Thousands ‘Eat Mor Chikin’ to vent views

Published: Thu, August 2, 2012 @ 12:10 a.m.

Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day draws gay marriage debate to 2 Boardman restaurants

photo

Dan Cathy

By Jamison Cocklin AND Jeanne Starmack

news@vindy.com

BOARDMAN

The U.S. Route 224 Chick-fil-A was nearly overrun Wednesday with droves of customers coming out to support the fast-food restaurant.

Supporters said they were there to support the restaurant’s president, Dan Cathy, who face backlash after voicing opposition to same-sex marriage in July.

More than 120 people filled the dining room and parking lot at the restaurant on Boardman-Poland Road for what was dubbed “Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day.”

Restaurant workers redirected a line of cars away from the main drive-through lane to prevent a traffic jam near the intersection of South Avenue and Boardman-Poland Road.

Instead, the cars were wrapped around the building to enter the drive-through from the parking lot.

Inside, a full crew filled orders for patrons waiting in lines from the cash registers to the front of the store near the playground area.

Many of the diners were on hand to show their support for freedom of speech, regardless of their positions on gay marriage.

“We agree with their right to an opinion — they’re allowed an opinion,” said Heather Springer, who drove from Atwater to meet family in support of Chick-fil-A. “This place should not be boycotted.”

“You should be able to voice your opinion without people jamming it down your throat,” added Springer’s father, John O’Brien, who drove from Pulaski, Pa.

The Kmart parking lot adjacent to Chick-fil-A was accommodating overflow, where customers had parked cars and gathered to eat their lunch and discuss the merit of what they considered a bold stance by Cathy, who has received the brunt of strong criticism from same-sex marriage supporters.

A few of those supporters came to protest Wednesday evening, gathering with signs in the Kmart lot.

“They’re supporting discriminatory practices,” said Anita Davis, board president of Youngstown Pride, a group that supports gay, bisexual and transgender people.

Before she could continue, a woman walked off the Chick-fil-A property and handed her a “million-dollar bill” that contained some “million-dollar questions” about moral behavior.

“Have you read through the Bible?” asked the woman, Mindy Reigstad of Youngstown. “Jesus said humble yourselves in the eyes of the Lord.”

“What am I doing wrong?” Davis asked her.

“Not bowing before the face of the Lord,” Reigstad said.

“What would God say is a good person?” Reigstad continued. “Honor your father and mother. Have you done that? I would say not.”

“How am I not honoring my parents?” asked Janet Kust of Campbell. “‘Cause I’m gay?”

“We have all sinned,” Reigstad said.

“What compelled you to give me that?” asked Davis about the million-dollar bill.

“I wanted to give you the good news,” said Reigstad, who went on to defend Cathy’s right to free speech.

“You are picking a fight ‘cause he’s standing up for what he believes,” she said. “There’s a First Amendment right.”

The protesters pointed out that they have that right also.

“[Cathy] gave money to the American Family Association,” Davis told Reigstad. “What is their policy on gays adopting children?”

The AFA is a group that promotes conservative Christian values. The Southern Poverty Law Center added the AFA to its list of anti-gay hate groups in 2010.

Davis told The Vindicator it is Chick-fil-A’s support of anti-gay associations that is the reason for the protest. She also said she was not surprised by the huge crowd that turned out to support the sandwich chain.

“Bigotry and prejudice is embedded and ingrained,” she said. “It’s going to take another generation before it’s gone.”

“Before gays, it was black people and Jewish folks,” she continued.

There were not a lot of same-sex supporters there — six, including two young gay men who happened to be driving by and stopped to high-five the three main protesters.

“I think it’s despicable that someone who sells chicken should be defining what is or isn’t marriage,” said Daniel Burns of Hubbard.

“I just don’t think it’s right for any big business to dictate what is moral and right,” said Kyle Rea of Girard.

Chris Hetrick, who is visiting relatives in Warren, said he lives in a proudly gay city, Wilton Manors, Fla.

He said marriage would allow gays the same rights to an estate after one member of a couple dies.

Sherry Leasure, who came to the Boardman restaurant from Bristolville with her granddaughter Julia, said she not only “liked” the restaurant on Facebook, but also made a special effort to locate the nearest location.

“This is about supporting the Cathy family,” said Leasure, who also opposes same-sex marriage. “This is about private enterprise. The liberal media can say whatever they want, but when conservative Christians speak up, they get pummeled.”

Chick-fil-A’s Southern Park Mall location was also busy around 2 p.m. with about 10 customers waiting in line and all the nearby tables full.

Across the country, there were several demonstrations for and against the company’s position on same-sex marriage.

A spokeswoman for the Rev. Billy Graham says the 93-year-old evangelist ate a Chick-fil-A lunch, including a chicken sandwich and waffle fries, at his North Carolina home.

Cathy told the Baptist Press last month that the Atlanta-based company was “guilty as charged” for backing “the biblical definition of a family.” Gay rights groups and others answered with calls for boycotts.

Opponents of Cathy’s stance have planned “Kiss Mor Chiks” for Friday, asking couples of the same sex to show up at Chick-fil-A locations and kiss each other.

Contributor: Associated Press

Comments

1madison2011(88 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

suckers chik fila got evrybody buying that dirty yardbird..using politics clever marketing...

2lilgandee(103 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Lowe's is still here and will be and so will Chic-Fil-A. People or businesses have the right to stand up for what they believe in whether everyone agrees or not. The nice thing about America is you can choose whether to be friends with the people you disagree with as well as choose to not patronage a business you disagree with. Obviously there are others who believe in the right to express your opinion or the same beliefs. When you disagree with gays you are called homophobic but in my own stance against gays is due to the way they display their affection in front of my children and it is the first thing they want to do to show Chic-Fil-A by going for "kissmorchiks". It confuses my 7 year old daughter and making it the new "normal" where everyshow has a gay relationship in it in turn forcing it down our throats, watching men and woman kiss the same sex on NBC, CBS, Abc is deplorable, the broadcasting having anything to do with sex should be when children are in bed. Any expression of opinions should not elicit apologizing or picketing just go elsewhere, like I did when JCP started their new campaign, picketing these establishments just reinforce lack of equality in free speech and opinions. I never went to Chik-Fil-A because they are not plentiful as McDonalds but we have been there and will keep going there some people are ready for wholesome values to be brought back to the forefront.

3oldskool(95 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

For sure a great marketing ploy.

4block50(127 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Just like the money changers in the Temple, those who use Him to profit will not be looked kindly upon. What a cheap lousy ploy to make some extra change. Pretty funny watching sheep eat chicken.

5Knightcap(609 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Anyone looking to start a business, this would be an good time to open a Chic-Fil-A in this area if they allow franchises. Austintown, Liberty or Warren would be great sites. I think that idiot mayor in Chicago started this political football and it looks like Mike Huckabee won.

