Place the blame for abuse where it belongs, on the abuser, not victim

Published: Wed, December 12, 2012 @ 12:00 a.m.

Place the blame for abuse where it belongs, on the abuser, not victim

Why is it that in our soci- ety, when abuse occurs, the first thought that comes to mind is “What did the victim do to deserve it?” In the case of rape, we ask what was the woman wearing. In the case of child abuse, what did the child do to push the adult to that extreme action. The playground or workplace bully hands out his abuse because his victims are weak or “different.” Right? How ridiculous is this mentality? Isn’t the abuser the problem?

Such is the case with animal abuse and neglect. Every citizen needs to understand that animal abuse is not an animal problem, It is a people problem. A person is behind both human and animal abuse and neglect.

The true cause behind an act of violence or neglect won’t just go away In fact, unaddressed, such a desire to act violently will intensify. It is documented that over 70 percent of the time, an animal abuser will go on to commit acts of human violence and/or commit crimes against property.

The media reported that in Columbiana County, in 2012 alone, a young defenseless calf was set on fire and a chained beagle beaten to death by a human. Near Salineville a dog was hanged from a tree and two more dogs shot in the face and dumped. What does this say about your community? Is your pet or property next?

The media did not report hundreds of other cases of abuse, neglect and abandonment addressed by The Humane Society of Columbiana County (HSCC) in 2012 including starved and emaciated horses and the dog abused during a domestic violence dispute or the cat rescued by a boy in spite of an adult’s order not to. But HSCC knows about them, thanks to concerned citizens who to made the decision to make the call.

The HSCC responds to over 70 calls about irregular or concerning human behavior per month. As your local law enforcement responds to calls from citizens about crime against people, this nonprofit organization sponsors trained and court sworn humane agents to respond to concerns about actions toward animals. Calls of concern about pets in East Liverpool top the list, followed by Salem, Lisbon, Columbiana and every single community in the county..

Does this service provided by HSCC have value to you? If you say yes, then you need to share this information. Our greatness as a community will increase as our tolerance of violence decreases.

To find out more about “The Link” between animal abuse and human abuse or to arrange a speaker for your group or organization or to report abuse, contact the HSCC at 330-332-2600.

Jenny Pike, Salem

The writer is president of the HSCC of Columbiana County .

Comments

1ulistenup(95 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

What's wrong with this letter? You have to read between the lines to find out.

'Why is it that in our society, when abuse occurs, the first thought that comes to mind is “What did the victim do to deserve it?"'

I appreciate the compassion this writer feels for animals, but letters like this serve to (unwittingly) blur the distinction between humans, who have an immortal soul, and animals, who don't.

Also, I never heard anyone blame animals for animal abuse, or anyone blame children for child abuse. And people's first thought at rape is not "what did the victim do to deserve it?"

"It is documented that over 70 percent of the time, an animal abuser will go on to commit acts of human violence and/or commit crimes against property."

I suppose the point of this statement is to elevate our sensitivity to animal abuse - and to argue for the imposition of harsher penalties for cruelty to animals - (to deter violence towards people). The fact is, animal cruelty is a second degree misdemeanor, punishable for up to 90 days in jail and a $750 fine. Compared to other crimes, this is a stiff punishment - and it needn't be elevated.

I have no proof of this, but I would imagine that many, if not most animal-rights activists are pro-abortion. Why is this? It follows that elevating animals to equality with humans - results in diminishing the value of human life. It is a sad commentary that in today's society, abused animals have a higher status in the law than unborn children. (Even to the extent of denying medical treatment to babies born alive from failed abortions.)

PETA uses animal-rights organizations (just like this one) to advance its agenda of sabotaging animal experiments - conducted to help human beings. Animals are just that - animals, and they are here for our use, not abuse. But it is misplaced compassion to elevate animals to such an extent that we forget our fellow man.

Although this writer, like many, has a soft heart for animals, people like her must guard against the hijacking of their cause by PETA and its "dehumanization" of human beings - in their attempts to forward a pro-animal agenda.

2jsrpike(3 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

I am the writer and you could not be more wrong. I suggest you do your homework before making broad assumptions. My point is to pay attention to animal violence as it is caused by a human who will very likely go onto to perform other acts of violence. It is not a veiled attempt to promote another agenda. I would be more than glad to discuss this with you as you are exactly the audience I am attempting to educate.

3ulistenup(95 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

I appreciate your point of view that we need to pay attention to animal abuse.

We need to pay attention to people abuse even more.

Maybe your group is not being manipulated by PETA, but it is true that PETA solicits innocent "animal lovers" to build up their anti-human agenda.

And it is so tiresome that the politically correct media pay an inordinate amount of attention to animal abuse cases, even to the extend of featuring their coverage over murders.

If you agree that there is a great dehumanization taking place on our society - if you look far enough, you'll find that the primacy of things (and animals) over human beings is part of the problem.

As the president of your organization, it would mean more to me that you use animals for the good of people, rather than just protect all animals.

I would love to see organizations such as yours devote a fraction of the time and attention you spend helping animals to promote the right to life of people.

4GoPens(397 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

No, ulistenup, what's tiresome is constantly reading your rants about how animals have no souls and that those concerned about animals are trying to elevate them above humans. Again I ask, what nut job church do you attend? I want to stay as far away from you and your scary kind as possible.

5Lifes2Short(3867 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

Great letter.

uDONTlisten

All your babbling and what exactly are you trying to get at?? What does animal abuse have to do with someones position on abortion? Quit trying to look in between the lines and read what the letter is actually saying. smh at such stupidity in society today.

