Misfits and deviants who voted for Obama will rue the day

Published: Sun, December 9, 2012 @ 12:00 a.m.

Misfits and deviants who voted for Obama will rue the day

There has been a lot of talk about how Republicans need to change their ideology in order to reach out to Democrat voters. First, it should be understood that Romney lost the popular vote because staunch conservatives stayed home in protest on Election Day, not because Republicans took the wrong stance on women and Hispanics issues.

Today’s Democratic Party, the one that re-elected Obama, is comprised primarily of the following misfits and deviants: 1) bloodthirsty, predatory women who want the right to slaughter their preborn children at will; 2) Single women who want unbridled sex and government provided birth control; 3) homosexuals who want preferential treatment and acceptance of their immoral lifestyle; 4) dependent minorities who want their welfare checks, food stamps, Obama phones, etc.; 5) simple-minded union pawns who haven’t a clue and even less drive and ambition; and 6) atheists and secularists who want God removed from all aspects of government and society.

I’ve got breaking news for everyone: We don’t want these people. They are not people who can endure and survive the economic and societal collapse that is coming, one they just ensured through their votes for Obama. They are incapable of sustaining themselves after the collapse, and they will only be a burden on us as we set out to rebuild the nation.

In the aftermath, abortion will not save them. Birth control will not save them. Welfare will not save them. Sex will not save them. And a refusal or inability to think and act certainly will not save them. God could save them, but I doubt He will. I know that we won’t save them, and right now we don’t want them or need them.

Joseph K. Waltenbaugh, New Castle, Pa.

Maybe we need another pill

A few days before Thanks- giving I experienced an incident at a very busy and crowded local super market.

A woman with her shopping cart filled to the top with groceries pushed my shopping cart into me causing me to drop the box of pancake flour. I picked it up and put it in my cart thinking the woman would say she was sorry. Instead she glared at me as if I was the grinch that stole Christmas, and walked away saying “not to worry, no big deal.”

Driving home I wondered why some people were so rude. It made me think of all the pills and medicines people can purchase to lessen what ails them. Wouldn’t it be wonderful if there were a pill that could give a person the loving, kind and giving spirit most people have with me?

To my 82-year-old brain, such a pill would not worry me, but I certainly would consider it a “big deal.”

Being aware that reality and wishful thinking do not always happen, I therefore wish a very merry, blessed Christmas and happy new year to one and all.

Mary Lou Jurina, Youngstown

Sometimes a sign is just a sign

What is the source of Ber- tram de Souza’s fascination with a hand-crafted sign made by a local volunteer that read, “IvoteGod.com,” or his stinging criticism of local Catholic leaders? The home-made sign was one of dozens of signs at the Mahoning County Republican Party headquarters in the weeks leading up to the November election. To read his two columns devoted to the topic, you might conclude that IvoteGod.com was the strategy behind Romney’s failed effort for the White House. De Souza wrote on Dec. 2, “. . . IVoteGod.com was a pillar of the GOP’s national campaign.” Actually, the sign was the work of a local volunteer and reflected the message of a website developed here in Youngstown. The website was first created some five years ago by a group of local Democrats.

When I first saw the sign, I thought about it for a moment and said, “why not?” After all, God is certainly welcome at our GOP office. The Democratic Party’s national platform, on the other hand, had all references to God removed.

The Romney effort was never a religious campaign, although it’s no secret the GOP attracts a majority of Christian conservatives. Rather the campaign was about returning America to basic principles of limited government, sound fiscal policy, and more reliance on market forces and individual responsibility as a way to solve our problems. It was a campaign first and foremost about jobs, our national debt and trillion dollar deficits. Some believe it was a campaign about saving America from a ruinous future.

Have a great Christmas season, excuse me ... holiday season.

Mark E. Munroe, Youngstown

The writer is chairman of the Mahoning County Republican Party.

Bishops follow a dangerous path

The American Catholic Church has become dangerously politicized as the recent presidential election has proved with crystal clarity. The Catholic bishops, those “gray-haired mostly white men,” as Bertram de Souza referred to them in his Nov. 18 column, were brazenly outspoken in their thinly veiled endorsement of Mr. Romney for president in both their public statements and episcopal letters read at Masses in parishes throughout the nation in the weeks leading up to the election.

Some prelates resorted to scare tactics in an effort to swing the vote to their candidate. Bishop Thomas Paprocki, of Springfield, Ill., for example, threatened that one who voted for the “wrong” candidate could be risking eternal salvation, while Bishop David Ricken of Green Bay advised his flock that a vote for the Democratic candidate could “put your soul in jeopardy.” Taking the prize for outrageous poor taste, however, was Bishop Daniel Jenky of Peoria, who claimed that President Obama was following a path similar to those taken by Hitler and Stalin.

And what did the men in purple accomplish for their misguided, ill-conceived efforts? From where I stand, nothing, except perhaps more divisiveness, alienation, bad press and a lot of facial egg. After all, Obamacare has been validated by the Supreme Court and President Obama is securely ensconced in the White House for four more years thanks to a landslide electoral vote and a healthy popular vote bolstered by a majority of Catholics, including 71 per cent of the Latinos.

