NRA calls for armed police officer in every school

Published: Fri, December 21, 2012 @ 1:09 p.m.

WASHINGTON (AP) — The nation's largest gun-rights lobby today called for armed police officers to be posted in every American school to stop the next killer "waiting in the wings."

The National Rifle Association broke its silence on last week's shooting rampage at a Connecticut elementary school that left 26 children and staff dead.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun," the group's top lobbyist, Wayne LaPierre, said at a Washington news conference.

LaPierre said "the next Adam Lanza," the man responsible for last week's mayhem, is planning an attack on another school.

"How many more copycats are waiting in the wings for their moment of fame from a national media machine that rewards them with wall-to-wall attention and a sense of identity that they crave, while provoking others to try to make their mark?" LaPierre said. "A dozen more killers, a hundred more? How can we possibly even guess how many, given our nation's refusal to create an active national database of the mentally ill?"

He blamed video games, movies and music videos for exposing children to a violent culture day in and day out.

Comments

1Attis(864 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

The NRA, a central part of the violent vulture culture which infests our society, is throwing gasoline on a fire with this idiotic call to turn schools into armed camps. How much more carnage is needed before this wild-west guns 'r us insanity ceases?

2excel(279 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

The nutjobs wont go for this idea.

3Sumpintasay(55 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

I agree with mrrightsometimes!!

Those who think banning guns is the answer are dazed and confused. Guns are already out there and always will be. Criminals don't obtain guns legally!!

The best defense is to defend ourselves.

4cambridge(2972 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

It's interesting that the nra/teabagger/republicans are for guns in schools but are against school lunches, less students per class, more teachers, teaching science, student loan programs and on and on. But they're for guns in schools because they care about the kids.

I watched the nra news conference, the one where they refused to answer any questions like the cowards they are, disturbing is the only description I can come up with.

Fortunately many nra members are hunters that are responsible gun owners and intelligent Americans that I believe will soon be giving up their membership.

5AnotherAverageCitizen(1174 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

Give the teachers guns? What kind of answer is that? Train the teachers to be law enforcement? But the repubs will still say teachers make too much money.

Who is going to pay for Law enforcement in every school?

The problem with Pro Gun folks is they are so scared they will lose their guns. Gun Control doe not mean taking guns from law abidding citizens. Gun control, is just that" control GUNS".

1. State test with CCW every two years.
2. State test with hunting guns every 2 years.
3. Back ground check for felonies, medications when state testing.
4. Body armor piercing bullets should be outlawed.
5. Limit clips to only certain number of rounds.

The second amendment gives right to bear arms, should not be interpeted "Right to bear assaut weapons" There are restriction to "RIGHTS" just like freedom of speech has certain restrictions.

6AnotherAverageCitizen(1174 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

I hear the NRA has another newsconference scheduled.

ALL CHUCHES should have police in uniform. Also all priests, ministers, and rabbi's should carry weapons.

7walter_sobchak(1856 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

AAC,
the Second Amendment reads:

It seems to me the "shall not be infringed" means there is no restriction on the rights of the people. The Bill of Rights grant no rights to the people. They are limits put on the central government so that the RIGHTS of the responsible and law-abiding people, those certain in alienable freedoms given to us on birth by God, are guaranteed. BIG DIFFERENCE. Isn't it interesting that the coward shot himself when he heard the sirens approaching. Meet force with force.

8AnotherAverageCitizen(1174 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

Walt, it is a sad day when we have to defend ourselves and so many support carring ASSAULT WEAPONS to go to the movies or grocery store. But I guess you are all for it.

9Ytownnative(1014 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

Noone seems to want to answer this question. If they ban semi automatic rifle today how many of the criminals and bad guys are going to run to turn them in?

10cambridge(2972 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

Put bar codes on shot gun shells and bullets for hunting rifles and connect their sale to a specific buyer, ban all other ammunition.

Mandatory thirty years for anyone using a gun in a crime or anyone convicted of smuggling illegal bullets into the country or trafficking in illegal bullets.

I'm thinking gun violence goes way down real quick.

11ytownredux(117 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

I am very torn on this issue. As a bleeding heart liberal, I really want tighter regulation on all automatic guns and most semi-automatic guns, and the elimination of high caliber, large capacity clips and ammo being outlawed. I do think every citizen is guaranteed the right to own a handgun or rifle for protection and sport. I also think that NO sale can be completed without a 5 day waiting period and background check.

