Youngstown students will be able to report bullying

Published: Thu, August 16, 2012 @ 12:07 a.m.

SEE ALSO: Canfield BOE gives details of new programs

By Denise Dick

denise_dick@vindy.com

Youngstown

Beginning this year, students can anonymously report bullying or safety concerns to the city school district.

“If there’s some activity that they believe is taking place, either of bullying or of some type of safety nature, they’re able to report those types of things to the district so we can kind of head them off,” said William Morvay, chief of security for the school district.

The number is 330-965-2865.

Karen Ingraham, district communication and outreach director, said calls that pertain to safety or security will be handled by Morvay while John Allen, district ombudsman, will address bullying reports.

Callers will hear a recording that directs them to leave information about an incident.

The line allows callers to remain anonymous, but if they want to know how a situation they report is resolved, they’ll be given a number. When they call back, they input that number to learn the outcome.

Before creation of the bullying/safety tip line, such incidents would be reported to a building principal who would investigate and call in Allen if required. Morvay said his office would get involved only if there was an allegation of criminal activity.

When a person calls the tip line, notification will be sent to Morvay, Allen, Superintendent Connie Hathorn’s office and the director of student services.

Those individuals will determine which of them should address the call, Morvay said.

“We see it as another beneficial tool to use to prevent some things that might occur,” he said.

Comments

1southsidedave(4780 comments)posted 2 years ago

Bullying is so senseless but it has been going on forever and will never stop...

2zz3(931 comments)posted 2 years ago

I agree ssdave and reporting any problems to the school system is a waste of time anyway.

3DwightK(1251 comments)posted 2 years ago

Silence is a tooll bullies use to intimidate their victims. They count on their victims being too frightened to say anything so they can continue tormenting them.

Getting someone in authority involved is always the right thing to do. It's never a waste of time to report bullies to someone who can make them stop.

Reporting bullies can be the first step in getting them removed from the victim's presence, whether it's in the classroom, on the bus or in other situations.

4brokeanddontcare(12 comments)posted 2 years ago

I was tormented in 5th grade by a particular fellow on the football team. After months of being afraid of him and his friends, I ran up behind him one morning in the hall, reached through and grabbed a handful. I squeezed and twisted with all I good muster for a couple minutes til the guy was rolling around on the floor crying. Never had another bully problem.

5georgejeanie(793 comments)posted 2 years ago

If this is an anonymous call, how can the powers to be call the purported bully in and investigate the alleged incident? Sounds like more feel good logic to me.

6peggygurney(392 comments)posted 2 years ago

georgejeanie, yes it's an anonymous call. Anonymous meaning the caller doesn't have to give his/her name, but can give the name of the person doing the bullying, time, date, etc.

I was bullied all through school, and no one took me seriously when I reported it - except the person(s) bullying me, of course. I just got it worse. SO, I suffered in silence once I got into high school. If this helps even a little - just one person - then I'm glad to see this "feel good" measure being taken.

7zz3(931 comments)posted 2 years ago

Evidently there is nobody here who has delt with a school about bullying! As one who has believe me a waste of time, and if you listen to national news most stories about this include information about school being informed and doing nothing!! If you do report it you are the BAD guy to the school and not a warm helping hand like you believe. Case in point the lastest shooter at the movies, the school was told about this persons mental capacities and did nothing (as usual)