The mitered men need to realize that, first, politics is not their forte. Second, their flocks are no longer of the pray, pay, and obey variety, but instead mature adults capable of making intelligent electoral decisions free of episcopal kibitzing.

Henry E. Miller, Youngstown

Nursing homes face challenges

Your Dec. 2-4 nursing homes series accurately portrayed the funding difficulties that many skilled nursing facilities face. Funding cuts create a challenge to delivering the quality care that residents deserve, yet Mahoning Valley LeadingAge Ohio member organizations all placed above the statewide average in state-administered resident satisfaction surveys, a testament to the quality, holistic care practiced by not-for-profit senior service providers.

In January, the Ohio General Assembly and Ohio Gov. John Kasich will begin working on the 2013-2014 biennial budget. A major component will be Medicaid funding, which is responsible for an average 43 percent of a long-term care facility’s funding. LeadingAge Ohio will again work with the state’s elected leaders to ensure our most vulnerable citizens have a voice in the process. I encourage all those with relatives in Ohio’s long-term care facilities, and those concerned about Ohio’s most vulnerable, to also register their concerns with their elected state officials.

John Alfano, Columbus

The writer is president & CEO of LeadingAge Ohio, a statewide advocate on behalf of more than 300 not-for-profit care providers and their residents.

Comments

1GoPens(397 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

Hey Joseph of New Castle. God called. He would really like you (and other crazed letter writers) to quit using His name in your hate-filled letters to the editor. Enough already! Good grief, get a life and relax.

2chuck_carney(499 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

Hey Joseph of New Castle, Keep voicing your opinion protected by the First Amendment as passionately as you have. May God bless you and your family during this joyful season and all year long.

3Freeatlast(1989 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

Joseph K. Waltenbaugh, New Castle, Pa. YOUR SICK !!! GET HELP

4SHOCK(7 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

I see that Joe has distraught our left wing friends.

5SeriouslyNow(192 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

Joseph,

Your first sentence establishes your grasp of reality. Republicans don't need to reach out to Democratic voters, they just need to reach out to ALL voters.

The Rove playbook has always been to create wedge issues, The problem is that by being strident and extreme on issues the party fails to appeal to the broad spectrum of voters, regardless of party label.

The rest of your letter strongly suggests that the American way of life is doomed.
My suggestion to you is: GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN.

6dreamer716(2 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

What an angry, hate-filled person. Is there anyone in society he doesn't despise? Maybe just those who look like him, think like him, talk like him...what a wonderful world THAT would be. I hope the rest of us (the majority who DID get out and vote) will not be too much of a burden as" they " "set out to rebuild the nation".
Reading his bitter diatribe leaves me feeling ill.
But not as sick as he is.
(still not sure why staying home on election day shows protest. wouldn't your VOTE show how you felt?)

7cambridge(2918 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

Joe....Great letter, the mid terms are just around the corner and it's letters like yours that help people decide who they should vote for.

Since you are obviously part of the irrelevant and defective teabagger/republicans and FORWARD thinking people would never want to vote the same way you do you have helped America in your own special way.

Thanks again and Happy Holidays! ;-)

8GoPens(397 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

Chuck,
You only called it a "joyful season". What a horrible attack in the War on Christmas. What would Bill O'Reilly say of your Christmas slight? A true American would have wished this misguided, bigoted letter writer a Merry Christmas.

9Freeatlast(1989 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

MARRY CHRISTMAS to Joseph K.
Please get help

10HonestAbe(244 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

To Mark Munroe: If you want to know what's wrong with the Republican Party, and why your party got so badly bruised during this election, please read the letter from Joseph K. Waltenbaugh above. It's the hate-filled, small-minded, vitriolic spew from nut jobs such as these that turn away the decent, hard-working middle class. If your party doesn't welcome pro-choice women, gays, and minorities, then I think you better get used to losing elections. By the way, Mr. Waltenbaugh's should read Bertram's recent editorial "Cry of the Angry White Man." He just might recognize himself!!!

11cue(9 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

Hang in there Joe and don't give in! These liberals will try to drag you down to their level and then denounce you for their faults.

12jmagaratz(154 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

Maybe Joe from New Castle is not getting enough love......

13IslandMike(676 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

Sore LOSER.

Mitt lost, get over it.

14SHOCK(7 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

So, if Joe was liberal and gay he would be an OK fellow?

15fd6636(254 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

For the LAST time joe, get over it!!! The majority of Americans have spoken! The Majority of Americans dont want a Radical form of goverment who only caters to the ultra wealthy and powerful, it was just proven that money and power cant buy votes!!! GET THE HELL OVER IT PLEASE!!! If you and others like Joe dont like our election process, Please, go to another country and try theirs!!! Maybe, just maybe Joe, we dont want your kind around!!!

