Reports say "30 Rock" star Tracy Morgan refusing to help mom save her Youngstown home

Published: Wed, February 1, 2012 @ 10:09 p.m.

Combined dispatches

YOUNGSTOWN

Tracy Morgan’s mother’s Youngstown home is about to go into foreclosure, and her famous actor son is refusing to help her, several national media outlets are reporting.

Alicia Warden, who is just over 60, is quoted on CNN.com, huffingtonpost.com and nydailynews.com saying her son at one point agreed to pay off the $25,000 mortgage on her South Side home but has

reneged, offering — through an assistant — only a one-time gift of $2,000.

The Daily News said Forbes lists the “30 Rock” and former “Saturday Night Live” star’s worth at $18 million.

Morgan’s younger sister, Asia Morgan, has no kind words for her brother.

“He’s never been a nice person,” she told the Daily News. “And money’s just made it worse.”

Her mother’s house is modest, and she’s in failing health with diabetes and deteriorating legs, she said.

“This would be a drop in the bucket for Tracy. She has a son that can do, and she’s done everything that she possibly could for her family.”

“She ran numbers, but she did it to put food on the table,” Asia told the Daily News. “We were raised in the [Tompkins] projects [in Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn], but we didn’t think we were poor.”

Warden herself confirmed that to CNN, saying she struggled many years to provide for her son’s needs as a child, but now that she’s lost her job, he’s refusing to help her.

When her son’s assistant called her to communicate Tracy’s meager offer, she told CNN, “I was so upset, I told her to tell Tracy ‘Thank you, but no thanks. I am not some person on the street asking you for a handout; I am your mother.’ And that was the end of that.”

After her job loss a year ago, Warden’s income fell to $600 a month. Her monthly mortgage payment is $400, and if it is not made by Feb. 23, the home will go into foreclosure, her daughter told CNN.

Warden herself told the Daily News that her utilities also are about to be turned off and she’s facing the loss of her car as well.

She even faxed her son her account number and mortgage papers after his offer to help. “I thought he was paying it, but after a few months, I realized he didn’t pay it off,” she told CNN. She said a relative told her her son was angry about publicity given to the story, but Warden said she never divulged the information to the media.

Her daughter said her mother has five children with her and her brother’s late father, and none but her actor brother is in a position to help, even though all have jobs.

Warden told CNN she has trouble walking, and her unemployment benefits just expired.

“It took me 30 years or more to buy a home,” she said, noting she worked two to three jobs at times to support her kids. “No one took care of them but me,” she said.

Morgan, 43, grew up in Brooklyn. His mother moved the family to Youngstown in 1995, a decade after the actor left home, Asia Morgan said.

She said the family is unable to speak with her brother because he changes his number all the time.

Warden said she does not know why her son is

estranged from the family.

Huffington Post reports that he portrayed her unfavorably in his

2009 book, “I’m the New Black.”

“No one did anything to him,” she told CNN. “... I am not trying to hurt

Tracy. I love my children to death.”

Comments

1oldmillspice(160 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

I dont know the whole story but its his mother fer Gods sake ! ya only have one mom . No matter what unless she beat the hell out of him and even then .... The children shall turn on the parents and the parents shall turn on the children, money and greed shall grip the world there shall be earthquakes in the final days.....

2uncle(12 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

thats a darn shame...

3hmm(179 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Tracy is what I think any race of people would call a kneegger for being a self rightious egotistical prick for not helping his mom.. I didn't like him before and I truely hate him now.... Remember Tracy moron .... Karmas a bitch

4whitesabbath(738 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

What a jerk, thats your mother for crying out loud.

To bad you could'nt act on the old saying, " I brought you into this world I will take you out."

Because the fool had it rough growing up with a single parent he wants to blame the pain on circumstances, living in his past instead of living in today and making himself a better person.

To each is own.

Never watched the show , now I will never watch it.

5Lifes2Short(3875 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

For someone who has a tattoo on his back saying "ME, MYSELF, & I" what do you expect. Help your freakin Mom you idiot.

6RubyGirl(22 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Just saying... has anyone verified that there is actually a foreclosure???

7db(280 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Forget Tracy; welfare will provide for mom. Just like welfare provided for her kids.

8vinglass(226 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Not sure I understood this right...6 people in the house, all working, and they can't make a house payment?

9jasoninohio(119 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Every family is different. It isn't always like it is on the Cosby Show or Eight is Enough. If Morgan chooses to be estranged from his family, then that is his choice. While I don't agree with that choice, it isn't my family so I cannot make that choice.

10jasoninohio(119 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

And, a little FYI; The home is valued at $10, 580.00 on the Mahoning County Auditors website. The home was bought in July of 1998 for $31,400.

Makes you wonder if there is more to this story. I mean if the home was bought for such a low price, how in 17 years of owning the home does she still owe such a large chunk of the mortgage?

Sounds like there is another side to this story that Morgan's mom isn't telling anyone.

11jimmyd123(196 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

What a JERK.. It's your mother.

12Nonsocialist(710 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Many hands make light work. Her community is a part of her family and will help her. If a contact person is made available, I have no doubt that I and others would help (food, clothing, and financially if possible).

13walter_sobchak(1889 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

I honestly can't believe that Tracy Morgan can be worth $18M. Who in their right mind would pay this non-talent anything. He is not remotely funny or good at acting. Maybe he has some private info on the brass at NBC and is blackmailing them.

14jasoninohio(119 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Walter- I do agree his acting skills are suspect. But, I think he earns his money on 30 Rock. That show his hilarious and everyone on that show was perfectly cast.

15kennbest(1 comment)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

You are a shame, Tracy. A shame. What do you have in life, that was not given to you by a higher being? God chose you, of the whole lot. Now see how you're representing God. No matter what, you can outgrow your pain and help your siblings. Do not despise your mother, son. I don't care what she did against you, I hold strongly that for the simple reason she carried you in he belly for 9 months and labored to bring you into this life, please think like God and help her. That is what makes a man. Power, by definition, is knowing you have the ability to make somebody suffer for a wrong, BUT decide against making the person suffer. I have an aged mother and she once told me "Son, its so nice to be alive because of you." My response to her was "Mother, remember God used you to bring me to life." Leave anger alone, my friend, and take care of yor aged mother like I do mine.