6rightofronnie(11 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

I think the part that everyone is missing here is that the owner of this company CAN HAVE WHATEVER OPINION HE WANTS TO HAVE!!!!! Those of you who are battling this and saying it is wrong to speak his mind, seem to be ok with free speech when it is coming from your glorified leftist actors and mucisians in Hollywood. It is ok for that fat SOB Michael Moore to trash a president of the US, it is ok for Sean Penn, Angelina Jolie and George Clooney to trash the conservatives of this country...but oh when it gets turned around HOW MAD YOU GET! Remember the old adage..."people who live in glass houses..." Do I support gay marriage...no. Does it bother me...no. If it became a law would it bother me...no. HOWEVER, do I feel that someone who is against it who speaks their mind should be called a bigot, racist, prejudicial monster...no. That is the beauty of this country folks, we can all have our own opinions and speak out about them. If those of you who are protesting this guy for saying what he said, would put your minds together and petition your lawmakers instead, you might have a better chance of getting what you want, instead of looking like a bunch of idiots. And by the way..I do have just one pet peeve about some of the gay couples I have seen, and it is evident in this article...do you know why people find your relationships somewhat of an issue? The fact that you would want to organize a "kiss more chicks" campaign and want to make-out in public. I dont condone that from heterosexual couples! I think that PDA is disgusting at that level and you really ought to keep that stuff behind closed doors. Maybe one of the reasons that folks find your way of life to be not so tolerant???

7glbtactivist(236 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Businesses are not people. They have no first amendment rights. The owner should keep her private opinions seperated from the business. When Germans banned marriage between Jews and Arians, it was widely supported. Was it right? Did it lead to better times for Germany? These religious bigots had better think twice before they try to force their extreme views on everyone.

8chevelle64(11 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

let us all gather to express our hate and intolerance of those different from our religious beliefs, it is the american way. In Iran there are no gays, we need to follow strict religious law here too, we must all live as the bible says.

9nonchalant(12 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

The gays are not being supported and their world is falling down. Now we will see more of those in your face theatrics.

10Lifes2Short(3867 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

11rex(62 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

The rights of freedom of speech and freedom of religion must be protected. I don't agree with with the message but I will defend his right to say it.

12franc004(71 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

I don't think the issue is about the CEO's beliefs or his right to say anything. It's about his company donating nearly $3 million to some pretty nasty anti-gay groups. This is the real issue and it got lost in what was a brilliant repackaging of this fact by the Right to make it seem like he is being persecuted for what he said, not what he does. Of course, according to the Citizens United ruling, donations are a form of political speech, so he's perfectly within his rights to donate as he wishes and people are within their rights to boycott or support the business. Frankly the whole thing has just become a silly superficial circus but I give the Right credit for winning this one--eating fast food drive thru chicken as some big political statement--it's so sad, yet effective.

13UncleStink(12 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

The sandwiches at Chik Fil-A are damn tasty. Thats why I go to Chik Fil-A now and will continue to go in the future. I really could care less what their or for that matter anyone else's stance is on gay marriage. I just know their food is delicious and when I frequent their establishments, all I really want is a tasty delicious sandwich!

14DwightK(1181 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

This is the dumbest political argument I have ever heard. Eating chicken from this joint means you think people of the same sex shouldn't be married?

If I eat the Colonel's does that mean I support gay marriage? Is there anything I need to know about how my decision to eat a Baconator at Wendy's may be interpreted?

15kensgirl(540 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Why can't we all just get along???

16DAWABBIT(30 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Dwight, you said:

"If I eat the Colonel's does that mean I support gay marriage?"

You indeed do have a point so let's not go there.

17paulparks(235 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

"Gay Marriage" is an oxymoron. There is no such thing. Quit shoving the homosexual agenda down our throats! Good for Mr. Cathy!

18mcgill319(8 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Wow, Ignorance is Bliss is alive and well in the Youngstown, Boardman area.One of the bloggers said Iran doesn't have Gay people. Is he now supporting a Dictatorship? Iran has Gay people, they just are not allowed to be open about it. The same as women don't have rights either. How ignorant is this person? One women mentions every T.V. station that shows sex and Gay people,except Fox, of course which has their fair share, but she is to blinded by their propaganda, that she is ignorant of the facts. The bottom line, corporations should not try to control or buy elections, nor should a company (Chic-Fil-A)
deemed what is righteous. They are not people. People work for them. You people crack me up with shouting Freedom of Speech. You all claim you don't want Gov in your lives, but at every turn, you want Gov to make laws to support you views. I guess you think the bridges and roads you use everyday or your Medicare and S.S.or when there is a national disaster or life saving regulations on companies who pollute and have unsafe working conditions Etc came from God.
A blogger is asking you to gather to express your hate and intolerance, but at the same time, stating to follow the Biblical way. Jesus was killed by people like him. I must say, brilliant move by Chic-Fil-A, you sheep are lining up for hours in the climate changing heat, (that's just to get on your nerves) to eat a mediocre chicken sandwich. Did I mention, I can't stand towns people, should I have a law to ban you from gathering in your stupidity?
Former and glad to be out, resident of Y-Town.

19Freeatlast(1991 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Very well said !!!!!!!!!!!
But it is also the right of a community if they do not want it in their Town SO BE IT It goes both ways

20GoPens(397 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Wonder how many of those supporters were bowing down and praying to the porcelain god last night from eating Chick-fil-a??

21rafcruzjr(11 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Dan Cathy never said he hated gays and neither did any of the people interviewed. Standing up for traditional family values is not hatred, but a personal choice. It is possible to love a person while disagreeing with their choices or lifestyle. The only ones who spoke in a hateful, angry tone were those who spoke against Dan Cathy and those who supported his view. Standing up for traditional family values is not hateful, racist or discriminatory. It's simply people's choice based on their beliefs. It's called disagreeing, that's all it is.

22espnlooop(23 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Better tow the Obama liberal line or you will be unable to work or own property in this country. Just like Chicago Mayor and former Obama advisor Rahm Emanuel said "Chic Fil-A is not welcome here because they don't think right."

23rafcruzjr(11 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

There are many corporations who have openly supported gay marriage, and no one from the gay community ever complained about them trying to influence our nation. AT&T, Home Depot, Microsoft Corp., Levi Strauss and many others have been less than secretive about their support of the gay lifestyle and gay marriage for many years. Why is it wrong for a company to voice a different opinion than theirs? These companies stand against traditional family values and they have been applauded for doing so. Why is it so wrong for a company to take a stand for traditional family values now? I see a double here. If you think it's wrong for one, then it ought to be wrong for all.

24franc004(71 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Well, he kind of did "say it" when he donated millions to groups classified as "Hate groups" by The Southern Poverty Law Center. And his company has had at least 12 discrimination law suits waged against it, most of which they have settled out of court ranging from things like trying to force single women out of the workplace so they could be "stay at home Moms." The most recent lawsuit is here: http://www.glaad.org/files/101150536-...

25mcgill319(8 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Rafcruz,
You need to read your fellow bloggers again.
They ALL spoke of hate. Dan Cathy did not speak of loving one another. He also has a word for all you divorcees, I guess they're all going to hell too. Do they have a Chic-Fil-A in heaven? Who deemed Dan Cathy or any other self appointed family values moron, the person to cast their viewpoint on us?
Cathy does and has discriminated against his employees who were found out to be Gay. Should they just be grateful they have a job flipping chicken and making minimum wage, maybe, to make Dan Cathy a millionaire? I'm not Gay, but I don't hate those who are nor do I discriminate against them by believing they cannot work for me or with me and that they should not have the same rights in U.S. as I do. I see that most of the bloggers think only Lefties are Gay and we have no values, how moronic is that? Most,Republicans, just love Dick Cheney, regardless that he is a monster, but you are willing to except that his daughter is Gay. Did she get as pass from God or maybe Dan Cathy gave her the pass over lunch at Chic-Fil-A? I would trust leaving my children with my Gay friends more than people like these self righteous,Dan Cathy supporters. I taught my children that there is whole wide world out there that doesn't revolve around them. Go see the world, have an open mind to find your own answers. I have two beautiful "straight" daughters even through, they attended school with people of all faiths, origin and sexual preference/choice. Image that Bible Thoppers,They are respectful to those who are not like them. It would be my suggestion, you all do the same.