16ytownredux(117 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

Thanx Joe, you gave me the theme for our next family reunion, "misfits and deviants." It seems we are just full of them. I wonder how my parents were so succesful with their sacriligous ways. I don't remember them hating people like you do, they must have slipped through God's cracks. They have shown love and support to their gay relatives. They have not gone to church in a very long time. Both of their fathers were in unions back in the day that helped pave the way for the 5 day work week and an honest living, they must have shamed them greatly for not joining themselves. They even helped care for the 18yo cousin who could'nt mentally be ready to carry her baby after her boyfriend forced her to have sex with him.

We appreciate your Godly compassion Joe, I am sure God appreciates you speaking up for him like that!

17Rockyroad(149 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

Joseph K. Waltenbaugh!!!! This is GOD. Please stop speaking for Me. I actually like President Obama. In fact, I like all of the people who voted for him. I have already decided that everyone who voted for My man, Barack, will have an eternity to party with Me in heaven. As for the rest of you...well, you'll be surprised.

Happy Holidays!

GOD Oh My! I forgot that Jesus wants to hear Us say, "Merry Christmas!". LOL

18ulistenup(95 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

"Misfits and deviants who voted for Obama will rue the day."

This letter, although it attempts to make several arguable points, gets lost in a negative whirlwind.

We need everybody, including the imperfect, as we are all imperfect.

I can't stand Obama, but we opponents must be civil in our criticism.

I don't believe that only Democrats elected Obama. My biggest disappointment is that many Catholics voted for a man who is so against Catholicism that for the first time in history - many Catholic diocese are suing his administration for violation of their religious rights.

This is truly unprecedented. Catholics and other Christians put this man in office - to their and to the Church's detriment.

19JBullfrog(21 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

ulistenup, I appreciate your statement that opponents must be civil in their criticism, but I suggest you take your own advice to heart. I just read a comment you posted in the story about the latest polling numbers for Gov. Kasich in which you said teachers "are the biggest bunch of overpaid cry babies on the planet," and "Although there are some good teachers, so many are nonproductive government parasites." Would you not consider those statements to be both negative and uncivil? We certainly are all imperfect, aren't we!

20ulistenup(95 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

JBullfrog,

I stand by my comments. Although they appear harsh, they are certainly warranted by what I witnessed in both my daughter's and son's school experiences.

My daughter took 4 years of a foreign language, yet she had to "repeat" her language training in college,, i.e., she could not test out of the requirement. And before you criticize her, know that she was both a 4 point student in both high school and college.

This all because her foreign language teacher in high school was lazy.

My son, on the other hand, was special needs, and I witnessed both good AND INCOMPETENT, LAZY teachers in charge of his education.

I know what I am talking about. Unions have killed education in this country and practically have killed the teaching profession to boot.

21Rockyroad(149 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

ULISTENUP...Wow, where to begin...so unions are at fault for your daughter having to "repeat" her language training in college...now, does that go as far back as John L. Lewis? So unions, in effect are responsible for "lazy" workers? So all the workers, say in a place like McDonald's or WalMart, wouldn't be lazy, since they don't belong to unions? Oh my. ULISTENUP, I think I see the problem with everything in your life and you can see it too if there is a mirror close by.

22JBullfrog(21 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

ulistenup,
I was also a 4 point student (actually I had an above 4 pt GPA in high school because of AP classes). I took the AP test in English and scored a 4, but my college would only accept a 5, same with calculus. I ended up taking calc in college and was amazed at how much more I understood. Just because a person gets good grades and is a hard worker does not mean they should automatically do well at everything the first time around. College is a completely different animal than high school, failing to test out of a requirement is hardly grounds to call a teacher lazy, and sometimes students just need extra review, not matter how smart they are. You still failed to address my question about whether you felt you were civil in your criticism. All I'm hearing is negative rhetoric and opinion.

23GnomeMad(22 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

Hey Vindy...

I can't believe you published that letter from Joseph. He's entitled to his opinions, but for you to publish what can only be described as a hateful, bigoted rant portraying women, minorities, non-Christians and the LGBT community as evil "misfits and deviants" is just beyond me.

Misfits and deviants?!

And you use that in the headline?

I guess you'll do whatever you have to to sell papers and clicks.

24bumbob(122 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

Letter from Joseph Waltenbaugh summary:

YOU'LL RUE THE DAY TREBEK.

25One_Who_Stayed(236 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

Sounds like Joseph Waltenbaugh needs a hug (just not from another dude. . . ).

@Bumbob - hilarious!

26soylentgreen(11 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

Joe from new castle,
im sure you didnt expect, the majority of the citizens of the usa to join you in you malicious attack, thats right we won the majority, also god called and wants you home, i suggest the running car in the garage.

27IslandMike(676 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

What has killed a once respected brand (Republican Party) is The FIXED NOISE NETWORK and their constant venomous bantering of The Office of the President. They LOST and blame Obama, the media etc.....

Maybe if they looked INTERNALLY, they could then address why they lost. What they've done is like losing a football game and then blaming your opponent for beating you.