On the other side, I am not opposed to having armed security in schools that request it. The caviat being, I would like them to recruit from veterans coming home from war, and not weekend warriors or union police looking for another pension.

My two biggest problems, are that 1) most people commenting on this board come from the NE "room 222" school houses where the room entrances are all inside with securable entrances to the outside. Being from Southern Calif. most of our schools have outside entrances and separate buildings and cooridors spread out over a large campus where 1 armed guard cannot possibly patrol the whole school, or lock it down.

2) I am really upset that gun manufacturers spend most of their money coming up with faster/deadlier ammunition and guns, instead of safety features. It frosts my butt that I can use my cell phone to record on my DVR or start my car miles from home, and I cant have an electronic lock on a gun.

(lastly on a personal note, I gotta give Blah a lot of credit on his birth and abortion comeback to Walter)

12mrblue(969 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

IThis NRA guy, LaPierre, in my opinion, is a moron. Put an armed guard in all schools to help stop the violence. How about the NRA paying for it. I am sure that they have the $$. I am not against gun ownership, just the idiots who use guns to commit crimes. We need a court system that will hand out severe penalties instead of a slap on the wrist Bring back the assault weapons ban, limit the number of bullets in a clip, strengthen the current gun laws and enforce them. Lengthy prison terms are needed for offenders. If guns are obtained illegally, then a mandatory life sentence is in order. It is way past time for talk---it is time for ACTION.

13Ytownnative(1014 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

Well if killing your mother then taking her guns from her house is legal then you are right viny

14Silence_Dogood(1320 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

Someone please correct me if I am wrong ,but doesn't Youngstown Schools already have ARMED Cops working in their buildings.I find it rather odd that the liberals were not crying about how bad that is. Up to this point there was not a word mentioned about that fact. Now out of no where it seems to be an idea put forth by the devil himself.Faux self-righteous indignation.Oh thats right every last member of the Youngstown Board of Education is a lefty liberal. If they allowed it, it must be OK.But don't let the people on the right suggest the same thing, because then it would be a crazy idea.
LEFTWING HYPOCRITES.

15AnotherAverageCitizen(1174 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

"I call on Congress today to act immediately, to appropriate whatever is necessary to put armed police officers in every school -- and to do it now, to make sure that blanket of safety is in place when our children return to school in January," said the NRA's top lobbyist Wayne LaPierre in a speech at the Willard Hotel in Washington, D.C.

But having armed security on-site failed to prevent the deadliest mass shooting at an American high school.

16AnotherAverageCitizen(1174 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

""the Second Amendment reads:
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.""

We "infringe' on peoles right to bear arms everyday. We don't let a former criminal own a gun, does that not infringe on his rights. We don't let kids own guns, does that not infringe on their rights?.

If you use the arguement "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" then use it all the time. Then we should let every criminal have a gun. We should let every unstable person have a ASSAULT WEAPON.

Come on WALT, don't let their RIGHTS be violated.

17kurtw(846 comments)posted 1 year, 6 months ago

Last time I went to the Main Library on Wick Ave. I saw an armed Security Guard. What was he there for- to protect the cash-money taken in for over-due fines? I don't know, but he was there- and it didn't bother me at all.

If we had armed guards in school- (or for that matter armed principals, teachers, custodians and nurses)- that would, also, not. bother me You see, I have no problem with decent, law-abiding people in possession of fire-arms or other deadly weapons. If I go into a restaurant and see a chef, handling a 12'' butcher knife- does that bother me. Of course not. But that knife could kill me just as quickly as a pistol.

A weapon in the right hands- police or civilian- is a deterrent and may have prevented, at least in part, the atrocities at Newtown.

18kurtw(846 comments)posted 1 year, 6 months ago

Having said above, I do, however, strongly believe that military style weapons- like the Bushmaster: primary weapon of the Newtown Killer- should be restricted to the military- they do not belong in civilian hands because there is no legitimate reason for owning them- hunting, target practice, personal defense: they're assault weapons favored primarily by the lunatic fringe of gun-owners and should be taken off the private market. It was a huge mistake in 2004 to lift the assault weapon ban.

Finally, for the record, I do not belong to the N.R.A.- I have one gun a 20 gauge Ithaca Pump Shotgun which I keep in the corner of my bedroom for home defense. I sometimes go trap shooting and I don't hunt but I have been known to discharge the weapon on the 4th of July and New Years (which the police warned me about).

I do, however believe in the Second Amendment