The church provides guidance

Published: Tue, February 14, 2012 @ 12:00 a.m.

The church provides guidance

In A letter in last Friday’s VIn- dicator, a writer started out by saying that he is a Roman Catholic and was “appalled” over a letter that Bishop Murry wrote that was read in every Catholic church in the diocese.

In that letter, Bishop Murray voiced his concerns about “an alarming and serious matter that negatively impacts the church in the U.S. directly, and strikes at the fundamental right to religious liberty for all citizens of any faith.” The letter is referring to an Obama administration directive that would force Catholic employers to offer their employees health coverage that includes sterilization, abortion-inducing drugs and contraception.

I could write about the illegality of this mandate and how it violates my right to practice my religion, but I’m going to concentrate on the religious, ethical and moral aspects on the man’s letter.

He has a spiritual sickness, pride, because he knows better than Holy Mother Church. Christ establishes the church on earth, and as Catholics we must follow her teachings because she is under the guidance of the Holy Spirit and knows what’s best for us.

The man says “the ultimate truth is that we have been given tremendous gifts by God, two of which include the ability to reason and our free will. We must use these to think for ourselves, distinguish bad from good and help our fellow human beings.” If this were the case, the New Testament would be only 10 words long; Jesus saying, “Do what your conscience and reason tells you to do.”

So why did St. Paul butt his nose in the Christian communities telling them that sodomy and homosexual practices were wrong? Did the people in those communities not have the ability to reason or not have free will like we do today?

People who believe abortion should be included in this “health care” mandate and forced on us by the government think it’s a good thing because it protects women’s reproductive rights, and it gives every citizen access to contraception, sterilization and abortions. The church teaches us that pregnancy is not an illness, it is a gift from God. Who are we in our pride to say no to God’s gift and have this gift killed through abortion?

Whose rights are being protected, the woman or the fetus? One hundred percent of the time an abortion is successfully performed, the unborn baby is killed. Abortion is the sacrament of the women’s movement. How is that health care?

Carmen Amadio, Boardman

Comments

1jeratboy(127 comments)posted 2 years, 7 months ago

Too many Catholics do not know church teaching. For this I blame the bishops and priests. For years the Vatican has said that all church education programs MUST be based on the cathechism. When did you ever see that in your parish? In some parishes people are told that they don't need "that book." Until Catholics learn what the church teaches we will always have letters that some find appalling.

I would be amazed if anything is mentioned to the letter writers by their pastors. The writer of this letter, CA, should be congratulated.

2cambridge(3013 comments)posted 2 years, 7 months ago

After surviving twelve years of catholic school I think I have some insight on how the catholic church works.

It's nothing more than a money making machine and the only guidance they provide is where to send their current batch of pedophiles to rape their next batch of children.

The real reason the church doesn't want to pay for birth control is because they need that money to settle law suits.

3Mooneygrad72(42 comments)posted 2 years, 7 months ago

Cambridge -If you went to the catholic schools and learned nothing concerning insight and guidance within the Church structure-- you must have been sleeping. I received a valuable education within my 12 yeas of wearing uniforms, and I personally thank God and my hard-working, steel working, parents for their financial support and my Catholic education. My teachers, pastors and others involved with the Church teachings, allowed me to learn of church history, reasoning behind the laws/commandments and how to be a better person. NEVER did I witness or hear of priests or nuns who wanted to be a money machine. Yes they need the support of their members to hwlp pay bills, continue to aid the poor, and much much more. I feel sorry, that you did not value your education and now feel that the Church is worthless to you. But you do have choices-- please make the right one for you- and QUIT bashing what you evidently do not understand. Not all priests are pedophiles; in fact, many protestant sects are having the same issues, but they seem to have a media cover over their problems OR have already paid to silence the "victim"

4Catherine(8 comments)posted 2 years, 7 months ago

Great letter, Carmen. Thanks for speaking the truth in love.

5newsmaker1(127 comments)posted 2 years, 7 months ago

I learned so much about responsibility, study habits, prepareness and morality from the Nuns.. I believed every word they said, it has helped me immensely in making a lot of right decisions..

6LtMacGowan(643 comments)posted 2 years, 7 months ago

You know there are plenty of atheists, agnostics, and catholic women working at church run institutions such as hospitals who would welcome insurance providing for contraception.

Certain elements are stopping at nothing to appeal, block, remove funding and do whatever they can to prevent women from exercising their right to control over their own body.