor’s race based on a text critical of the president’s stimulus in 2009. The allegation was leaved without any examination of the content of the text. Before one can say the author of the text is a racist or had a racist motivation you have to ask have I inferred what the author implied. The author of the text was mocking the presidents stimulus package and clearly skeptical that the stimulus would have the economic impact claimed by the president. The author of the text stated that the value of the stimulus was worth very little, 3 pieces of fried chicken some cool aid and a dime bag. To claim with certainty that the text is racist one must be certain that the items available for purchase by the stimulus are purchased only blacks or synonymous with the black community. This requires three assumptions’; first that non blacks do not like fried chicken, Second, non-blacks do not drink cool-aid, and Third that non-blacks do not smoke the content of a dime bag. I would submit that the life experiences of us all clearly establish that those assumptions are false. SO since the author of the text did not include an item synonymous with or exclusive to the black community, I ask you who’s the racist the author or the text or the person hoping to benefit by the accusation of racism?

49Billweaver480(52 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

On Sunday Feb19th Peter Milliken from the Youngstown Vindicator quoted Jay Macejko ..

.. Macejko said Ally Was never fired, and Macejko denied discriminating against him.
Below is the court document Bassil sent to jay and Jay's sticky note to Iris Guglucello.

It was Jay's intention to Fire Ally as seen from this next document he sent to Iris after Firing Ally.

Shortly after... HE WASN'T FIRED BECAUSE "Jay it turns out didn't actually have the authority"

Iris G. said - YOU'RE ON PAID ADMINISTRATIVE LEAVE UNTIL AFTER THE WEEKEND AND A FEW DAYS PASSED - So if you want to say - "YOUr FIRED" - hey - the courts Felt that Ally suffered in the manner like a FIRED PERSON WOULD - and Jay Macejko - certainly thought HE WAS FIRING BASSIL ALLY - if you want to call it a "FIRING" which was later turned into an Administrative Leave and Discipline Investigation - But the time the Letter was 100 percent clear "JAY TOLD ALLY YOU'RE FIRED" AND THOUGHT HE HAD THE CLEAR RIGHT TO DO SO !!!!

So Jay says he never fired him? look again.

50Bman(151 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

You would think the Gains' people would look to the absolute ineptness of the prosectutor's office and try to do damage control over the lives they've helped ruin.

9 murders are roaming Mahoning county, because of Gains' motley crew.

The lady at St. Dom's was in-fact killed because of Gains' office's mistake.

Robbery suspects get probation and ZERO bonds and prosecutor's never object or attempt to fight about a higher bond!

The drunk's response in the debate to these real issues was "daaa uuhhh I have other duties....duhhh..."

One would think a real "prosecutor's" main duty would be to lock up criminals and leave budgets and civil stuff to other people....not Gain-sie! Actually, he is probably doing none of the above and just out drinking on the county dime!

What's shocking is that this Ally boolsheet is all anyone can say from Gain-sie's office!?!? Everyone in Mahoning county wants to have a logical discussion about why nobody goes to prison in Mahoning county, and Gain-sie wants to discuss the Ally case. Why???????? Because Gain-sie's staff is terrible and they let criminal out of jail because of their poor performance, so why would they want to discuss real facts and figures, which embarass these people. Has anyone asked why ALL THE LOCAL POLICE AGENCIES HAVE ENDORSED OR SUPPORTED JAY MACEJKO? ...Probably because local cops know how disfunctional Gain-sie's office is and are sincerely tired of it.

Jay Macejko is the only real prosecutor running for the prosecutor's office. That is an impossible fact to hide, from the general public. None of the mud slinging can hide Jay's comittment to criminal justice in Mahoning and mud slinging cannot hide the fact Gain-sie has serious personal issues.

Hence the motto where this whole campaign started.....

"It's time to put a prosecutor in the prosecutor's office!"

www.jay2012.com

51Caliber380(41 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

BMan, how about providing some proof to back up your claims? you don't have it! Funny, jay says the world is flat and you believe him!. won't take a rocket scientist to figure that jay is a pathological liar. I also see a trend that he feels that he can do no wrong and has not done anything wrong no matter what proof there is. Jay Macejko is a dangerous person

52tburk1(30 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Here's my measly two-cents. While, I think the texts were in poor taste for someone in his position, IF he did send the text I don't see it making him a racist. Instead he is one of many who forwarded that email.

Having said that, IF it is PROVEN that he sent that text, he loses my vote and his sign in my yard will be in the garbage.

Why? Certainly not because I think he's a racist, but rather because he lied by saying he didn't. Clinton lost my vote for the same reason--- LYING!

Until such time as it's proven, he has my vote. I sure hope he didn't lie, because god knows I don't want another term of Paul Gains.

53Brutus2012(1 comment)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Something smells rotten, particularly since Gains himself has also made implicitly racist comments, according to my sources. Why is he not being prosecuted for contempt in this instance? Gains is incompetent, vindictive, and power-hungry all at the same time, and that is a lethal combination for the county. As low as politics in the valley have been to date, they have just gotten worse. Gains needs to go!!!

