Brawl in Boardman Park attracts 100

Published: Tue, April 3, 2012 @ 12:05 a.m.

Police chief expects several arrests from videotaped fight that included loaded gun

photo

Nichols

By Ashley Luthern

aluthern@vindy.com

BOARDMAN

Township police officers are investigating a fight involving about 100 people — including at least one who was armed — behind The Shops at Boardman Park.

Chief Jack Nichols said police were called to the area Saturday evening, and police later found that a video of the fight was uploaded to YouTube. In the video, several people fight as the crowd encircles them, reminiscent of passages from Chuck Palahniuk’s novel SDLqFight Club.” One man appeared to be refereeing it and threatening to shoot anyone who interfered. “He dropped the gun in the middle of the fight,” Nichols said.

When police arrived, the crowd ran into the surrounding neighborhoods. Officers recovered evidence, including a loaded gun in a stream. Nichols said so far, police have not heard of any serious injuries resulting from the fight.

He also said he expects several arrests to result from the incident especially because there’s video of it.

“If you look at the tape, there’s at least one adult or more. The man refereeing it, he was in his 30s maybe. We’ll see if we can get enough evidence to identify them and then the fighters themselves. We’ll make as many arrests as we can,” he said.

The chief said this isn’t the first time a large fight has occurred near the shopping complex and park.

“It seems like an ongoing thing, maybe happening once a month,” he said.

The idea of fighting on a regular basis isn’t new; it was popularized in the 1996 novel “Fight Club” and the subsequent film adaptation. In the novel, the main character organizes clandestine bare-knuckle fighting matches as a form of therapy and creates rules for the fights, the first being: “You don’t talk about fight club.”

Boardman Park’s Executive Director Daniel N. Slagle, Jr. credited a park caretaker for spotting the fight on park property behind Target about 6 p.m. Saturday and calling police before anyone was seriously hurt.

“Over the years, there have been some issues with kids congregating but to the extent of what this one was, it was the first time ever,” Slagle said.

The park closes at dusk except for those who have reserved a building or pavilion, and guns are not permitted on park property unless an individual is properly licensed with a concealed-carry permit.

“Even though we like to call ourselves ‘The Green Oasis,’ we can’t become an oasis. We’re subject to the same things as other places, but we’re on top of it,” Slagle said.

Slagle said his employees are going to check remote areas of the park more frequently and township police are increasing patrols.

Comments

1foxyglo(372 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

WHATS UP WITH THE VIOLENCE BOARDMAN

2Freeatlast(1991 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

FOX@
It has been here for YEARS . But to many people out here have stuck their heads in the sand . And belive we live in a safe little community . We have become the new Ytown. GET a CCW

3just4me(11 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

I agree with Freeatlast- It has been going on for years. My kids are 17 and 19 and they have said these massive fights have been happening in Boardman Park for at least 4-5 years now. And yes, alot of them happen after dark!

4YtownSports(226 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

I hope parents involved don't stand by their little sweethearts. These kids need a dose of reality...some "tough love." Any adults involved should be ashamed of themselves and be prosecuted to the fullest extent the law will allow. We are too far along the path of becoming a self-indulgent, disrespectful society. The inmates are beginning to run the asylum.

5Freeatlast(1991 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

Remember this the next time a police levy comes up . We need more police

6commoncitizen(961 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

Free, you are right, better get a CCW permit and be prepared to use it (weapon) if needed.
If any parent sees his kid on the video he should be the first to take him to the BPD. (But then " my little Johnny" wouldn't do that, is what they would say)

7fcb(320 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

If these young people think they are so tough and that they want to fight all the time I know a few uniforms(Marines,Navy,Army) that they can put on and get all the fighting they want! Let's see how tough they really are then.I doubt that any of them could measure up to a real fighting man or woman.

8DwightK(1250 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

In Fight Club, the author examines life as a young man with no purpose. He has no event defining his life like the Depression or WWII. He recognizes that an entire generation of men were raised by single moms while fathers went around the country setting up family franchises. It was a great book.

