City council to honor 3 who saved man during attack

Published: Wed, September 21, 2011 @ 12:00 a.m.

photo

Thomas Dailey, 67, a Canfield High School teacher, poses with Becky Shelton, one of three McDonald’s employees who helped prevent more of an attack on Dailey by a 20-year-old man last year at the fast-food restaurant on Youngstown’s West Side. Shelton and the other workers will be honored at tonight’s Youngstown City Council meeting.

By Christine Keeling

ckeeling@vindy.com

Youngstown

What started out as a “lovely” day for Thomas Dailey quickly turned into a life-changing experience.

The 67-year-old Canfield High School teacher was viciously attacked Oct. 9, 2010, outside a Youngstown fast-food restaurant’s drive-through window.

Three people credited with saving his life will be recognized today during city council’s meeting at 5:30 p.m. on the sixth floor of City Hall.

“This is a unique story,” said Councilman Mike Ray, D-4th. “We like to recognize people who do things out of the ordinary.”

Dailey was driving to a Youngstown State University football game that Saturday. He decided to grab something to eat at the West Side McDonald’s restaurant on Mahoning Avenue.

A car, driven by Samuel Crayton, 20, inched away from the drive-through window. Dailey, who was behind, idled his car forward.

“He slammed on his brakes,” Dailey said. “I hit him.”

Dailey said he jumped out of his car to see if any damage had been done. Crayton was cursing. When Dailey went to speak, relieved that neither car had a dent, Crayton’s fist slammed into his face.

“I didn’t even know what happened,” Dailey said.

That’s when McDonald’s employees Becky Shelton, Erica Freet and Meleina Valev jumped into action.

“I ran outside and jumped in front of the car,” said Shelton, 39, of Youngstown. “‘You’re gonna have to run me over,’ I said to [Crayton].”

Freet was trying to climb out the drive-through window to help and then grabbed the keys from the ignition. They didn’t want Crayton to leave before police arrived.

“It looked like a murder scene,” Shelton said. “There was blood everywhere.”

Dailey suffered a broken nose and severed artery and lost two pints of blood. Police recovered a pair of brass knuckles from the passenger’s seat of the attacker’s car.

“What’s wrong with you? You hit an old man!” Dailey remembers one employee yelling.

“I’m not old,” Dailey responded from under a towel.

Shelton said the West Side is her community and that she was angered by the attack.

“True enough, we could have been selfish about ourselves, but that wasn’t our mission,” she said. “We felt like that could have been our dad.”

She said no one ever knows what kind of impact people they meet might have in another’s life.

Without their actions, Dailey said he knows he would be in a grave today.

Dailey lost an additional four pints of blood a week after the attack, underwent more than two hours of surgery to stop internal bleeding and missed two months of work. He said he now suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder.

The experience, he said, made him realize that people need to get involved when they see a crime.

Dailey received a letter, with the typewritten name of Crayton’s mother, expressing remorse for her son’s action but no explanation as to why he did it.

Crayton said to police, “We all do stupid stuff sometimes.”

Crayton pleaded guilty to felonious assault and was sentenced to four years in prison in January. A petition for his early release is pending in Mahoning County Common Pleas Court.

Comments

1Stan(9923 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

These hoodrats have no respect for life and the prosecutors have a ho hum attitude . We are still waiting for Jamar Houser to be brought to trial and in January of 2012 it will have been two years since Angeline Fimognari was killed .

2NilesOhio(707 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

flamingbetras - I hope you're not serious.

Sounds like this punk had a new toy (brass knuckles) and was just looking for an opportunity to use them. I'm glad it didn't turn out worse than it did.

3northsideart(111 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

The women are heroes. The perp is a cowardly little b!tch. Having his karma would be worse than having cancer and AIDS. Have a nice life, jagoff.

4DwightK(1250 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

What a loser. Seriously, who gets into a fight over a fender bender?

5redvert(2056 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

flamer!!! kind of says it all doesn't it?

"you probally don't except ebonics as legit either"

You best stick with ebonics flamer, you have shown that you do not know how to use the English language!

6jetercp(67 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

67 years old and still teaching, explains why our education is hurting. maybe he should retire and we can get some fresh new teachers full of ideas in the career...

7Stan(9923 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

DwightK :

"What a loser. Seriously, who gets into a fight over a fender bender?"

The old man had dared to provoke him when he hit the hoodrats car . In the hood a fight will ensue for just being on their turf . When that happens brass knuckles are not their primary option .

A cool hoodrat . . ..

8joebag09(250 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

It shouldn't have taken almost a year to honor these folks!

