UPDATE: 'I am excited to be a Zip,' Tressel says

Published: Thu, February 2, 2012 @ 10:36 a.m.

AKRON — “I am excited to be a Zip,” former Ohio State University football coach Jim Tressel told members of the news media today as the University of Akron today named him to a vice president’s position.

According to the Akron beacon Journal, Tressel will be in charge of “strategic engagement” for the university and will be paid a base salary of $200,000.

The newspaper reported Tressel played a key role in the search for a football coach that led to the hiring of Terry Bowden and since then has remained in touch with university officials, said UA President Luis Proenza.

It was after those discussions, Proenza said, that he began talking to Tressel about returning to UA.

Tressel, who earned his master’s degree in education at UA and was once part of the Zips football coaching staff, said it is nice to come home.

He said met with UA students before the press conference.

“It is great to come back to the place that gave me my first chance,” he said.

Tressel, according to media reports in Columbus, sold his Upper Arlington home recently. He recently was under consideration for a coaching position with the Indianapolis Colts.

Comments

1300(573 comments)posted 3 years ago

This isn't a football position. How does someone with a Master of Education, a joke degree to begin with, get named a university VP?

He gets paid 200K, walks into a made-up position, and he has no academic graduate degree.

If this is Akron trying to demonstrate that it's not a community college, a la YSU, and that it wants to be taken seriously, this is not the way to go.

2Mooneygrad72(42 comments)posted 3 years ago

Wait a minute 300 Since when is a Master's degree a joke?? and how did YSU become a community college??

My Masters ( I have 2) took much time, lots of hard work, extreme projects, but it made me a better teacher and community member. YSU is a great place !! A community college is a 2 year school deemed as a "tech school" not a university.

Makes one wonder about your educational level and expertise.

3Bman(151 comments)posted 3 years ago

Good luck Coach.

A Master's degree is a graduate degree...btw, what does that matter if he is in administration anyway? He's not teaching. Just Tres being in your program will generate money and attention and eventually better athletes who want to play for UA.

4300(573 comments)posted 3 years ago

Bman, his isn't an academic degree graduate degree. I'm not interested in explaining the university system and how it works, but this kind of hire is very rare, and at any worthwhile research university this would be considered a black eye.

Mooneygrad, it's a fine degree for school teachers, but not at the university level. I'm ot denigrating it, and I'm sure you are a better teacher now. Within a university, however, these "Ed" degrees aren't very valuable outside the community college level or by those working in the Diversity/Student Life/whatever other office they made up to hire the wives of professors. And, YSU is more of a community college than a research one. It serves a purpose in the valley, but it's not at Kent's level, much less OSU, Cincy, or Miami. Take a look at what's accredited at YSU. I think people would be surprised to find out that what's thought of as quality there, isn't valued anywhere else.

You don't really need to wonder too much about my own educational level, it's pretty much spelled out in my post.

5jasoninohio(119 comments)posted 3 years ago

Tressel will make the university that $200k back ten fold. He is a great teacher and a great leader. It was sad that he had to leave Ohio State in the way he did, but I am glad to see he is back at the collegiate level.

6Tigerlily(500 comments)posted 3 years ago

Tressel is happy to be whatever, as long as it pays.

7Owlguin(49 comments)posted 3 years ago

I just want him to write a book. I just can't wait to read it.

8LRG5150(17 comments)posted 3 years ago

Yes, taking a position for $200K is quite a reward after being forced out of a $3.2+M job.

I'll never understand the disdain for this man that many in this valley have, especially after what he did and continues to do for the university and community.

9walter_sobchak(2029 comments)posted 3 years ago

300
Well, I gotta believe that Jim Tressel's Masters in Education is worth about $200,000 per year for someone with his experience and expertise. UA knew excatly what they were doing with his hiring and they will profit mightily from it as I'm sure it will have something to do with fund-raising. I'm sure YSU would have loved to have him but it would not be possible as he would be breathing down Wolford's neck.

10fattynskinny(195 comments)posted 3 years ago

best of luck coach and god bless you and your family

11leftyompton4life(79 comments)posted 3 years ago

OMG tattoos were given away for free...the horror, the horror!!!!!!

Get a life people. No one cares you got Master's Degrees. Let Tressel be Tressel and hope to see him again on the sidelines one day. He's done more for Youngstown, OSU, and the state of Ohio then you can ever wish to do yourselves.

12DOLE2(594 comments)posted 3 years ago

I dont feel sorry for a millionaire who broke the rules! Stay in Akron TRess, I dont give a S**T

13mrblue(1111 comments)posted 3 years ago

This guy gets way too much press!! On the other hand, I would not be surprised if in a few years, he was their head coach.

14Bman(151 comments)posted 3 years ago

Tressel and Terry Bowden working for the same institution? This will be instant financial success for UA.

300,
My knowledge of higher education is just fine, but thanks for the offer of "explaining the university system and how it works." A Master degree in Education, even if it is a terminal Masters, is still a graduate degree. Most 1st tier research insitutions would probably pass on Tressel because they don't need him and cannot afford him anyway. UA is a perfect fit for him, right now.

15misterlee(118 comments)posted 3 years ago

300,
YSU is a research university. You obviously haven't looked at the STEM college. As an undergrad Biology student I have had the opportunity to work with grad students and professors on several research projects, including one I'm working on by myself now to present at QUEST, a yearly event to showcase student research work, it's on April 3rd this year, you should stop by. You have made it clear that you know nothing about academia despite your claims otherwise, stop denigrating our university, it's a lot better than you think.

© 2015 Vindy.com. All rights reserved. A service of The Vindicator.