Yes, it was another small earthquake!

Published: Thu, September 29, 2011 @ 9:33 p.m.

Residents of Youngstown’s North and West sides reported feeling a tremor shortly after 9 tonight, and the Ohio Department of Natural Resources confirmed it was a small earthquake. Other tremors shook the Valley in August and March. This is a developing story.

Comments

1downforce(8 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

On S. Schenley thought a car hit a house very nearby. A real jolt.
I to went outside to see what happened. Strange.

2CCmom(31 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

We felt it on the Southside. Couple of blocks from Midlothian and South Ave.
The dog jumped up and looked around wondering what was up.

3CongressWatcher(201 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

can anyone say "fracking"?

4jilljenny(1 comment)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

We live not far from Champ field on Raccoon Road. Shortly after 9:00 P.M. tonight the whole house shook. Thought something heavy fell upstairs, both my husband and I searched upstairs and outside. It sure did sound like an explosion. This is the second time in a week plus I have heard and felt something like this. Amazingly strange.

5VINDYAK(1800 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

When my house shook, I thought the washing machine was going thru its wild gyrations again. Then I realized it was not even on and the dogs never bark when it does that. This time they were barking and wanted to go outside.

I did think about fracking, but they haven't begun any of that around here yet.

6happyj25(6 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

On Wesley Ave., on the westside it sounded like an explosion, or something huge hit our house.I was worried that another house exploded.

7ytowhoh330(89 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

I felt it here on the southside too. My question is, what was that popping sound? Does anybody know?

8NilesOhio(818 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

CongressWatcher and madison2011 - I thought the same thing. It's just a matter of time, I'm afraid.

9howardinyoungstown(591 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

It is not uncommon for earthquakes to make noise, it just depends on how close the bedrock is to the surface. Those of us on the West side and North side that heard the noise are on hills, those in downtown that didn't hear anything are on many layers of river silt (which absorbs the noise and for small quakes the vibrations as well).

© 2015 Vindy.com. All rights reserved. A service of The Vindicator.