Bottom Dollar stores off to top-notch start in Youngstown

Published: Sat, February 18, 2012 @ 12:01 a.m.

By JOHN W. GOODWIN JR.

and DAVID SKOLNICK

news@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

The first three Bottom Dollar grocery stores in the state have settled into Youngstown with long lines, an expectation that they will spur other retail businesses to come to the city, and virtually no criminal problems.

The three stores located on Glenwood Avenue, Midlothian Boulevard and Mahoning Avenue opened their doors last week to throngs of prospective shoppers.

A check of the stores throughout this week shows the lines have died down a little, but the aisles are still packed with shoppers.

“We’ve had real strong traffic,” said Craig McCartney, store manager at the Midlothian Boulevard location. “The weekend snow cut some of our traffic down a little.”

City officials are optimistic the Bottom Dollar stores will attract other retail businesses to the areas where the three supermarkets opened.

“It’s going to be important for the development of the Midlothian Boulevard corridor,” said Councilman John R. Swierz, D-7th, of the store on that street and in his ward. “It’s going to be an asset to the neighborhood.”

Councilman Paul Drennen, D-5th, who has the Glenwood Avenue store in his ward, said Bottom Dollar “will help spur development in that area. You’ll see other stores pop up nearby. It will also help clean up the Glenwood area. Hopefully, businesses that have caused problems, like the corner stores, will go away.”

The Mahoning Avenue store in the Mahoning Plaza should “help stores there and will help bring more stores to that area,” said Councilman Mike Ray, D-4th, whose ward includes that location. “The substantial amount of investment made by Bottom Dollar shows we have a viable economic location.”

“This is something people have been waiting for years to have — full-service grocery stores with meats and produce,” he said. “We need to make sure we support them. They’re providing a needed service.”

The company is looking to open other stores in the city, including one possibly on the East Side, Sammarone said.

A check of Youngstown police records also shows that there doesn’t seem to be very many troublemakers or criminals inside the stores.

There have been calls to police at the three stores but no calls for anything deemed major.

The Mahoning Avenue location has had only two calls to Youngstown police in the week since the store opened Feb. 9. Those calls were both for minor traffic accidents in the parking lot of the store. There were no injuries in either of those accidents.

The Glenwood location has had several calls for service to police, but most of those calls were when the alarm system was accidentally activated. Police have issued a trespass warning to one man who created a disturbance on the property last Friday.

The Midlothian location has had only one call for service to police for what could be seen as the most serious criminal activity at the stores thus far. A 26-year-old Struthers woman told police her purse was stolen while shopping.

The woman said she was shopping in the store just before 1 p.m. Monday carrying a “long and wide messenger-style purse,” which contained her $1,300 tax refund. The woman said she last remembers seeing the purse when she placed it on the counter to pay for her purchases.

The woman told police she believes she put the purse back in her shopping cart and left the store but realized it was missing when she reached her car and began to unload the cart. She is not sure if the purse was left on the counter or stolen out of the cart.

McCartney said there have been no in-store problems. He said the supermarket often has a loss-protection officer in store, but not at all times.

“We’re real happy with the neighborhood that we’re in,” he said.

McCartney said the traffic, which on Thursday had picked back up, can be attributed to the meat and fresh-produce sections.

Many pockets of Youngstown previously had gone without a full-service chain grocer and therefore had to travel longer distances than most if they wanted meats and produce.

Contributor: Karl Henkel, staff writer.

Comments

1bmanresident(597 comments)posted 2 years, 5 months ago

It will only be a matter of time until the welfare recipients start taking more than they pay for.Then that joke of a union will keep protesting and that will be the last straw,

2Ianacek(891 comments)posted 2 years, 5 months ago

I think its significant that these stores have been indirectly financed from Europe
US financiers have had a habit , especially sincve the Cleveland redlining exercise of 1937 , of fleeing neighborhoods with certain demographics , thus hastening their decline as it becomes harder & harder to get finance & insurance for houses or businesses .
If it were only buildings that deteriorated it may not matter so much , but the people who live in and around those buildings have to deteriorate too ; until a neighborhood becomes so bad , it has to be completely razed .
Europe, on the other hand , continually renews its neighborhoods .There's a "bottom line" below which their society doesn't permit a area to fall .
Also , let's not forget these stores also serve Canfield , Struthers, Austintown & Boardman as well as Youngstown . Bottom Dollar obviously sees rising consumer spending in all the areas .

