Republican US Sen. Crapo from Idaho arrested on DUI charge

Published: Mon, December 24, 2012 @ 12:33 a.m.

Republican US Sen. Crapo from Idaho arrested on DUI charge

Associated Press

ALEXANDRIA, Va.

Idaho Sen. Michael Crapo was arrested early Sunday morning and charged with driving under the influence in a Washington, D.C., suburb, authorities said.

Police in Alexandria, Va., said Sunday that the three-term Republican was pulled over after his vehicle ran a red light. Police spokesman Jody Donaldson said Crapo failed field sobriety tests and was arrested at about 12:45 a.m. He was transported to the Alexandria jail and released on an unsecured $1,000 bond at about 5 a.m..

“There was no refusal (to take blood alcohol tests), no accident, no injuries,” Donaldson said. “Just a traffic stop that resulted in a DUI.”

Police said Crapo, who was alone in his vehicle, registered a blood alcohol content of .110. The legal limit in Virginia, which has strict drunken driving laws, is .08.

The 61-year-old Crapo (KRAY’-poh) has a Jan. 4 court date.

“I am deeply sorry for the actions that resulted in this circumstance,” Crapo said in a statement Sunday night. “I made a mistake for which I apologize to my family, my Idaho constituents and any others who have put their trust in me. I accept total responsibility and will deal with whatever penalty comes my way in this matter. I will also undertake measures to ensure that this circumstance is never repeated.”

A Crapo spokesman declined to comment on the circumstances surrounding his arrest.

Elected in 1998, Crapo is in his third U.S. Senate term; he served for six years in the U.S. House of Representatives before that. He was easily re-elected in 2010 with more than 70 percent of the vote, and won’t have to run again until 2016.

Comments

1Ypboy(50 comments)posted 1 year, 9 months ago

Typical Vindy headline...Republican U S Senator etc. If it was a low life Dem, the headline would have read: U S Dem Senator abused by police.

2NoBS(1939 comments)posted 1 year, 9 months ago

No mention of Crapo's claims that he doesn't drink? Typical hypocrite politician.

3HonestAbe(274 comments)posted 1 year, 9 months ago

Well, it HAS been a very bad couple of months for the Republican party.

4isaac45(270 comments)posted 1 year, 9 months ago

don't worry ypboy, fox news will put a d after his name, they always do that

5JoeFromHubbard(1044 comments)posted 1 year, 9 months ago

I sure miss the good old days when you could have a drink or two and drive home without concern of being targeted by the DUI troopers.

I don't condone falling down drunk drivers but the bar has been set so low because the scheme is so lucrative for defense lawyers and the local municipal coffers. And, it makes the MAD Mothers happy.