These idiots are living through the 9/11 attacks, the Great Recession and a country that has been at war for a decade. If fighting in the park is something they do to define themselves and give themselves purpose then their parents need to make them volunteer to help disabled vets, homeless people or at the food bank. It's ridiculous to see this going on when there are better things to put their energy into.

9kensgirl(588 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

We need to bring back the paddle and belt - AND the nuns! Today teachers aren't allowed to even point a finger at the little darlings. The only thing we can do is let them "vent". I'll give you vent - right on the end of a switch! You can vent your yelps.

10topsailwatch(64 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

We also need a park supt. that will get up off of his lazy duff and put in some stringent measures to keep the park safe. Boardman Park will soon be like Mill Creek park. People are afraid to go there because of the incidents that occur.I remember years ago I felt safe in Boardman Park, but no more. It's a shme that Slagle is letting it go down hill !!

11Attis(873 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

A lost generation that gets its kicks by hosting flash mobs in malls and bare-knuckle fist fights in the woods in a desperate effort to bring some form of life into their dead world of virtual reality, nonstop video games/texting/, immorality and stupidity. Failure to nurture a garden results in weeds, and these mobs have just brought the jungle of their dead souls into our backyards. This is America's future?!

12reallytired(84 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

I have noticed that bmanresident hasn't commented on this article yet!! sure was vocal on the Struthers article a few days ago though,

13Freeatlast(1991 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

Topsail @Boardman Park will soon be like Mill Creek park IT IS NOW

Longrod@
Columbiana is as bad as Boradman
They just ware coveralls
They have more drugs there than BHS

14Freeatlast(1991 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

Remember we have 100+ armed kids and adults running through the neighborhoods . Does this make us a HOOD ??????

15hujo_daddy(1 comment)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

WOW...much more thoughtful comments than the Akron Beacon Journal's/ Ohio.com clientelle. Hope you folks work it out and show the youngsters the value of discipline. Akron being called Crackron is disturbing to say the least. We live in one of your possible futures! Be well.

16Freeatlast(1991 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

hujo@
We are call Drugman
But thank you for the heads up
If we can only get some people to take their head of the the sand
But we are not as bad as Poland our next door neighbor

17just4me(11 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

My son is out of high school now, but he use to say that BHS kids used to put out messages about fights in the park.

18janitspace(94 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

Make a difference in the life of a child. Be a part of the solution.
People are saying sell your house, but where are you going to go? Is that the solution....to run away?

19gdog4766(1462 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

BPD will conduct an investigation up to the point where an officer points at the screen and says "That kid goes to MOONEY"

20rumppy(107 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

well,well,well it is really something when negative things happen where Europeans live. Oh my what rederick is used. So much thought put to it. Excuses. Kids are kids. They have so much drugs in Boardman it is a shame. But its nothing new. Its been like that for years. Your not living in the pen house but the outhouse is more suitable. Get a grip. The Mahoning Valley is all the same. You can run but you can't hide. when its always been right under your own nose. You just failed to except the truth. Talk blame others but never yourselves.

21Freeatlast(1991 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

You are right RUMPPY@ I have been trying for years to get the people of Boardman to see the light. But all they want to do is put down the Police , the Fireman , the Teachers . And cry about TAXES,TAXES . . Now we have what you get when you stick you head in the sand. We are not the only ones ,look at Poland, North Jackson , Columbiana
All much worst then Boardman . We did a great job of covering it up but the covering is coming off and maybe we can see the truth . I have moved two of my businesses out of Boardman because of the crime at night and my employees were to scared to work at night. You will see and hear the naysayers say no, no we are safe here . They are wrong . I sure hope this will wake some people up so we can move forward !!!!!!

