Mount Union crushes Widener in quarterfinals

Staff report


The University of Mount Union football team generated 753 yards of offense in Saturday’s 72-17 rout of Widener in a NCAA Division III quarterfinal at Mount Union Stadium.

The Purple Raiders (13-0) advance to the national semifinals of the NCAA tournament for the 18th consecutive season after extending their home win streak to 67 games.

Next, top-ranked Mount Union plays No. 2-ranked Mary Hardin-Baylor, a 32-20 winner over No. 6 Wesley, in a national semifinal game on Saturday at a site and time to be determined by the NCAA.

Sophomore quarterback Kevin Burke accounted for 495 of those 753 yards as he ran for a career-best 115 yards and three touchdowns, and threw for 380 yards and two more scores.

Senior wide receiver Jasper Collins caught both touchdown passes and finished with 102 yards on six catches.

The Raiders’ top ranked defense held ninth-ranked Widener to a season-low 17 points and total yards (293). Mount Union held Widener to minus-29 yards rushing, setting a team playoff record for fewest rushing yards allowed.

Senior Isaiah Scott had six tackles and an interception while All-American safety Nick Driskill blocked two punts in the second quarter, including one he returned for a score to spark the Raiders.

Widener (11-1) quarterback Chris Haupt threw for 322 yards on 29-of-64 passing and Philip Ragona and Anthony Davis had 102 and 106 yards passing respectively.

After going three-and-out on the opening possession of the game, Widener recovered a Mount Union fumble on the Raiders’ second play from scrimmage and drove 67 yards to take a 3-0 lead on a James McFadden field goal.

Mount Union answered with a five-play, 64-yard drive, taking the lead on a 10-yard Burke pass to Collins.

Then at the Mount Union 5, Scott intercepted Haupt and the Raiders marched 95 yards to go ahead for keeps when Blair Skilliter scored on a 5-yard run.

Don't Miss a Story

Sign up for our newsletter to receive daily news directly in your inbox.