Sorry, no featured jobs currently.

Socialists feed dependency

Published: Wed, August 1, 2012 @ 12:00 a.m.

Socialists feed dependency

A July 19 column by Jill “J.R.” Labbe was headlined, “Food stamp debate brings out haters of the American poor.”

As a veterinarian, I can first assure you that we are all animals, and whether you ascribe to Maslow’s hierarchy or not, food is a basic physiological need for life. If given food, animals (including homo sapiens) do “grow dependent on handouts and will not learn how to take care of themselves.” You see, most humans have never learned how to take care of themselves in the first place, i.e. grow food, hunt, and preserve for future use. So, dependency upon a giver is rather easy and, depending upon your own comfort level in life, it may satisfy your requirements adequately.

I’m glad the column referred to the Bible (Mark 14:7). If the government wasn’t forcibly taking half of the fruit of my labors, I would undoubtedly be freely giving a 10 percent tithe to my church. It’s impossible to do both in today’s economy.

A “perfect world” will never exist, but the government would like its citizens to believe that it can someday provide that world, from cradle to grave. Like life was in the Soviet Union.

Before Social Security those who fell on hard times turned to family first, then friends and neighbors, then church. No need for any of that now; just turn to government, and the money that could have been helping is now spread through a bureaucracy with a bloated corps of administrators.

Food stamp (electronic balance transfer (EBT) card/Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) recipients can now use their indiscriminative “credit card” to purchase anything; nails, hairdo, tattoos, piercings, even remitting cash. No wonder the kids are still hungry. So our schools now provide up to three meals a day to those whose mothers already spent the food budget. And food banks open their doors to the same mothers. And, yes, churches also cook up meals for the “poor.”

And when it’s time to vote, those dependent citizens will surely vote to keep the socialists in power, ensuring more, more, more. Then, as in “Atlas Shrugged,” the people who produce finally get tired of working six months of the year to take care of public sector employees and the untold millions who live for 12:01 a.m. on the first day of the month when their EBT cards get filled again. (To witness this phenomenon, unless you have to go to work the next day, go to WalMart at midnight on the last day of the month.)

The Treasury is bankrupt. There is nowhere for our government to turn but to take more in taxes. This is what triggered our colonies to revolt against King George III. The excessive burden of increased taxation can trigger revolution yet again.

Donald K. Allen, Youngstown

Comments

1rocky14(735 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

Hey Don,let me tell you a little story.
The states that use the most Gov.programs are the Red southern states.What does that tell you?
Stick to what you know best---dogs

2jojuggie(1490 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

blah, you better reread the letter. He's talking about entitlements and how people depend on them.
It's funny, but the people who were getting unemployment compensation, for 99 weeks, 40% of them found a job in the 98th week.
When I was discharged from the military in 1947, I was a member of the 52-21 club - 21 bucks a week for 52 weeks.
After 3 weeks, I was so bored that I found a job after 3 weeks. The job paid $50/week. My friends told me I was a fool because, after my deductions, I was working for about $19 a week, but in my opinion, that was the start of a savings program and a boost to my future.

3walter_sobchak(1982 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

He who eats my bread will sing my song. This is why Barack Hussein Obama keeps playing the class warfare card.

4redeye1(4715 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

Blah We republicans know that wefare came to fruitation under Johnson. A D party member . You say that 75% do work , doing what? I 'm not against welfare , but there has to be limits put on it. There are to many people who have made it a lifestyle, not a helping hand as it was intended.

5jojuggie(1490 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

Food stamps have been in existence for a while, but they have increased exponentially under Obama. But what gets me, he actually advertised, in both english & spanish, on radio, for more people to apply for food stamps. He wants an entitlement society to be dependent on Washington. That is not the American way.
By the way, I'm an Independent. I vote for the best man. I voted for Clinton in his 2nd term. The best man this time around is not Obama.

6TylerDurden(367 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

One of the best editorial letters I have ever read on this website. Facts and logic.

Anyone who cannot see the idea or pronciple behind what the Vet is trying to say is part of the problem.

People get free money every month and are allowed to spend it on incidentals, such as more ink on their neck, and this doesn't seem like a problem to some of you?

Taxpayers can witness the fat, I phone carrying, loud, inked up bum at Wal Mart each month buying potato chips and chilli fritos and know that the taxpayer has to get up early in the morning to pay for themself and the bums, while the bum wakes up without a care in the world. Ludicrous.

7ojanet22(134 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

Same old drivel by the same old Y-town burnouts who have no lives except to respond to stupid letters by stupid people. Puke City.

8jojuggie(1490 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

oj, that was about the nastiest post I have ever seen on this message board.
You have no idea, of the background, of the individuals posting here. This board is for discussion & debate. Some posts are not always to my liking, but I do feel there is a certain amount of respect by many posters. Not all.