Mahoning lags rest of the nation in wage increases

Published: Thu, September 29, 2011 @ 11:21 a.m.

Mahoning lags rest of the nation in wage increases

Mahoning County lags behind the rest of the nation this year when it comes to wage increases.

Workers in Mahoning earned an average of $632 per week during the first quarter of 2011, 4.6 percent more than they made during 2010’s first quarter.

The 4.6 percent increase ranked 116th among the nation’s 322 largest counties, in line with the state average, which had the same percentage increase, though statewide workers pay averaged $819 per week.

Both trail the national average of 5.2 percent and $935 per week.

Read the complete story in Friday’s Vindicator and at Vindy.com.

Comments

1piak(508 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

All public employee labor contracts have to be predicated on the population and it's ability to pay the necessary taxes.

Why? Because it comes from the working population. If there is a loss of population, that is, Ytown was about 165,000 in 1950, now it's about 85,000, maybe a tad less and workers in the Valley are not as highly paid as elsewhere, then the working population is going to be upset at the really nice retirements that the public segment gets.

More importantly, taxpayers won't be able to pay those taxes. Does anyone out there understand this? If we don't make a high wage , we can't pay it-at least not without hardship in our own cases.

This affects all people, including the non-public union members. The economic data appears to show that most non-public union members are NOT rolling in dough. They have their own retirements to save up for.

2pac1234(21 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Another thing Mahoning County lags in.....what is left to be the bottom of the list on.

3gobrowns(18 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

to dodge 2002: I am a teacher in a local district. I love my job, am aware that in today's economy that I am lucky to have one, and realize that even with the increases to my health care, I still pay WAY less than others. However I am in opposition to SB5 for many reasons.
First, obviously financial. If SB5 passes, it will get rid of educational raises (which are required to renew teacher's licenses, & not reimbursed), increase health care another 5%, and get rid of step salary increases. Let me tell you about the "raises" in the eight years I have been teaching. Total of 4% roughly 1000 over 8 years, or a whopping $125 per year BEFORE taxes. In addition, I have seen my health benefits go from 0% to 10%. Simply put, if it weren't for my master's degree (10k) out of pocket, and step salary increases, I would be making LESS money in year eight than year one. What private sector area would this apply to? NOT MANY.
Next, I am opposed to SB5 due to merit based pay, tied to a state standardized test. I have taught many students with special needs, and if they don't receive a passing score, then I am a bad teacher according to the state. Meanwhile, a teacher with honors classes, is a great teacher, because the students pass the test.
Finally, I am opposed to SB5 due to the lack of being able to bargain about working conditions (Class sizes) As the state & fed continue to cut $ to education, class sizes have swollen. This has a negative impact on education, due to the lack of one on one attention that students can receive. There is simply not enough time!
Believe it or not, I am a conservative (One of the admittedly few in education!) I agree that deep cuts, tough decisions, and sacrifices need to be made. I believe that I have already made mine. I am not asking for a raise, simply to stay where I am at. (as most of my colleagues would agree to)
I find it ironic, that the most of the public slams our educational system, but it's the 1st thing that is cut when money needs to be saved. Have schools spent unwisely in the past? Are their teachers who are overpaid for the effort that they put into their craft? Is there an need for increased accountability? Has the taxpayer been unfairly asked to shoulder too much of the burden? The answer to all of the above is YES.
In my opinion, two areas that should NEVER EVER be cut are military & education.

(I know that your post had nothing to do with teachers specifically, but I can not give my opinion on SB5 without the reasoning behind it.

4VINDYAK(1799 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

gobrowns...I wish I could say I feel sorry for your plight, but no one offered any sorrow to those who lost jobs and suffered under dwindling household incomes and months without work and paying hundreds of dollars out-of-pocket every month for health care insurance until their money ran out.

Those who collected unemployment were chastised for taking "government welfare" and employers looked at them as if they were a cancer, to be avoided at all costs. When unemployment checks ran out, many people had to take what ever jobs came along...minimum wages $7.35 an hour with no benefits. These poor folks are still out there, struggling to keep their home, pay their bills and feed their family. The lucky ones find a second job.

I have one relative who has 3 part-time, minimum wage jobs now. He has a college degree and once earned 6 figure income in sales. He is nearing 60 and no one will hire him, despite government rules against it. He is struggling to 62 so he can take early retirement. His wife lost her job 2 years ago and now works in retail, earning minimum wages but does have health care benefits which she pays into.

I have a sister in Florida who lost her job in 2009 and was unemployed until early this year. She now works a swing shift at a call-in center and can barely make ends meet. We worry about her a lot and have helped when we could.

These are just 2 examples of life in America for some near to me, but similar to many people all across America. I don't want to hear someone complain about their compensation during today's economic situation, because right now they are the lucky ones. Wait until they get laid off. This will happen if people vote no and SB5 is defeated.

5gobrowns(18 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

VindyYak, Like I said in the beginning, I am thankful and lucky to have a job, and to this point haven't yet experienced such a drastic change in lifestyle. I hear ya, and feel for your relatives, and it is not right. The people that caused and continue this economic downturn fell into S**t and came up smelling rosy. The point of my post, was to show that concessions have already been made. I simply want the TRUE facts to get out about SB5. It will save a whopping 400 million out of the 8 billion deficit that we are facing. I see SB5 as middle class cops, teachers, nurses, and firemen having to pay for greedy politicians bad mistakes. I have no problem supporting people that need help (the stories that you shared above). The problem that I have, is that when I go to the grocery store, see someone with a SNAP card, and pull out 5 crisp 100 bills to pay for the goods not covered by SNAP.
Sorry if the tone came across as complaining, was just trying to make a point.

6ghostofjohnyoung(163 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

These are bogus numbers.

$632 x 52 weeks = $32,864 year

According to citydata.com, as of 2009 Ytown's median HOUSEHOLD income was:
$25,175

A household is typically 2+ people. Meaning, often dual working adults.

So, clearly there is no way in hell or Youngstown that the average worker is making $632 a week. If so, we would see median HOUSEHOLD income in the $50k+ area.

If you distill this bogus $632 a week down based on 40 hour work week you are looking at $15.80 an hour.

$15.80 an hour is fairly high. Considering most jobs are service industry and pay at or near minimum wage, there is no way this number is correct either.

Where did these cooked numbers come from?