Gay student sues Ohio school district over T-shirt

Published: Tue, April 3, 2012 @ 3:30 p.m.

CINCINNATI (AP) — A federal lawsuit has been filed in Cincinnati on behalf of a gay student who says his high school is violating his freedom of expression rights by prohibiting him from wearing a T-shirt urging tolerance of gay students.

Maverick Couch’s mother filed the lawsuit Tuesday against Wayne Local School District and its high school principal.

The lawsuit says Couch, a junior, was threatened with suspension if he wears the shirt bearing the message “Jesus Is Not a Homophobe.” The lawsuit says school officials told him the shirt is sexual in nature and inappropriate at school.

The lawsuit asks that school officials be ordered to allow Couch to wear the shirt. It also seeks unspecified damages.

Superintendent Patrick Dubbs says he has not seen the lawsuit and cannot comment.

Comments

1redeye1(4563 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Good for the school district, I'm getting tired of the gays telling us what they can do and if they don't get their way they sue. If you are gay keep it to yourself and problem solved.

2300(561 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

I believe that marriage should not be allowed between Conservatives. Since recent voting polls showed that Conservatives are strongest among those with only a high school education, I don't believe that they are intelligent enough to be allowed to be married.

I'm getting tired of the Conservatives telling us what they can do and if they don't get their way they sue. If you are Conservative keep it to yourself and problem solved.

3Ytownnative(1048 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Here is what I dont understand
They had a commercial with wanda sykes (i think) saying dont use the phrase "that's so gay" because its offensive. A few months later there is a lawsuit because a gay couple iwas told not to wear the shirt saying "marriage thats so gay" I guess they want it anyway they decide at the time and sue whoever gets in the way.

4redeye1(4563 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

300 pennies I agree with with toycannon You are one of those liberal that probably has a gay lover. After all you liberals think everyone is the same. So same sex fits you guys LOL

5jeano77(1 comment)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Let's get REAL! Who actually would go to a public school wearing a t-shirt like that?! I am sorry to tell you this, but that kid was seriously ASKING to get harressed!! I honestly think the whole case scenario was well thought out and planned....NOW they are sueing the school district simply because they told him not to wear the shirt again?? They have every right to deny him the right to wear that shirt!! This is a joke!!(Oh, and by the way, I am NOT homophobic, either..I just have common sense!!)

6redeye1(4563 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

300 pennies I have one other thing to say you should be thankful for us conservatives. Because without people like us you might not have been born. Why do i say that, its easy your dad or mom might have found a gay lover and you wouldn't exist. So you should thank us for being able to be born. After all we supposely kept them in their closets

7JoeFromHubbard(1069 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Great idea, toycannon, leave the lawyers out of the deal and let him get a real world education.

8Ytownnative(1048 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

well if he can wear that shirt can another kid wear a shirt that says jesus hates gays? or does freedom of expression only work one way ?

9sawtry4fr(2 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Just another example of the need for uniforms in school. No distractions, no competition to be 'cool', 'hot', or 'trendy'

10300(561 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

I'm not gay. I'm married with kids. I'm just completely secure in my sexuality.

Bravo Redeye, you're now parroting the Southerner. Originality is surely not your strong point.

Speaking of which, I guess I am calling you Shirley. But considering your previous posts, I'm sure when no one's around, you might have already called yourself that. It's the only explanation for why someone else's sexuality would affect you.