26zz3(877 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

So what he is allowed to belive what he wants to believe thats just the way it is and it is his right to do that. If the gay people are so bothered do a little leg work and have a new name given to the union between 2 same sex people and push for it to be legalized!! Don't demonize what has been fact for all these years and understood by all for all this time also. I'm so sick of minorities wanting to change things for the majorities all the time. Did you ever think we don't want to. We also would like to do and believe what we want to. Strange HUH

27Silence_Dogood(1222 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Global activist, you stated "These religious bigots had better think twice before they try to force their extreme views on everyone." I have to tell you that has to be dumbest statement that I have read today. If by extreme views you mean the views held by the OVERWHELMING MAJORITY of the people on this planet, that marriage is between a Man and a Woman, then I guess that you are not very GLOBAL in your perspective now are you. It is you that is trying to FORCE opinions on others.
It's called FREE SPEECH, wether you like it or not, just because you don't agree with it , does not mean that they are not allowed to hold these views.Who's looking like a NAZI now.

28Silence_Dogood(1222 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

HellaBB you stated that " He FAILS when it comes to properly conducting business in the 21st century", could you please explain to me then why Chic-fil- A System-wide sales in 2011 reached $4.1 billion. These figures reflect an 13.08 percent increase over the chain's 2010 performance and a same-store sales increase of 7 percent.

29Westsider(216 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Mr Cathy has a right to his opinion and a right to say what he believes. People who disagree should not patronize his establishment. While those whom he has offended hope that he goes out of business, I do not think that will happen any time soon. This is certainly creating quite the uproar.

30Silence_Dogood(1222 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

HellaBB I sense a lot of stress in your writings, I guess you have not been able to relieve any stress now that they shut down all the houses of ill repute in Warren. I would imagine that you blamed that on those holy rollers also.

31Silence_Dogood(1222 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

HellaBB before you continue to spew nonsense you might want to review FACTS.

www.privco.com/private-company/chick-...

I think you will find to your regret and utter disappointment that you don't know what the heck you are talking about.

I think you need to take a little more time in the classroom and review 8th grade economics yourself, DUMMY.

32Tomcat(202 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

after reading all the ranting going on in the gay community about this, is it any wonder us straight people are just loving supporting the Chick. Makes you feel all fuzzy inside to finally get your say on the subject. Why can't you perverts just go back in your closets.

33Silence_Dogood(1222 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Walter that was down right hilarious.

34Rockyroad(149 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

I'm at a crossroads as to whether it is a flaw in the human genome that causes us to behave irrationally or if it is just peculiar to Americans? I think that probably it is a flaw in humans with the subset Evangelical Christians being the worst example. Tomcat you are 180 degrees from being right; it is folks like you who are the "perverts".
You Bible-thumping Constitution-misquoting Patriots are the worst thing going in this country. America was founded on the idea of tolerance and you right-wing extremists want a Christian-Theocracy. Remember separation of church and state? Remember life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness for EVERYONE?? You lunatics hate everyone, Latinos, blacks, immigrants, women, gays.
Keep up the ignorant rants. Go buy 10 chicken sandwiches, take them home get on the Internet and watch porn with the rest of your righteous Christian friends.

35GoPens(397 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

@Rockyroad
Dont forget "All men are created equal", as many of these right wingers conveniently forget as well.

36olddude(194 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Dont forget " All men are created equal"..The transgender folks... Explain that one to me please.. Were they created and then recreated? Or were they just born to be recreated?

37PJR(19 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

The gays here seem to be telling us that it aint cool but hateful to be straight.

38Tomcat(202 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Hey Hell a**, do you have any idea just how disgusting your comments are. I will say no more........God will get you, LOL

39walter_sobchak(1752 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

God did not "invent" Sunday as the 7th day of rest. He created the Sunday. Edison was an inventor.

Now, as a filthy piece of scum Roman Catholic, I ask, why are you so angry with God?

40ANTIYOUNGSTOWN(226 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Taking religon out of the equation homosexual relationships are just plain UNNATURAL. No other species on the planet has a same sex relationship.

41franc004(71 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Not true several species, penguins, pandas, etc. have been documented to have same sex relationships. And do you really want to look to animals to set the standard for human behavior? Many animal species are not monogamous, routinely kill one another, and do all sorts of things we people wouldn't do. By your logic, it's marriage that is UNNATURAL ( it does not occur in any other species on the planet) so no one should be fighting over it--guess we just solved the problem.

42cambridge(2919 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

43palbubba(662 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

The results speak for themselves. Thousands out to support Mr. Cathy while their were 5 or 6 (depending on the Vindy's fuzzy math) out to supprt the gay community.
cambridge "All of you who get your direction from the bible...."judge not lest ye be judged".
Believing what the bible says and speaking out about it is not judging. Mr. Cathy did not judge anyone, but please don't let the truth get in the way of condemning.

44kensgirl(540 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Please everyone can we remain civil? I am totally offended at the horrible comments made towards Christians. I am a Christian and proud of it. I do not hate other religions. We all have an equal chance of seeing God when we die unless we hurt each other in this world. An asteroid doesn't have to hit this earth to kill us. We are imploding on ourselves. I am straight and I do not understand why some people are gay. Is it choice or genetics? I will not judge but I chose my friends on what is in their heart. Let Dan Cathy have his say - it is his right. I will keep my gay and straight friends because I agree to disagree. That is my right as an American.

45Lifes2Short(3867 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

hella

Reading your comments, you must be a very deranged individual. No reason to hate because someone disagrees with your beliefs. Get some help before it's to late. smh at stupid people in society today.....

46Silence_Dogood(1222 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

VINDY could you please explain to me why Walter is censured for his hot fudge sunday JOKE , but HellaBB can spew his hate nonsense.
Dont misunderstand me I am not for limiting free speech, I just want to know why you selectively censured Walter but not HellaBB.

47ANTIYOUNGSTOWN(226 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Homosexuality is unnatural because it there is no reason for its existence.

48ytownredux(117 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

And this is why nothing gets done in this country. It has to be this way or that way, we cannot find common ground anymore. I am a proud gay man, who was made this way by God, and can respect religion, but not zealots.

The owner of Chic Fil A has the right to express his views on the glbt community, and as a privately owned company, has the right to donate to whom he wants to support.

However, although boycotts are not always necessary, it does need to be publicized that this family takes money that you spend in that restaurant and gives it to extreme organizations that are detrimental to the glbt community. The glbt community needs to excercise its free speech to NOT patronize this restaurant and to let all of our ally's understand that their money they spend there goes toward hate groups.