6ulistenup(95 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

Life,

"What does animal abuse have to do with someone's position on abortion?"

Good question. I believe that it is a case of misplaced compassion. People sometimes substitute love of people with love for animals.

They morally carry over the compassion to euthanize animals without immortal souls incorrectly into the human realm.

We are a "culture of death." Death by abortion and euthanasia. It strips mankind of his God-given dignity and right to be treated as a creature made in the image and likeness of God.

7FormerYtowner(96 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

ulistenup,

PETA dehumanizes human beings in order to forward a pro animal agenda??? Where do you come up with crap like this? I have said this to you before, seek immediate professional help. YOU are the reason I loved my dog more than most people. My dog had a soul unlike your sorry rear end. My dog loved without judgement, and was loyal to a fault. I treated my dog as my child and guess what...none of the humans in my life ever felt "de-humanized" because of it. I have news for you, animals experience the same emotions as humans do..fear, love, happiness, compassion, loyalty,pain, boredom.

Again ulistenup...take a good long look in the mirror, the only animal without an immortal soul will be staring right back at you. Seek immediate professional help.

8ulistenup(95 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

Former,

You sound like one of the individuals who put dogs over people.

"I treated my dog as my child."

Please!!!!!!! A dog is just a dog!

News alert... Your own perverted sense of values is what makes you so bitter towards people who recognize the corrupting influence PETA has on unsuspecting animal lovers.

Speaking of seeking immediate help... maybe your shrink can explain to you the psychological dangers of treating a dog like a person.

9Lifes2Short(3867 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

u

"In a similar way, I believe many animal rights activists are in favor of legislation supporting the so-called "right to die.""

You have no clue what animal rights activists favor. That's your opinion, so your grouping all animal rights individuals as one because you say so. I think not.

""We are a "culture of death." Death by abortion and euthanasia. ""

Who makes those choices?

10ulistenup(95 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

Life,

11GoPens(397 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

Correction, instead if what not job church you go to, what nut bag cult do you belong to?

12ulistenup(95 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

GoPens,

Psychological projection is a
psychological defense mechanism whereby one “projects” one’s own undesirable
thoughts, motivations, desires, feelings, and so on onto someone else (usually
another person.

You must have a pretty miserable view of yourself and life. I feel sorry for you.

13charms(228 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

GoPens,

How dare you question a person's religious affiliation. You are one sorry individual.

14FormerYtowner(96 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

uSCREWup,

let me clarify my child comment from before (not that I have to explain myself to you), at this point in my life, I have chosen not to have children, but I did choose the responsibility of having a dog. Now I don't know why you hate animals so much but answer me this...if you have or had or are going to have children, and they are sick will you take them to a doctor? If they are cold, would you give them a blanket? If they are hungry, would you feed them?

By me choosing not to have children, my dog was my child, so I provided for my dog like I should. If he was sick, I took him to the vet. If he was hungry, I fed him. If he was thirsty, I gave him water. I didn't just sit back and say, he's just a dog...screw him....he has no immortal soul.

You truly are a pathetic individual. With that, I am done with this discussion. I am going to agree to disagree. So in closing, Merry Christmas, Happy Kwanza, Happy Chanukah, or what ever it is you celebrate.

Have a good day.

15ulistenup(95 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

Former,

YOU truly are a pathetic individual, but we can agree to disagree.

You have a Merry Christmas and a good day too!

16GoPens(397 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

You nut jobs crack me up! You have the gall to call others pathetic? Look in the mirror. Please don't feel sorry for me. You are the last person I'd want sympathy from. My life is quite excellent, thank you very much.

Charms,
Yes, I dare ask what his sick religious beliefs are. He spews his garbage and I and normal thinking people want and need to know where his sicko ideas come from. For all we know, he's the type of guy that animal shelters prevent from adopting black cats at Halloween because of previous animal sacrifices that have been made. They don't have souls and were put here for man to use as they please after all.

17GoPens(397 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

By the way ulistenup ( should be udespicableclown) If you're going to trash me, please come up with something original, not something you cut and pasted from another of your pathetic posts on another story's comment section.

18streetsmartt(127 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

GoPens,

"They don't have souls and were put here for man to use as they please after all."

Such vitriolic spouting from your trash-talking mouth.

You take a cogent argument made about the problem of "gross animal love," as it relates to the general problem of dehumanization in society - and you viciously turn it on its head.

You remind me of an unruly middle school student. Dogs are just animals. They are here, like all animals, to serve mankind. When animal rights blinds one to the rights of people, the value placed upon human life deteriorates.

Please save your shallow comments for your family and friends - rather than pollute this blog with them.

19Lifes2Short(3867 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

u

""...seems like I struck a nerve. I bet you favor abortion and the "right to die," don't you?""

Uh, stuck a nerve? Surely you jest. You have your opinion and I have mine. No more, no less.

BTW, I'm against abortion and the "right to die."

P.S. You didn't answer my question.

20kensgirl(538 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

Bless the beasts and the children. For in this world they have no voice, they have no choice. Enough said.

21GoPens(397 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

Streetsmart,
Don't like the quote? It's ulistenup's. Nowhere have I said that animals should be placed above people. Where do you whack jobs come up with this stuff? I do believe that people who torture and abuse defenseless animals should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law and in many cases, the law is not harsh enough.

It appears that this idea is too deep for you and ulistenup. That's why we have to keep it shallow and dumbed down for despicable people of your ilk.

22GoPens(397 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

It's sad but too often on this board, people allow religious dogma to override common sense.

23ulistenup(95 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

GoPens,

Common sense COMES FROM religious dogma!

24GoPens(397 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

In your small minded world.