22bmanresident(597 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

Great, now they are going to try to pass a levy to stop this from happening!!! And I love all the racist comments about us Europeans. I saw a couple non-whites in that youtube video.,, sigh gotta move to North Jackson now,

23reallytired(84 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

hey bmanresident,,rethinking that Struthers comment yet?? check back on the Struthers story,!!

24Lifes2Short(3875 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

YAWN!!!

fcb - kensgirl

Agree 100%

25USMC0331(150 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

I'm from Boardman and I'm building a house in Boardman. I will stay and make my stand. My children will go to Boardman and that is it. I hope there are people who agree and do the same.
This is no ones fault but the parents!! If my kid was there i'd whoop their ass when they got home! Boardman is still a "nice place to call home". Where will you do ALL of your shopping? Where will you go out to eat? Thats right.......Boardman!!! Running is not the solution! Thats what happened with Youngstown, everyone ran from the problem the disease and now its gone!

26jaydapirate(4 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

Will Jack Lowe be training those boys?

27USMC0331(150 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

If you live in Boardman why would you drive to those places? As far as Howland and Bazetta having more....not quite. The Eastwood mall is nice, as far as being convenient, for who? Not people in Columbiana, Poland, Canfield, Sruthers, Campbell and so on and so on. Downtown is nice to eat I definitely agree but there is much more in Boardman. You obviously don't live in Boardman. I will keep my money in my community to support it.

28Freeatlast(1991 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

I will keep my money in my community to support it.
Be sure you do not get mugged out at the Shops

29USMC0331(150 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

And if i do they'll be met with a nice .40 cal surprise

30USMC0331(150 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

I'd also like to know just how many people have been mugged at the shops.

31USMC0331(150 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

Lol! I'll continue to shop and do all of my business in Boardman. Like I said I'm from there and I'm building there. I don't need to drive there because I'm already there. With the money I'd spend in gas to get out to Tractor Supply (which I would never go to for any reason) that 6.75% isn't looking to bad. I guess i will agree to disagree with you. I'm partial to Boardman because i grew up there and went to school there. A little loyalty goes a long way with me. And really Bazetta? Boardman has a lot that Howland does not, theres just too much to list. Lol

32maliboo(5 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

Whoo hoo you guys are pissed about your lil Boardman getting a bad report huh?What yall thought your kids wasn't bad as hell too? Well they are, now how about that! All you people do is talk about ytown and how bad the kids are well the kids in boardman is just as bad and moving to poland or canfield isn't gonna solve your problem how bout you move to another planet trouble is everywhere on Earth! Ohio has the most predjudice people I have ever seen, truth be told the kids in canfield and poland talk to their parents like they are dogs and are very disrespectful cause thats how you guys let them do you ,I am a single mother of 3 young adults I raised in Ytown all by myself and they are all in college doing excellent and they respect their elders especially their mother ,I see these kids in Canfield,Boardman,and Poland they are so disrespectful and rude and dont have any home training but because they are in the suburbs when they get in trouble it gets swept under the rug cause they live in suburbia,who are you guys fooling nobody but yourselves.....

33DAL(90 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

No matter where you go, there is crime!! It's just that some of the suburbs hide it well. I have grown up in a suburb, where for the longest time everything was brushed under a rug and no one heard about it, cuz the suburb didn't what people to know that they were just like everyone else who has crime going on. So no matter if you live in a rich, middle class or poor neighborhood, there is crime going on, it's just that some people have the money to make sure it doesn't get out!!!

34lumper(281 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

it will stop when "someone gets their eye poked out " and no truth to the rumor kelly pavlik will be fighting next "park champ ". these park kids have way too many fights within the last 3 years for pavlik - he might fight their grandma, though. but what is the difference between these fights and the all girl streetbrawls in youngstown or the come from behind baseball bat street corner melee in warren ? guns.

35molly(15 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

these kids are struggling through a scary life right now... with all the doomsday predictions and wars they were born into or raised... what do you expect from them? they've probably numbed themselves to ANY pain or paranoia you can throw at them... how can we fix what they've become? I think it's a little too late for spanking or time-outs... GOOD LUCK! I just hope i can raise my child to have some self-worth... that's why I stay at home. I don't want to leave her side, because God knows WHO will raise her and how if I'm not there?!!