Gay people are not going away, and we agree that EVERY one is entitled to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, not just the Christians. This was never about free speech, it was about exercising our rights to let the country know that a corporation is spending money towards hate groups and being bigoted towards certain classes of people. Buyer beware!

49TylerDurden(367 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

"Wow, what has society become. Everyone gets in a uproar because one individual is against gay marriage. Really?
Are there not more serious issues to deal with than a fast food restaurants owner beliefs. smh at such stupidity in society today. "

Excellent post. If only society could get this worked up over issues that will directly affect us in the next 2-3 years. It is going to be very difficult to meet and support/protest a restaurant when we are all standing in the same bread line remembering "the good old days".

50southsidedave(4710 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

There is not enough misery in the world today...therefore, this is proudly confirmed as "Pick on Chick-fil-A Day"

51oldskool(95 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

It is un-real
chic-fil-a gets more posts than ANY other stories
everyone hates
preach what you practice- hypocrates

proud supporter of FREE SPEECH
and All FREEDOM

Hope you all make out to the polls this fall! where it matters

52Lifes2Short(3867 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

redux

"The glbt community needs to excercise its free speech to NOT patronize this restaurant and to let all of our ally's understand that their money they spend there goes toward hate groups."

That's fine not patronizing a place because what they stand for.
Hate groups? Eagle Forum, Focus on the Family, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, Family Research Council, Exodus International and the Marriage & Family Legacy Fund is not "hate groups". It's a organization that believes in what they do, like GLAAD.

The Black Panthers and KKK are hate groups.

They've been donating money to these groups since 2003 and nothing was said. But now, in 2012, it's a major sin to do so? smh at such stupidity in society today.

And what about other private companies, you don't have no clue where there money goes.

53dturner256(29 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

lol, if kissing is having sex, people should just stop marring altogether, because, when they each say I DO, and kiss, does that mean their having sex with kids present

54dturner256(29 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

cathy supports mitt romney

55dturner256(29 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

lol, if they even think of opening a resturant in youngstown, it would,nt last 30 days

56dturner256(29 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

lmfao, when i went to see the crowd at the chick-fil-a in boardman, it was alot of people there, but nobody at mcdonald,s across the street, so, i went to the mcdonald,s, then went back to sit in the k-mart parking lot to watch the ignorant people, while eating my happy meal, which was great with my strawberry shake

57DAWABBIT(30 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

End the hate! Hug a gay today and see their way! LMAO

58dturner256(29 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

59hurrdurr(93 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Longterm Chick-Fil-A is screwed. I went by the parking lot to the one in Boardman at 5 p.m. last night. It was night and day to what came just a day before.

I'm going to say they probably isolated between 10 and 20 percent of potential customers. They're not going to simply make up that amount by catering to the church crowd. I'm thinking most of those who bought chicken sandwiches on appreciation day are already regular customers of the joint and will continue to be. There isn't going to be a wave of new business because of this. But there are those that did go to Chick-Fil-A who won't be anymore. And that will eat at the bottom line.

60whitesabbath(738 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Hope they have some bodyguards for the up comming event,

gay/lesbian kiss day...

let them in a couple at a time if they dont buy nothing, throw them out.

Better yet just have the drive-thru open.

61Knightcap(609 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Why not bring their parents, grandparents and siblings to watch them french kiss. I'm sure they'd be real proud of their childrens abnormal behavior in public.

62IslandMike(676 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

The gays and lesbians are going to shut this company down by hanging out and being excessively offensive to people who are "Christians."

They'll make straight people feel uncomfortable without breaking any laws. Two gays or two lesbians making out in the store should do it as long as they purchase something there is NOTHING Chick Hates Gays can do about it.

Chick-Hates-Gays CEO is entitled to his opinion and so are the gays and lesbians.

63IslandMike(676 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

If they do this every Friday, they'll shut the whole company down.

64franc004(71 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Actually there IS something the company can do about it, at least in Ohio, where the law allows business owners to refuse to serve citizens based on sexual orientation. Ohio's law, the second strictest in the country, allows legal discrimination of lgbt citizens in employment, housing, even restaurants and hotels. Lots to be proud of there Ohio--go get your chicken now.

65gordy850(22 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

I love Chick-fil-A, God bless Truett Cathy and all the employees. The entire point is missed by these protesters, Chick-fil-A did not discriminate against any members of the gay group at all. Mr. Cathy does not hold the same viewpoints as they do, so they think they have the right to attack him and his place of business. It seems to me that the protesters have unfairly discriminated against Chick-fil-A and have committed they very crime that they claim to despise. Also, legally, you should protest outside of the stores on the public sidewalk, that is the correct way to peacefully protest in this country. I believe Mr. Cathy has my respect on this issue!!

66IslandMike(676 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Every Friday is going to be "GAY FRIDAY."

67olddude(194 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

BB,
When you are on your deathbed, you will be one of those who asks for foregivness, as in a just in case.. Ive seen it before..And by the way, if anyone is spewing hate on this thread, it is you, child of God....

68cambridge(2919 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

It's hilarious how people keep bringing God and the bible in this argument. how "God" defined marriage blah blah blah.

If you bother to actually read the bible you know that Abraham, who is the first God revealed himself to had two wives and one of them was his sister. The great King Solomon was known for his many wives and concubines.

Tell me again what God and your bible says about marriage.

69WilliamSwinger(341 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

I just love when the truth falls out on the floor like in this thread. The victim-players come out so venomously, with such hatred, animosity, intolerance and bigotry against those they claim are victimizing them. Thanks be to all the hot-heads and big-mouths for making the truth once again self evident.

"...shall make no law... prohibiting the free exercise [of religion]; or abridging the freedom of speech..."

Amendment 1

Government officials denying business opportunity based on free expression of religious viewpoint and anybody at all questions whether this is right or wrong? It is Amendment 1 you mush-heads.

It is un-American to disrespect or attempt to deny anyone the sacred protections and privileges laid out in the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, plain and simple. Respect the Constitution, the Bill of Rights and our laws or kindly leave. You are no American if you attempt to deny another Free Speech or any of the Rights they are granted under these documents.

Do we need to point out which rights are not listed, big-mouths?

70whitesabbath(738 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Mush , Mush, and more mush.

Run it up over 100 comments of mush.

Exception ( first amendment )

NEXT !!!!!

71IslandMike(676 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Glad to have all you so called "christians" educate the rest of us on the fact that Jesus did NOT love everyone equally and that he hated sick people. That is why we must deny gays equal rights and deny poor people adequate health care. Thanks for letting us know that Jesus was NOT a healer of the sick and a HATER. Now make sure you look nice for church tomorrow.

72franc004(71 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Well there is that life liberty and pursuit of happiness thing, but I agree with you that the mayor's stances were way out of line and probably law. As for the "tolerance" argument seems to me that it's more than just that when, a religious viewpoint (prohibition against marriage) is made law and candidate Romney has signed a pledge to actually AMEND THE CONSTITUTION to deny civil liberties to one group of people. If equal rights were an established reality for all then one could talk about "tolerance" of different "religious and political views" but the fact remains that your religious and political views are enforced by the law in 29 states, including Ohio. The very notion of tolerance reveals who has all of the power on the issue doesn't it? --parents tolerate or don't tolerate behaviors of children because ultimately they are the authority, right? As for the whole Chicken thing, I couldn't care less what Cathy does with his money or with his words because I have the option of boycotting and protesting as did the one million moms group over JC Penny's use of Ellen Degeneres as a spokesperson. And under the Citizens United Ruling Cathy's contributions are a form of "free speech." But it is a little bit more complicated than that, and a legal challenge would be interesting--I wonder if the mayors could argue that since their cities do have protections for LGBT citizens that a business that funnels funds to what Southern Poverty law Center has identified as "hate groups" is violating the law. It's pretty shaky, but it'd be a really interesting argument.