54Billweaver480(52 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

For you folks that think Jay Macejko did not make racist remarks, did not fire Bassil Ally or do anything wrong whatsoever need to look at the documents listed on this web page.

55Bman(151 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Brutus, well said.

Clearly, Gains cannot talk about his horrific record over the past 15 years in office and that Gains believes the entire race is about Jay Macejko. AND I AGREE 100%!

This race is all about Macejko!

Jay Macejko....the only real prosecutor in the race for Mahoning county prosecutor!

www.jay2012.com

56Bman(151 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

What normal incumbant in the USA, who has been in office for as long as Paul Gains, does not run on his own record? What office-holder gets a chance to go on live-TV and never discusses his own accomplishments?

www.jay2012.com

57Billweaver480(52 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

The truth about your Jay is listed on this site.
Macejko is a huge liability to the city, If he gets in the county it will be BAD

58Bman(151 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

How about the Gains people start a website, which touts all that Paul Gains has done?

Let felons/killers go free? Help purchase OakHill? Terrorize local pubs? Bed other men's wives? Male modeling? Give Leo Jennings a job during Leo's forced-retirement? Accuse local janitors of crimes they did not commit?

59Caliber380(41 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Bman, probably because there is nothing to back up those claims with. You are just like Jay, Most accusations that are untrue. That site has proof that Jay is a racist!

60tburk1(30 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

I think Gains has done a poor job. As a veteran prosecutor, he should be standing on his record. Why isn't he? I think we all know the answer.

61CountryGirl51(197 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Thanks BillWeaver480 !! Wish everybody would go to that site.. The Proof is all there !!! Who would ever vote for Macejko after reading that, is just plain Dumb !!!

62Caliber380(41 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Thank you BillWeaver480. Great informative site.

As for you BMAN, Bedding other Men's wives?? Male modeling? Really,Where did this information come from? Perhaps you were there? LMAO OMG you Macejko supporters are starting to get desperate. I have to say you gave Me a good laugh.

VOTE FOR GAINS

63Bman(151 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

So we are at a stand-still....with Gains' employees and family signing up for Vindy accounts to trash Macejko, and not being able to run on any record of being a semi-decent prosecutor.

Gains' campaign SHOULD be based on his 15 tenure in office, and not based on purely smearing a viable opponent.

Macejko's campaign message is simple and reasonating with Mahoning county residents: the time for a change is now. Stop letting violent felons and killers walk free out of the courthouse because of incompetent prosecutors. Stop putting all the police agencies' hard work in investigating crime to waste due to incompentence by prosecutors.

Residents will be electing someone who will be accountable rather than the blathering, excuse-maker that everyone observed on WFMJ's debate last Wednesday.

This election has been about Macejko and his experience and ability from the start and Gains' campaign knows it! That's why all the negative attacks. Macejko is too accomplished, too knowledgable, and too many regular people support him.

"It's time to put a prosecutor in the prosecutor's office.."

www.jay2012.com

64jokerman(6 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Hey Bman, you going to get a job on Jay's staff if he wins? Well, keep your day job, every day, Macejko's lies are exposed and his political ship sinks deeper and deeper. Even the Vindi editorial said Macejko's explanations defy logic.

Jay and all his half-truths and mistruths have been exposed and all the momentum is going Gains way. He picked up endorsements today and last week and the Vindi knocked your guy on his rear.

So, if I were you, instead of trolling these boards making your ridiculous points, I'd spend my time trying to stop the Jay 2012 campaign from hemorrhaging any further.

65legend33(169 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Either one of these guys is better than that red headed fairy we had throwing cases in the late 80's!

66praxis95(51 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

The vindy supported someone they recognized as incompetent, the vindy and gains a birds of a father.

67Billweaver480(52 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Vindicator should do some investigative reporting.
Bassil Ally case # 4:09-cv-01144-
Doc # 210 filed 02/29/12 1-7 pages Phone text-
( Jay personal )
look at page 4 has Obama stimulus..
But really look at page 3- about 9 lines down in reference to the Cafaro corp. - yet Jay denies having any interest in Cafaro's Business.

68Billweaver480(52 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

HERE WE GO.......

69Bman(151 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Can anyone who supports Gains say anything about his performance as a prosecutor? Or is this race all about Macejko?

Mahoning county recognizes a need for a change in the prosecutor's office.

www.jay2012.com

70Billweaver480(52 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Bman, It is all about Jay and his criminal behavior, Lies and half truths. See the website below for the truth on Jay Macejko.

71praxis95(51 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

billweaver, your web site does not prove anything. Documents filed in support of an allegation do not prove the allegation. Fact is that documents filed in support of an allegation may not be admissible as evidence in the trial of the matter. Fact is the allegation never had to with stand the scrutiny of a trial b/c the case settled.
If your interest is to tell the story put the responsive pleadings on your site.

72praxis95(51 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

group2100, Mr Macejko already explain that the case came in w/o medical documents, when provided with the information it was charged appropriately. FYI 'simple battery' does not exist in the Ohio revised code, so in your next attempt to insult Mr Macejko, get your facts right.

73Billweaver480(52 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Macejko never called him back, he never cared.
And Praxis, it was a judgement.. Why has no one posted any proof to back up Jay??