36molly(15 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

And before someone makes this into something i didn't say, I am making a sweeping generalization of people no matter who they are or where they're from... I just hope we figure out how to live with one another before it's too late for us.

37Freeatlast(1991 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

USMCO311c@ also I'd like to know just how many people have been mugged at the shops.
About 50 by last count on the police radio You may have not heard it in the papers or radio as per the cover up
Get your head out of the sand
And help us out .

38bmanresident(597 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

Of all those people who are doing the mugging, I wonder how many of those are from Struthers! After all, they walk around with their pants sagging.

39reallytired(84 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

do you really think this is a good time to make any comments about other communities brmanresident? you might want to compare the crime rate and selling of homes before setting yourself up for a comparision..

40USMC0331(150 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

Well my head isn't in the sand. What i'll do is go down to the Boardman Police Dept and pull all reports from lets say the last.......3 years and we'll see how many people got mugged. As far as covering it up and keeping it hush hush? The Vindy along with all the local news stations go around to every surrounding police dept and look at what they call the "hook" that has all the police reports (because they are public record) on it and report it as news. So whens the last time you heard of someone getting "mugged" at the shops? You honestly think that if someone did it wouldn't be all over the news?! Lol!

41Freeatlast(1991 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

It will not be in the reports . That what a cover up is .. That what we do in Boardman .

42masbizkit99(4 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

These kids have no lives. . . how about a hobby or get involved with church or in sports. volunteer etc. . . When kids have nothing to do because of a society that is based on video games computers and violence these things happen. How about when we actually had idora park and other fun things for kids to do . . .now the kids do stupid crap like this and think its the "cool" thing

43Fivehole5040(1 comment)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

I remember recently speaking with an 8th grade teacher at Boardman Middle School, embarking on his 32nd year. I asked him what's the difference between the kids you first taught and the kids today?
"That's easy....today's kids all come from broken families", he replied.

44masbizkit99(4 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

People want to blame the kids but in my opinion its the parents. As a parent its your responsibility to be proactive instead of reactive. With all the sue happy people you cant even discipline your kids without some idiot neighbor wanting to get involved. These kids need involvement from parents in their lives to have them do positive things in the community instead of hanging around causing trouble. The parents should be fined. . . punish them and the kids will think twice about causing trouble

45LadyMadonna(32 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

any arrests yet?

46supermom(3 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

This is truly about parenting. I have a child at BHS, three who graduated from BHS and am a single parent. I never had on rose colored glasses where my kids were concerned. I am a realist in every sense of the word and I know and accept that my children can make poor decisions just like anyone elses. What I did do was work my butt off making sure my kids stayed in school and out of trouble....but if trouble arose, I dealt with it. That's what the parents of these kids should do with them now. Too many parents are going soft. Step it up! Keep them out of trouble by having them volunteer in exchange for their allowance or privileges...occupies their time and for a good cause....instead of allowing time for something as ridiculous as this.

47wholistens(1 comment)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

I go to Mill Creek Park and Boardman park with my dog at least once a week and hike in the woods. I have never felt afraid. Usually there is no one there. So, kids are meeting to watch fights in the park. What alternatives could we offer? Most part time jobs require that you are 18. Why? Kids aren't stupid. They can do most jobs when they are 12 but we won't let them. I am unaware of any other activity specifically for high schoolers other than a football game, going to the movies or the occasional dance.

The comments above about getting mugged at the shops are ridiculous. Boardman is a nice place to call home. Why be afraid and run away of the perceived "bad element". Stand your ground and believe in the good. If you believe there is good in people then maybe you'll see that. If you automatically assume that a certain type of person is bad then your perception will probably be fufilled. Negative comments serve no purpose. Try something constructive.