Train victim in Columbiana Co. identified

Associated Press


The man hit by a Youngstown and Southern train Tuesday has been identified as 33-year-old Todd Beabout.

A report released by the county sheriff’s office Wednesday revealed his identity. Although no physical address was listed under his identification, his mailing address was listed as a post-office box in Negley.

First responders and two county sheriff’s officials did not know who Beabout was until Wednesday morning, according to the report.

His identity was provided to deputy sheriff Wes Smith by a representative from St. Elizabeth Health Center shortly after 10 a.m. Wednesday, and it was listed in Smith’s finalized report of the incident made available later in the day.

Beabout was taken by medical helicopter to the Youngstown hospital Tuesday, and an update on his condition was not listed in the report.

The report also did not indicate why Beabout was lying on the tracks not far from 7459 Bye Road when the empty freight train approached.

Negley Fire Chief Gary Banicki said Tuesday it appeared he had been sleeping or passed out on the railroad, although he could not confirm that was the case.

The train’s engineer, Salem resident Steve Close, told Smith he and the conductor, Nate Zieher of Youngstown, were going to North Lima from the Tube Ascope facility in Darlington, Pa., where they had hooked onto the empty cars. Close said he and Zieher were looking back at the empty cars to make sure everything was still attached properly and there were no other problems when Close turned around and saw what he thought was a person’s coat bunched up on the tracks about 25 feet away.

Zieher then looked and realized it was actually a man on the tracks, at which point Close applied the emergency brakes, but the train was unable to stop in time and drove over Beabout, according to the report.

Their attempts to call 911 were not successful, however, as they did not have adequate cellphone service in the rural area.

Close ran to the nearest home, which was 7459 Bye Road, and knocked on the door, but there was no answer. About 10 minutes later, Paul Conkle returned home and called 911, the report stated.

Sheriff’s Lt. Allen Young also responded to the scene as did Y&S supervisor Bob Gane, according to the report.

Don't Miss a Story

Sign up for our newsletter to receive daily news directly in your inbox.