73Silence_Dogood(1222 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

"I wonder if the mayors could argue that since their cities do have protections for LGBT citizens that a business that funnels funds to what Southern Poverty law Center has identified as "hate groups" is violating the law. It's pretty shaky, but it'd be a really interesting argument."

Pretty shaky to say the least. Just because an ULTRA-LEFTIST group makes a false claim about another group you act as if it is true.
The Heritage Foundation can declare GLADD a hate group today, so using your logic all funding sources could be deemed illegal.GET REAL.

74franc004(71 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Yeah it's called a hypothetical argument (not a REAL) one and your quote "all funding sources could be deemed illegal" was kind of my point. And it's pretty easy to research the groups Cathy has contributed to so whether or not they are hateful is up to the individual and not false.

75cue(9 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

You can dance the dance, do the deed and the good book you think you don't have to heed. When it's your choice who can you blame when the end comes and you have had no shame. The ultimate power will send you to your destiny for eternity. Nobody escapes this earth alive!

76whitesabbath(738 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Nothing new here....

Same ole bs .....

Mush, Mush, and more Mush...

77margarita(19 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

1. Freedom of Speech
2.Freedom of Religion
3.1% of the population!! Quit trying to convince people that your abhorrent behavior is normal. Yes, it is a choice---can't help it if you choose what you do. BUT...Take it to your bedroom-Nobody cares about your goings on!!!

78Lifes2Short(3867 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

fran c

""And it's pretty easy to research the groups Cathy has contributed to so whether or not they are hateful is up to the individual and not false."

In that case then you can call any origination a "hate" group if they oppose something. Are you serious? What has society become when some guy talks about his beliefs to a Christian group and it gets all blown out of the water. Calling him a hater and blasting what he does with HIS money, etc. The guy is probably the nicest man around. Amazing how "SERIOUS" issues don't get this much attention.

BB

You really are a strange pitiful little man or women with your grade school tantrums. Move out of your parents basement and get some much needed help. Or at least try to have a civilize argument. Such stupidity in society today.

79uptowngirl(92 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

The GLBT can do whatever they want to get equal rights however, do not call it marriage. Marriage was a religious covenant before it became a civil ceremony. If the GLBT community wants to be treated with respect, they can respect the fact the marriage is sacred covenant not an equal rights ammendment.

80franc004(71 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Actually Uptown, I agree. Seems to me you could just call the legal arrangement a civil union for everyone--that would be the required license issued at city hall. Then leave it up to the various churches whether or not they want to perform "marriages." Of course all of the legal and tax protections would be attached to the civil union, not the marriage.

81pwhite1027(102 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

I never really ate at Chick Fila but I went over the weekend. There food is great and the stand up for what is true and godly. GOd Bless them! I'm going to start eating lunch there every day as I appreciate them standing up for what is right and not hiding behind their beliefs like the queers do.

82ANTIYOUNGSTOWN(226 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

wow, keep spewing that hate and you`ll be smited into having that heart attack.

83whitesabbath(738 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

This mush is still posted, what a shame Vindy, put some real news up .

84IslandMike(676 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Mark Foley, Ted Haggard and Larry Craig are three of the holier than thou republiCONS who preached out against gay lifestyles only to get caught in homosexual scandals. Seems like they were just towing the party line of say one thing and do another.

85doubled(210 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Now for the next 364 days, all of the rest of us will exercise our right to not eat at CFA. We'll see how they do when 150-200 thousand people who used to eat there a 4-5 times a month just simply stop. The way I figure it, that's millions in lost revenue each year. We'll see.

86WilliamSwinger(341 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

@IslandMike

"...Mark Foley, Ted Haggard and Larry Craig are three..."

At least the Republicans you name still understood that their acts were shameful and tried to hide their vile deeds. Still having a conscience has to be a positive, right?

Besides, your logic is twisted more than your views. A person that has committed murder cannot denounce murder as wrong? That's dumb and it is a logical fallacy... Tu quoque.

We could even argue that these three men were in a superior position to judge homosexual behavior as deviant, unhealthy and objectively incorrect since they experienced firsthand the destruction it caused.

Nice try though.

87WilliamSwinger(341 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

@doubled

I went to a Chick-fil-A for lunch with a friend the other day and I looked around and realized a few things. There were children running and playing, families enjoying the afternoon, good-hearted employees genuinely checking on the satisfaction of the customers, etc. The place was filled with good people. And I realized something. This has never been a greater place to bring your family for some good food and good times. Do you know what these families do not want to be around? Many, many of the people, lifestyles and attitudes of the modern Left. And then I realized that when you and all the other Lefties stay away from Chick-fil-A in protest you are actually making an oasis free from all the things these families don't like to be around anyway. I had a great lunch and am looking forward to enjoying the quiet, respectful, family environment once again.

I applaud your commitment to the protest and encourage you to stay away from the Chick-fil-A as much as possible so that we who see things differently can enjoy the place in peace and quiet.

88whitesabbath(738 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Chick - Fil - A has some great food, my family and friends enjoy it.

I'd like to see all of the gays and lesbians put on an Island and see just how long it would take to pro-create.

I'm sure a few will take ONE for the team.

89IslandMike(676 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

@ Whitey,

Mark Foley, Ted Haggard and Larry Craig did NOT have a conscience guiding their decisions, they were living a LIE. They were living that lie because they knew if the TRUTH were revealed that it would adversely affect them. As you said, when the TRUTH was revealed they suffered consequences. They suffered consequences because they preached good 'ol conservative family values, all the while knowing that was NOT how they lived their own lives. Just like Sarah Palin preaching about "conservative family values," all the while knowing that she is really white trash. Having had a relationship with former NBA player Glen Rice, snorting cocaine, having an affair with her husbands business partner, having an unwed pregnant daughter back at the trailer park. It's not their actions that people find offensive, it's the FACT that they preach to the rest of us as to how we should live our lives. They need to MIND THEIR OWN BUSINESS.

90AmericanApex(13 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

I just wanted to clairify a few things for those with library cards in their pocket they have never used...

Old Testament is Jewish Law,New Testament is Christ's Word,You will note the testaments are labeled NEW and OLD for a reason.

Christians and catholics didnt exist until Christ was nailed to the cross. this is important information if you are going to attack us please use the correct doctrine so you dont sound so grey matter deficient in your ad hominem laden ramblings.

also remember Christians are not catholic and catholics are not Christians.For most in this country Christianity began when Luther Nailed his 95 theses to the church doors in Wittenberg and we fled here so we could pray and worship as we choose. (Yes Virginia Our nation was founded on Christian Principles) again this is important heathens so pay attention. The IDEA of a Hedge between Church and State is to protect us from the government not the other way around. that is why its the First Amendment. The Second is to make sure the first is Honored, you will also note no where in our founding texts will you find the words " A Seperation of Church and State ". it was suggested in a letter to Jefferson from his father in law who was a pastor of the danberry baptist church. the idea was to prevent the Government from creating a state funded religion like EVOLUTION and forcing the people to practice it.

