Homeless man charged in puppy deaths

Published: Thu, February 16, 2012 @ 2:24 p.m.

Homeless man charged in puppy deaths

youngstown

The city filed charges Thursday against a 55-year-old homeless man, who police already have in custody, for the killing of two German shepherd puppies Jan. 30 in the Federal Street boulevard in front of the Western Reserve Transit Authority.

City Prosecutor Jay Macejko said William Bednar was a person of interest almost immediately after the investigation started because he has a history of animal abuse and security cameras filmed him in the area around the time of the dog killings.

Police have charged the man with two felony counts of animal cruelty, Macejko said. He said because the dogs had collars on their necks, it led them to believe they were pets allowing authorities to up the charges to felony counts.

Bednar was arrested Wednesday after police found two syringes in a shopping cart he was pushing.

Macejko said there is no link between Bednar and the other dog abuse cases within the last few weeks.

“We are investigating those as individual cases,” Macejko said.

For more on this story, see Friday’s Vindicator or vindy.com

Comments

1whitesabbath(738 comments)posted 2 years, 7 months ago

warm spot in hell for you, hope word travels fast in the jail-house.....

2Jtb88(2 comments)posted 2 years, 7 months ago

Loser

3Scope9137(7 comments)posted 2 years, 7 months ago

What Falcon, for real?!?!!?1? I hope this man gets bound and gagged himself

4jfgiancola(157 comments)posted 2 years, 7 months ago

This man ( and I use the term loosely), needs to have a noose put on his neck, tightened until he dies, and placed in a dumpster for public viewing where someone like me could urinate on his corpse.

5Not_Gilligans_Ginger(128 comments)posted 2 years, 7 months ago

FALCONEDDY! Yes! This IS the same man who was "grilling" his neighbor's pet! I knew his father, God rest his soul. William Bednar has a long history of mental illness. I actually thought of him yesterday and was telling one of the girls in my class about a man that grilled his neighbor's pets. Oh, and I miss Stan, too!

6steelhead(125 comments)posted 2 years, 7 months ago

I'm pretty sure posession of any part of a falcon or other raptors without a proper license carries a stiff penalty. Probably moreso than killing puppies. Prosecutor should check that angle and get this dude off the street for a little while.

7holken(8 comments)posted 2 years, 7 months ago

Falconeddy. I just realized when I read your post saying you miss stan....and now that I think about it, I havent seen stan for a long time. What happened to him???

8zz3(931 comments)posted 2 years, 7 months ago

Gee how can this happen in such a good area LOL 3 blocks from the police station. And what a wonderful area to stroll through around 11PM. Counselman I spoke with once said he is not afraid to walk alone down there. Come on city counsel how bout strolling through there some time. Again repeat criminals have found a safe haven in youngstown as always. This guy is probably on SSI too or welfare we would'nt want to stress them out with little s@*t.

9VINDYAK(1799 comments)posted 2 years, 7 months ago

For Stan's sake, I hope he is ok. His colorful commentary is missed in these pages.

Sometimes, there are circumstances that happen that force newspapers to ban individuals from making comments on their sites...but sometimes individuals become ill, or move on in their lives. I hope for Stan's sake that he has moved on. The pressures of being Stan can be overwhelming after a time. Yet, I did see a comment by a new poster that sounded a lot like Stan.

Will we ever learn the truth?

10BIGDOG69(27 comments)posted 2 years, 7 months ago

I say we tie his hands and feet and drop him in the river from a bridge. See if crap floats or not...

11VINDYAK(1799 comments)posted 2 years, 7 months ago

Bigdog -Good idea, but that would be polluting the river and all the river banks from Youngstown, down the Ohio, to the Mississippi and all the way into the Gulf of Mexico, where the shrimp would eat whatever remains were left and they would package the shrimp and send it back to Youngstown. No thanks, I would rather see him burned in the steel mills of the Valley, if we had any left here still burning.

12kensgirl(602 comments)posted 2 years, 7 months ago

String 'em up fellas!!!

13LoveWins(35 comments)posted 2 years, 7 months ago

@falconeddy:
Your amazingly racist comment is hilarious, considering he's WHITE.