3endthismess(303 comments)posted 2 years, 5 months ago

Ianacek....You are way beyond the ordinary and necessary economic rhetoric for the Mahoning Valley. Food Lion out of SC is the parent operator. I am sure their studies proved they can survive here. Youngstown has no real relationship with Europe and their grocery operators. Way toooooo cerebral for the local consumer. Come on up for air and turn off CNBC.

4arod(259 comments)posted 2 years, 5 months ago

As Whitney said, "Crack is Wack!!! I make way too much money to do crack"

5Superstar7(122 comments)posted 2 years, 5 months ago

The BOTTOM DOLLAR is...
you'll be sorry!
East side? Glenwood?
Those that refuse to learn from history are doomed to repeat the mistakes of history.

6Lifes2Short(3875 comments)posted 2 years, 5 months ago

"Over the years, full-service grocery stores have closed in the city, causing concerns for residents who have to travel to other parts of Youngstown or to the suburbs to shop, said Mayor Charles Sammarone."

And one guess why over the years these full service grocery stores have closed. Not to difficult to know the reason.

7mickeyg(6 comments)posted 2 years, 5 months ago

bottom dollar is here to stay.all of the other store ran to the suburbs. they are now feeling threaten by bottom dollar. the people commenting with their negative attitude really dont get it.i have personally seen an employee from a competing store checking the prices at bottom dollar and then went back to their store.i know them and the store they work at. now you tell me if they are worried or not

8terri1984(25 comments)posted 2 years, 5 months ago

I get so tired of all the negative comments but people have a right to write and say what they want. I hope and pray that these stores are here to stay. I hope and pray that the communitites embrace these stores and that the bad elements in the community leave the stores alone. It is very difficult for a lot of people to drive or get rides way out to Boardman, Canfield, etc just to grocery shop. I really hope that these stores are the start of the revitalization of these communities.

9MLC75(526 comments)posted 2 years, 5 months ago

I hope Bottom Dollar stays for a long time.The good people, in the areas where the stores are located,deserve it.

So many people are negative about things that don't even effect them,what a shame.

10hmm(179 comments)posted 2 years, 5 months ago

Here's a pretty simple concept .... For those making negative comments. Don't shop there AND since you don't shop there you have no reason to state your opinion and with that basis said.S T F U ..... Neighborhoods are getting back to protecting their little world and working together THANK YOU. Midlothian McD for remodeling and Food lion Corp for bring your grocery store here....

11mrblue(969 comments)posted 2 years, 5 months ago

If the Bottom Dollar stores are doing well, ( and I hope they are ) the eastside will be the next area to have a store. The other grocery stores are all watching very closely.

12Ytownnative(1014 comments)posted 2 years, 5 months ago

I went to the west side store. Its was packed but they have really good prices and a very good selection. nice clean store that was being constantly restocked. Only downside I seen was you have to get a "shoppers" card.

13hmm(179 comments)posted 2 years, 5 months ago

Just like giant eagle shopping card.... We saved 9 dollars on our following purchases ( which happened to be the next day)

14anothermike(203 comments)posted 2 years, 5 months ago

It sure is a plus for the areas where there were no longer any real grocery stores. Will be great IF they keep their prices lower after all the hoopla dies down. As far as Midlothian McDonalds, there is a plan in the works to remodel ALL of the stores . The owners have to meet brand standards. They are not spending extra money just for laughs.....