God said Homosexuality is a sin and in the same verse he said checking out your neighbors wife was also a sin in the bible Paul does not single out the homosexual as a special offender. He includes fornicators, idolators, adulterers, thieves, covetous persons, drunkards, revilers and extortioners. (I Corinthians 6:9; 10).

ALL sin is Evil in the eyes of God weather it be sexual deviance or just having a few to many out back in the yard...

I suggest people actually start reading the bible before pretending to know something about it and what God expects from us...

One more Thing !!!
Where is the outrage for islam?
Christians have never beheaded, a homosexual or thrown one off a building or mountain nor do we have laws that allow that here unless Sharia Law is brought to America.

In ALL Middle Eastern Countries the penalty for Homosexuallity is DEATH.
why is no one boycotting OPEC?

OPEC donates to both Hezbollah and Hamas both of whom HANG Homosexuals the day they arrive in a town on their recruting missions.

Do you know why no one is boycotting OPEC because your Sheep and OPEC is your OIL shepherd, you would rather pay twice what other nations pay to our enemies rather than dig a hole and get your own. The problem isnt BIG OIL its SMALL BRAINS....

We need to make ourselves FREE from Over Priced Oil supplied by people who hate us.

Hats off to the Cathys..
All this typing has made me hungry, Time for a Deluxe Chicken Sandwich,Waffle Fries (and with regard for "Mayor Bloomberg" )a Nice Xtra Large 32oz SweetTea w/ extra lemon.

91AmericanApex(13 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Listen HellaBS you and i both know your mouth moves faster than your brain but how about you just address the ISSUES, you Libritards think to little and talk to much, and since the above conversation is obviously above your level of education what did you hope to accomplish? You cant debate me and win an argument so you resort to ad hominem attacks to boost your tiny ego... Dont feel salty, ive been at this a while...

Enjoy the Video..

92franc004(71 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Apex: "Catholics are not Christians"? So only Protestants, i.e, Baptist evangelicals are Christians? Wow all of those Episcopalians, Greek Orthodox, Eastern Orthodox, and countless other faiths are in for a real surprise I guess.

93walter_sobchak(1752 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Apex
While you make some valid points, you need correction. Not all Christians are Catholic but all Catholics are definitely Christians. Martin Luther, who was obsessed with "bowels", nailed his theses to the church door in 1517, about 25 years after Columbus's first visit. I think the flocks of people didn't come for some time. Certainly, religious freedom was a factor when they did come but I think it was more to flee the Church of England, not the Roman Catholic Church. But, your theological points are pretty valid in my view. As for Hella BB, I am more convinced than ever that the poster is upset with God for some reason; maybe the death of a loved one, failed relationship, not happy with their overall appearance ( fat, unattractive, dumb).

94AmericanApex(13 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Franc Remember earlyer i mentioned ones mouth running faster than ones brain can think? well your doing that right now...

and i do not condemn that, providing the vatican doesnt start sending out suicide bombers:o)

I am a Protestant, well moreso Lutheran Missouri Synod but I study alot of John Calvin's works. and i do believe in the 5 points of Calvinism. however i dont care how someone worships as long as there is no violence.

i believe if the catholics are responsible for any violence in our history they have made up for it with compassion, works may not get them to heaven but i wont bite the hand that feeds the mouth.without the catholic diocese of youngstown i know alot of people who would have gone hungry.

Im not sure what your motivation in behind being an agent provocateur is but those tactics dont work with me.

now if you dont mind Im going to go and have an intelligent conversation with Mr Sobchak..

95Search4Answers(710 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

The Chick-Fil-A owners have a right to believe whatever they want provided they do not discriminate in hiring practices or anything like that. My opinion is obviously biased by their delicious spicy chicken sandwich and the great atmosphere though. It is much better than the clinically depressed employee atmosphere that Subway has going on.

96AmericanApex(13 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Hello Mr Sobchak,

I didnt mean any disrespect, and i was speaking of the Anglicans in mind but most wont understand what i meant if i didnt just say catholic.

Although Columbus discovered America predominantly Protestants populated it as well as many torn catholics. all differences aside, i have no arguments with the average catholic its the militant roman catholics i cant stand, but we all have our flakes dont we.

As for the first of us meaning Roanoke and Jamestown and those that came on the Mayflower in 1620 we didnt come directly from England most had been hiding out in other countries for a generation or two my ancestors went to the Netherlands first to excape the wrath of the English Church and from there came here first to Gloucester Ma and then to Pa and Ohio.

My only point is people should know the difference between catholic and Protestant/Christians but not to the point that it causes the kind of damage done during the reformation. but rather know that the crusades had nothing to do with Reformation Christians and Christians are not forbidden to eat shellfish.

I just want people to unravel the negative dogma surrounding the judeo-Christian religions.

Jews are not catholic and catholics are not Christians, the translations of our text are as different as our cultures and beliefs.

The Geneva Bible doesnt say what the KJV 1611 does and the foot notes are even further off the beaten path and dont get me started on the Talmud

The fact of the matter is we just disagree and in America thats Okay.

97walter_sobchak(1752 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

HellaBB
Thanks for acknowledging that Jesus is the Messiah and he will return to judge both the living and the dead. It is important that we pray for the forgiveness of all of the worlds sins, not just our own. Jesus came to this world to save all of us. Repentence and belief in the Lord's Gospels are crucial. But, for some reason, you are angry with God. You believe most of us will roast in hell so you obviously believe in a heaven. Resolve your anger as it is consuming you.

98whitesabbath(738 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Jumpin Jihad--- threads turned into a HOLY WAR ----

Grammar Nazi ---- kiss my ARSE

99AmericanApex(13 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Now i know your a little slow hellaBS and thats ok we have gotten use to seeing those little yellow buses around the city and your silly smiling faces pressed against the glass but at some point you will have to absorb some of this because its important,

OLD TESTAMENT is JEWISH LAW.
Thats before Christ as in BC now like i said i know your slow so pay attention closely, Christ had to die for there to be Christians, remember Christ was a JEW not a Christian, he is the reason we are called Christians. He came to save us and the Jews from ourselves.

The sin before Christs Death was the reason for his coming. Now this is the important part so take your underwear off your head and pay attention.

All the violence and hatred from the Old Testement you are complaining about was commited by the Jews, Hence its not Christs fault nor is it the fault of any Christian.

Where exactly did i say Martin Luther Invented Christianity? Now i know the ritalin has turned your brain to mush but its not that complicated if you read the words as they are written without adding your own spin its really not that hard to follow. its nice to see you found your imagination but now is not the time for pretend save that for for the playroom.

i know this is alot to take in at once and it might be a bit confusing at times, after all we dont have the best public school system in the state but its not advance mathmatics or anything and its not that hard to understand.

Alot of people have done alot of bad things in Christ name since his death. But non of this is Christ fault nor is it the fault of any of his true believers. Christ came to save us from the wrath of his father because he loves us that much, John 3:16 tells us as much.

