facebooktwitterRSS
- Advertisement -
  • Most Commentedmost commented up
  • Most Emailedmost emailed up
  • Popularmost popular up
- Advertisement -
 

« News Home

NEWSMAKERS



Published: Sat, December 1, 2012 @ 12:00 a.m.

NEWSMAKERS

Underwood will star in ‘Sound of Music’

NASHVILLE, Tenn.

Carrie Underwood will star in NBC’s live broadcast of “The Sound of Music” late next year.

A news release says the former “American Idol” champion and Grammy-winning country star will play Maria von Trapp in a live performance based on the musical. It will air around the holidays in 2013.

The role is Underwood’s most-significant work as an actress yet. She played a small part in the 2011 film “Soul Surfer” and has served as co-host of the Country Music Association Awards for five years.

New York’s famous Stage Deli closes

NEW YORK

The famous Stage Deli in Manhattan has closed.

The deli, on Seventh Avenue near 54th Street, got its start 75 years ago. It was known for overstuffed sandwiches named for celebrities.

Co-owner Paul Zolenge says the dining landmark had been struggling for some time. He tells The New York Times that yet another rent increase was expected when the lease ended in a few months.

Casey Anthony film to debut in January

MIAMI

“Prosecuting Casey Anthony” starring Rob Lowe is set to debut early next year on the Lifetime cable network.

Based on prosecutor Jeff Ashton’s book, “Imperfect Justice,” the movie is scheduled to air Jan. 19 at 8 p.m.

Lowe plays Ashton, and the story is told through his point of view, with Anthony herself as a relatively minor character.

Anthony was arrested in 2008 and charged in the death of her 2-year-old daughter, Caylee. She was acquitted of murder in summer 2011.

Ashton left the State Attorney’s Office after the case but then unseated his former boss in an election this past summer. Ashton will take office Jan. 8.

Elizabeth Mitchell of “Lost” plays prosecutor Linda Drane Burdick. Oscar Nunez of “The Office” plays defense attorney Jose Baez.

Singer Chris Brown won’t face charges

MIAMI

Grammy-winning singer Chris Brown won’t be charged with a crime after a woman claimed he snatched her cellphone when she tried to take his photo outside a Miami Beach club.

A memo released Friday by the Miami-Dade County State Attorney’s office concludes there is no evidence that Brown intended to steal the phone in February or that he deleted the photo. One or the other is necessary for him to be charged.

Prosecutors say that Brown tossed the phone from his limo and that it was picked up by security.

A felony charge against the 24-year-old might have triggered a violation of his probation for his 2009 assault on singer Rihanna, who was his girlfriend at the time. The two recently collaborated on a new duet.

Vindicator wire reports


Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.


News
Opinion
Entertainment
Sports
Marketplace
Classifieds
Records
Discussions
Community
Help
Forms
Neighbors

HomeTerms of UsePrivacy StatementAdvertiseStaff DirectoryHelp
© 2014 Vindy.com. All rights reserved. A service of The Vindicator.
107 Vindicator Square. Youngstown, OH 44503

Phone Main: 330.747.1471 • Interactive Advertising: 330.740.2955 • Classified Advertising: 330.746.6565
Sponsored Links: Vindy Wheels | Vindy Jobs | Vindy Homes | Pittsburgh International Airport