Youngstown ushers in new era in football at restored Rayen Stadium

Published: Sat, August 25, 2012 @ 6:54 p.m.

Are you ready for some football?

Many people who used to play or attend games at a North Side stadium were more than ready.

And they got their wish a few hours after Saturday’s dedication and ribbon-cutting ceremony that ushered in the newly restored Judge William Rayen Stadium, which had sat idle for nearly three decades.

The 45-minute gathering, themed “The Comeback is Complete,” preceded Saturday’s 2 p.m. kickoff between longtime rivals East High School and the Ursuline Fighting Irish on Jack Antonucci Field.

Ursuline claimed victory Saturday, rallying from an 18-0 halftime deficit to beat East, 41-24.

For more on the ceremony and the game, read Sunday's Vindicator or Vindy.com.

1southsidedave(5159 comments)posted 3 years, 3 months ago

All I see is a great waste of money that could have been used in other places.

2Otto(20 comments)posted 3 years, 3 months ago

Why do you say that, your reasons?

3Lifes2Short(3879 comments)posted 3 years, 3 months ago

Because once the hoopla wears off, this field is going to be a hang out for wanna be gangstas on Friday nights.....

4MLC75(644 comments)posted 3 years, 3 months ago

Newsflash it was private donations !

5Education_Voter(1014 comments)posted 3 years, 3 months ago

We had a good time, beautiful day. It was nice to get away from the cavernous, cold cement feel of the YSU stadium and onto a field.

6southsidedave(5159 comments)posted 3 years, 3 months ago

@jimmyd123...I understand it was private money, still a waste to me for high school football. For the most part, uneducated & spoiled athletes.

7Lifes2Short(3879 comments)posted 3 years, 3 months ago

""Not all the kids in the city are, as your put it Life, "gangsters." There are quite a few that want to have a normal life, but it's people like you that want to just write them off and say their no good because they were born in the city. Instead of kicking the kids why don't you two get off your butts and do something to help???""

Where did I say ALL kids were gangsters? Read my past comments and you'll see NUMEROUS times I mention that there are A LOT MORE kids that are productive members of society, get help, want the help, then the cockroaches that squirm in the streets.
And again, read my past comments, and you will see that I do talk to the kids in school and in jail and rehab centers about the dangers of drinking and drugging, because I'm a felon and I've been through all that. Riches to rags. So sorry to burst your bubble.

"@jimmyd I agree with you completely,Dave and Life2Short are negative on most articles."

No, the only negative comments that come from me are the useless DNA wanna be gangstas that are beyond help because they don't want help and they have no morals and only care about themselves! Been there, done that, and brought the tshirt. So sorry to disappoint you to......

© 2015 Vindy.com. All rights reserved. A service of The Vindicator.