God allowed Christ to take the punishment of the world to save a race of people who dont deserve to touch the hem of his garment,and it was done out of love.

God said he would destroy us if we became sinful again, when we did he was left with very little choice but Christ stepped in because he still had faith in the human race. and he took our place upon the cross, he was Crushed for our sin and Bruised for our iniquities, he was hung on the cross,died was buried and rose again on the third day and now he sits at Gods right hand and I imagine he is wondering why at this point in time.

I dont know what your beef is with God or Christ for that matter but i suggest you actually sit down and read the bible.if anything just for the historical value. Remaining stupid is your choice and your right. but dont expect us to go easy on you because you are to lazy to actually learn the truth for yourself....

Schools Out...

Time for some More Chick-Fil-A.

100cambridge(2919 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Read the bible for it's historical value?

The universe is only six thousand years old?

Moses lived hundreds of years?

Jonah lived three days in the belly of a fish?

Noah gathered two of every species including microbes but somehow forgot dinosaurs who would have had to live at the same time as man because....the universe is only six thousand years old?

I could go on but I have to stop now, me side hurts from laughing so much.

101AmericanApex(13 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Hey Cambildge How ya doing Buddy !!!

Well it sure beats the alternative state funded religion of evolution.

You believe we all came from a rock that boiled in a primordial soup for a couple of million years, then magically that rock came to life. found something to eat then found a mate and from there populated this earth with every living thing we see today.Okaaay LOL

Science can explain the bible but it can not explain evolution. Evolution is a humanist religion built on lies deception fraud and hoaxes,

There is not one stretch of truth in your little fairytale,evolution is a myth. it never happened its only purpose was to make God bleed.

The truth of the matter is i cant prove God exists then again you cant prove he does not, however i can prove that evolution is one a religion and two a fairytale for sheep. Care to debate the issue? Or maybe not?

Either way i would be happy to school you again :o)

102cambridge(2919 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

AmericanApex.....Thanks for the offer "to school me again". That's very generous of you.

I do have a couple questions but first do me a favor, you don't get to say what I believe, I get to say what I believe.

Now for the questions:
1. How long ago was the universe created?
2. If God wanted us to have a reference book for life why doesn't he just write one himself instead of having who knows who write it?

You can consider those questions a test of both your faith and your intelligence. Thanks in advance for the schooling.

103franc004(71 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Apex forgive me for misunderstanding: "I said nothing of the kind. catholics are not Christians in the biblical tradition they are catholic, they have their own traditions and there own culture."

Yeah, that would be the bible and the worship of, uh, Christ, hence the term Christian.

And you did kind of say Martin Luther invented Christianity:

"Christianity began when Luther Nailed his 95 theses to the church doors in Wittenberg and we fled here so we could pray and worship as we choose."

Your words not mine. So maybe when you are finished "schooling" everyone else, you might go back to school and learn to express yourself with more precision.

Yes, Luther's Reformation was a response to what was labeled the "abuses of the Catholic church" namely, the selling of offices, pardons and indulgences, the enormous wealth of the monasteries, the unchastity of the supposedly celibate clergy, etc. and the doctrine of good works that had been perverted by the first abuse listed above. The Puritan denominations saw the Anglican church as unlawful because the former believed in the tenets of "sola scriptura" and "sole fide" "By scripture alone and by faith alone," and found no justification in Scripture for the system of bishops, etc., that were part of the Church of England.

So maybe don't assume that no one but your supreme intellect understands the difference between Catholics and Anglicans and you can avoid messy, careless statements like those quoted above.

104franc004(71 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Apex: I really was not trying to be an "agent provocateur" either. I actually agree with you that many, many Catholics do a whole lot of good by practicing the virtues of service and humility (many in my own family) but your statements came across as a whole lot of fundamentalist arrogance that DID suggest Catholics are not Christians--such is the trouble of internet discourse.

105AmericanApex(13 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Come on Cammy we both know your a Metrosexual Puppet and that in your world science is king.and since this is STILL a free country i will assume what i please.

Question 1 No more than 6500 years.
Question 2 God did write the bible, through man via the holy spirit.

and yes i believe it !!!

Like i said beats the humanist version of events, sounds less silly too.

Rock Soup or Dust formed by the breath of God. im going to go with the latter...

106AmericanApex(13 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Franc Ive just one thing to say my friend.
Context Context Context

I Never said

What i did say was

"For most in this country" Christianity began when Luther Nailed his 95 theses to the church doors in Wittenberg and we fled here so we could pray and worship as we choose.

Taking my words out of context amounts to lieing. lets keep it honest huh.

I stand by my statement but with no disrespect to catholics Just as homosexuality is a sin in the eyes of God, so are fornicators, ,IDOLATORS, adulterers, thieves, covetous persons, drunkards, revilers and extortioners. (I Corinthians 6:9; 10).

Yeshua said to him, “I AM THE LIVING GOD, The Way and The Truth and The Life; no man comes to my Father but by me alone.” John 14 from the Aramaic Bible in Plain English

When you take what people say out of context in order to make them look as though they are in the wrong or in order to cause strife between people that is being agent provocateur...

Christ is the only way !!!

Good works are just that good works, they will not get you to heaven no matter how many saints you bow down to. We are compelled to do good works by the belief in Christ however only the belief in Jesus Christ will secure your path through the narrow gate.

Everything else you said is pretty much right on and i agree, just try and keep it honest...

107AmericanApex(13 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

HellaBS
I dont know what to say, I am amazed. Your stupidity is Epic, I dont think I have ever met someone who knows so little about so much, LOL

I didnt blame anything on the Jews God condemned them for their actions not man if you had read the book you would have known that !!!

What does the vatican have to do with me or any other Reformation Christian? Im not sure how to tell you this but you are an idiot HellaBS. Please research the Protestant Reformation

Reformation Christians do not answer to the pope or the vatican. We answer to Christ and Christ Alone. We have no popes no priests no bishops no alterboys no cardinals and no saints.

Like i said catholics are not Christians and Christians are not catholics, We have different sets of customs our cultures are totally opposite both are Judeo Christian but that is the extent of the similarity from there they are as different as night and day.

Like i said knowing the difference is important especially if you are inclined to apply blame, in which case knowing who did what to whom is important.

1 Corinthians 3:18 Do not deceive yourselves. If any one of you thinks he is wise by the standards of this age, he should become a "fool" so that he may become wise.

108Education_Voter(816 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

American Apex:
You missed some years in there between when Luther left the Church, and pilgrims came to America for religious freedom.
Those pilgrims were not fleeing the Catholic Church. They were fleeing denominations of the Protestant Movement. When the Pilgrims of Thanksgiving fame left England, neither they or Catholics had religious freedom.
Catholicism was introduced to the English colonies with the founding of the Province of Maryland by Jesuit settlers from England in 1634 Massachusetts did not welcome Christians other than Puritans, or God forbid, Jews. Maryland was one of the few regions among the English colonies in North America that was predominantly Catholic. However Catholic settlers of course pre-dated English settlers by a hundred years in Florida, Louisiana, the southwest, and California.