15hmm(179 comments)posted 2 years, 5 months ago

Just for laughs extra money is a profit even if it is for a capital expendiure so the remodel sure wasn't done for free or for a facility operating at a loss .. if the demographics didn't support it , THIS one won't have been the first ... Point being it was remodelled and as a franchise it has to meet brand standard. Anyway ... Unlike Morgan foods who closed a viable and. Productive KFC on South Ave because Morgan food didn't want to update ( not even remodel) the store ..... Now popeyes gets my business .

16Freeatlast(1991 comments)posted 2 years, 5 months ago

This is good and hope they make it
But I for one, will still support our local business Rulli Brothers

17normjo(6 comments)posted 2 years, 5 months ago

Great to hear of this development from a former Youngstown resident. If these Bottom Dollar stores are indeed a part of Food Lion I say RIGHT ON.....glory be!! I had 10 years experience with Food Lion in Charlotte a few years ago, both by purchasing habits and employment, yes, they were part of a Belgium investment company so, what else is new???? They were great and my sincerely, honest hope is that they remain an integral part of the community............

18Freeatlast(1991 comments)posted 2 years, 5 months ago

Toy said As for longevity, a lot depends on how well these stores are maintained.
Have you been to the Walmart in Boardman ???? That must be the dirties store in Ytown . So much for the suburbia's If you can call Boardman a suburb any more

192cents(18 comments)posted 2 years, 5 months ago

more money for China !!

20southsidedave(4777 comments)posted 2 years, 5 months ago

I like the comment "virtually no criminal problems" ....where does that originate from? Build it and the criminals will come!

21Lifes2Short(3875 comments)posted 2 years, 5 months ago

"He said the supermarket often has a loss-protection officer in store, but not at all times."

And once these animals know the schedule of these loss protection people, there be know stopping them.

I, for one, would love to see the stores thrive, I received my membership card in the mail today by the way, but once again we'll see how much pride these neighborhoods have in keeping the stores top notch. Only time will tell.

22hmm(179 comments)posted 2 years, 5 months ago

@ 2 cents I think your talking about the stuff at Walmart you know that place you shop at in Boardman ...

23hmm(179 comments)posted 2 years, 5 months ago

@ lifes2short ... In case you don't realize EVERY shopper is a "loss prevention person" at a store. SO let me clue you in skippy IF YOU don't have the gonads to get involved YOUR part of the problem like I've said, as have many of my neighbors too , my neighborHOOD is our little piece of the world we don't and have not put up with crap...

24Lifes2Short(3875 comments)posted 2 years, 5 months ago

hmmm

"@ lifes2short ... In case you don't realize EVERY shopper is a "loss prevention person" at a store."

Every shopper is a loss prevention person? Really. I would love to see a regular shopper bust someone stealing, but you know that will never happen, they just turn there heads and go on their way. The same with criminal activity. There favorite saying: I see nothing, I hear nothing and I say nothing.

"SO let me clue you in skippy IF YOU don't have the gonads to get involved YOUR part of the problem like I've said, as have many of my neighbors too , my neighborHOOD is our little piece of the world we don't and have not put up with crap..."

Einstein, I'm not going to ramble on and on about my background and what I do and what I do to help, if your interested, read some of comments talking about it. Humor me and tell me how you are involved in your neighbor Hoods safety?

25hmm(179 comments)posted 2 years, 5 months ago

@ 2 short ... No problem. I participate in my neighborhood cleanups (twice a year) as do my kids , I participate in my neighborhood block watch., I have done the general upkeep with money out of my pocket for the last 3 years on 2 vacant homes( as well as securing the ground level entrances). I watch out for my neighbors as will as help them ( reverse is also true)
All a regular shopper needs to do.is alert. Store staff of shop lifting .. I've done this numerous times at South ave Sparkles as well. Maybe you.remember the gangbanger shot in the leg on beechwood Yeah neighbors and I were involved with catching a couple (BTW Bangers.have since moved ) 2 years ago had a similar scenerio but THEY drove into the neighborhood to fight . I'm not afraid to get involved or afraid to protect others or myself. If you get involved then that's two of us but you definately don't champion the cause of Yo. Getting better with your negativity, IF you live in Youngstown.