However, the 1646 defeat of the Royalists in the English Civil War led to stringent laws against Catholic education and the extradition of known Jesuits from the colony, including Andrew White, and the destruction of their school at Calverton Manor. During the greater part of the Maryland colonial period, Jesuits continued to conduct Catholic schools clandestinely.

109Education_Voter(816 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Maryland was a rare example of religious toleration in a fairly intolerant age, particularly amongst other English colonies which frequently exhibited a quite militant Protestantism. The Maryland Toleration Act, issued in 1649, was one of the first laws that explicitly defined tolerance of varieties of Christianity. It has been considered a precursor to the First Amendment.

After Virginia established Anglicanism as mandatory in the colony, numerous Puritans migrated from Virginia to Maryland. The government gave them land for a settlement called Providence (now called Annapolis). In 1650, the Puritans revolted against the proprietary government and set up a new government that outlawed both Catholicism and Anglicanism. In March 1655, the 2nd Lord Baltimore sent an army under Governor William Stone to put down this revolt. Near Annapolis, his Roman Catholic army was decisively defeated by a Puritan army in what was to be known as the "Battle of the Severn". The Puritan revolt lasted until 1658, when the Calvert family regained control and re-enacted the Toleration Act.
Catholics became a minority in Maryland, but toleration remained the rule.

110cambridge(2919 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

AmericanApex....You fail the intelligence portion of both test. Next time take a little time to "pray on it" beforehand, no wait, maybe it's the sound of your own voice echoing in your head that has you so confused. Never mind.

111AmericanApex(13 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Hello EV,

I think you are a bit ahead of our conversation by a several decades we are talking about the years between October 31, 1517 and November 11, 1620 mostly during the reign of Queen Mary between (1553-1558)

The reign of Queen “Bloody” Mary was the biggest obstacle to the printing of the Bible in English. She was possessed in her quest to return England to the Roman Church and she didnt care how much protestant blood had to be spilled to accomplish her goal.

Mary went on to burn reformers at the stake by the hundreds for the "crime" of being a Protestant. During this time thousands of protestants citizens and former clergy were murdered in the name of the English Church This era was known as the Marian Exile, and the refugees fled from England with little hope of ever seeing their home family or friends again.

The Marian Exiles were English Protestants who fled to the continent during the reign of Queen Mary I They settled chiefly in Protestant countries such as the Netherlands, Switzerland and Germany, but also in France and Italy before making their way to America.

This is the period in history that started the population of the New World by religious separatists then around 1603 to 1610 we were again forced to run fleeing religious persecution from James VI and I. by 1611 the Authorized King James Version was in full printing and the King had taken a protestant as a wife and the persecutions came almost to a grinding halt in England after his death in 1625 it was all over but across the pond it was just getting started in the new world.

TBC

112AmericanApex(13 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Your opinion is duly noted cammy, not taken very seriously but noted.

You are very good at scoffing but when it comes down to debate you lack the education and understanding of history both recent and ancient to prove your points.

You should be affraid and I understand why you are. The last time you crossed swords with me you lost terribly.That must have stung.

So terribly that you and your liberal lemmings had to ban together to hush me up,the vindy deleted almost the whole thread because it upset all the clintonites on this site to be informed of the truth about their Queen and King.

Dont worry I've since learned to be kind and courteous in the process of undoing your lies and setting the record straight, i dont get booted as often but i still get under your skin and that makes the hate mail all that much more interesting... LOL

2nd Peter 3:3-7
First of all, you must understand that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires. They will say, “Where is this ‘coming’ he promised? Ever since our fathers died, everything goes on as it has since the beginning of creation.” But they deliberately forget that long ago by God’s word the heavens existed and the earth was formed out of water and by water. By these waters also the world of that time was deluged and destroyed. By the same word the present heavens and earth are reserved for fire, being kept for the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men.

113Education_Voter(816 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Give me a break, Apex.
The Pilgrims left for Massachusetts 62 years after the end of Mary's short reign.
She was succeeded by Protestant Queen Elizabeth I (45 years) and King James 1 (17 years)
This is the King James who brought scholars from far and wide to put together the translation we call the King James Bible.
That's who they parted from.
They left because THEY wanted to do the persecuting - mainly of Catholics, but other religions were equally up for attack.
The Puritans were a branch of Protestantism that were extreme zealots and fundamentalists and believed that the Church of England did not go far enough in getting rid of popish idolatry and symbols and hated Catholics to the point of insanity. They demanded that Catholics be "dealt with most severely", but England had become sick of the religious conflicts that had dominated the last 100 years with the religion of the country jumping back and forth depending on the monarchs belief and the resulting torture and death for heresy if you were caught on the wrong side. Everything had calmed down and no one wanted it to return.

The Puritans were thought of as a group of priggish, ranting, holier-than-thou pains in the neck and when many of them decided to leave for the New World because they couldn't get their own way in having Catholics killed or arrested, the country breathed a sigh of relief and James I did all he could to help them on their way.
So off they went to do the persecutions they wanted in a brand new country.

Unfortunately, 30 years later, after the English Civil War, the Puritan Oliver Cromwell became Lord Protector during England's 11 year flirt with republicanism and look what he dished out to the Catholics in Ireland, not to mention dissenters in his own country.

114Education_Voter(816 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

And that's why the U.S. was blessed with separation of Church and State until the Republican Party let a new bunch of fundamentalists dictate their platform.

115whitesabbath(738 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Off to get some more of that finger lickin chicken.

GOD BLESS CHIK-FIL-A

Still have the Jumpin Jihads going I see.

116IslandMike(676 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Mark Foley, Ted Haggard and Larry Craig are three of the holier than thou republiCONS who all enjoy that finger lickin chicken in the same men's room stall at Chic-Hates-Gays. Apparently that wasn't all they were licking.

117AmericanApex(13 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

@ EV
References:
The Marian Exiles: A Study in the Origins of Elizabethan Puritanism (Cambridge Library Collection - British and Irish History, 15th & 16th Centuries) [Paperback]

Foxe's Book Of Martyrs: An Edition for the People [Paperback]

and here are few interesting links to sites i used...

Now lets see yours !!!

118AmericanApex(13 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

@EV
There is no such thing as a "Seperation of Church and State" in fact those words do not even appear in our founding documents.

The idea was suggested by The pastor of the Danberry Baptist Church in a letter to Thomas Jefferson in which he stated "There ought to be a hedge of separation between the garden of the church and the wilderness of the world.

The idea was to protect the Church from the government not the other way around, it was to protect us from a state mandated religion to protect us from what Martin Luther protested that caused the Protestent Reformation.

The Government doesnt choose our religion we do...

The Federalist Papers...

The Anti-Federalist Papers...

119IslandMike(676 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

All three of the aforementioned spoke out against gay marriage. Typical republicon family values garbage. They're great at telling the rest of the world how to live their lives.

120zz3(877 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

This is what happens when we put up with extremism of any kind religious, etc.. Live with in the boundries or move simple as that. Don't inflict your nonsense and hateful statements to the majority of the people, just live with the road you have taken and shut up. GAY UP and move to where you'll be happy

121Education_Voter(816 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Apex,
I suggest you read any history at all outside of Calvinist propaganda. (And I mean propaganda in a good way.)
You can still read your stuff, just kind of crosscheck it with history.
So my references are the rest of historical research.