9uetz(38 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

whats with everyone using sarcasm to get a point across - every time theres an incident with a young black kid, 5 people post 'he is a victim, we should respect "da hood culture" and honor him'
har har ... getting old

10msweetwood(161 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Thethinker:

Reporter Christine Keeling responds:

"Crayton pleaded guilty to one count of felonious assault Nov. 22, 2010. He was then involved in an accident in West Virginia on or about Jan. 5, 2011, which caused his bond to be revoked. He was held in Mahoning County jail until a Jan. 21, 2011 sentencing hearing in Judge Krichbaum’s court, where Tom Dailey read a victim impact statement. Crayton was sentenced to four years in prison, which he is serving at Lake Erie Correctional Center. He became eligible for early release after serving six months. According to the court’s clerk, Clayton’s early release petition is not visible on Court Veiw, because the court is awaiting the prosecutor’s response. Although, a petition to release Crayton’s prison records can be veiwed by the public."

The case information can be found at http://courts.mahoningcountyoh.gov/pa...

Mark Sweetwood
Managing Editor

11vinglass(227 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

12vinglass(227 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Jetercp...Tom may be 67 yrs young, but he is an excellent teacher and a fine person. I would rather have him teaching my kids than some newbie fresh out of school.

13nicolemarie112510(5 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

What's the matter guys? Don't want the truth out? DAILY PUSHED HIM FIRST AND NO BRASS KNUCKLES WERE USED!

14nicolemarie112510(5 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

*were NOT used sorry for the spell check!

15steelhead(124 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Nicolemarie-I was just about to comment on your post befor it disappeared. Are you the Nicole that was in the car? If so, did you testify to what you saw?

16nicolemarie112510(5 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

My husband and I were in the car behind daily, we seen it all. Dailey was no angel.

17vinglass(227 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Wasn't Sam Clayton's girlfriend at the time named Nicole?

18RickCrayton6(4 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Sam hit the guy once after he was pushed and stopped on his own will. He is not a violent person just a man who lost his temper after being provoked. Also he did not use the brass knuckles. All those SO CALLED "HEROES" did was stop him from leaving. That mans life was saved by sam realizing what he did and stopping on his own will.

19walter_sobchak(1891 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

I knew we would get the full story to come out. Sam is the hero! He was merely protecting his property rights when this rogue senior turns ghetto on this young adult Clayton. I guess they locked the wrong guy up. I hope Sam can get his early release from the hoosegow. I'm having some difficulties with my sister and I'm looking for someone to put her in her place!

20DwightK(1250 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

That was one too many times. If a 67 year old man pushes you, you back off and call the police. I'm gonna guess that a 20 year old man can move fast enough to dodge a 67 year old if push comes to shove. But if that 20 year old man makes a habit of driving around with brass knuckles on the front seat, one may assume that man lives a life where a fight is only an angry word away.

21steelhead(124 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Nicolemarie-Did you testify in court as to what you saw?
Rick-Really? He is a violent person, he punched an old man in the face, even if he is a d**k. And possessing brass knuckles shows a propensity towards violence. When you go to visit Sam in prison, tell him all we said thanks for being such a nice guy.

22piak(508 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

@walter_sobchak:

Absolutely priceless!

I guess whether white/black, you don't mess with the yoots of this area.

23RickCrayton6(4 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

I'm not saying sam was the heroe by any means. I'm just saying people need to get the facts strait before they go slandering my brothers name and realize if he wanted to cause further injury he would have and a few mcdonalds employees would not have gotten in his way, But he i s a good man and stopped himself.

24vinglass(227 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

"That mans life was saved by sam realizing what he did and stopping on his own will." Oh, now I get it...Sam saved the senior's life by NOT BEATING HIM TO DEATH!!! Someone who drives around with brass knuckles on the front seat is looking for a fight...

25steelhead(124 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Rick- What was he doing with brass knuckles? He was looking for a fight, period. A few McDonald's employees did get in his way and blocked his escape. Maybe your brother is a good man, but that day he was an ignorant thug.
Nicolemarie-DID YOU TESTIFY? Did you tell the police what you saw? If not, then you are as bad as the hoodrats who "Dint see nuffin."

26DwightK(1250 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Thank goodness Sam the hero stopped himself before he caused further injury. Maybe he should get a medal from the city council.

Respecting your elders means you don't hit them.

27RickCrayton6(4 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

The brass knuckles were given to him by me and he hadn't taken them out of the car yet and I'm not trying to say he wasn't wrong I just want people to know the facts before they go judging him.

28RickCrayton6(4 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

I'M NOT SAYING HE WASN'T WRONG I JUST MAKE THINGS CLEAR OF WHAT HAPPEND AND ILL REMEMBER THAT. WHEN I'M 67 YEARS OLD THAT I CAN GO AROUND PUSHING PEOPLE AND CAN GET BY WITH IT. I DO FIRMLY BELIEVE THAT HE SHOULD HAVE JUST WALKED AWAY AND HIS ACTIONS WERE WRONG BUT I'M POINTING OUT BAILEY WASN'T COMPLETELY INNOCENT AND SAYING THEY SAVED HIS LIFE IS INSINUATING HIS LIFE WAS IN DANGER WHICH IT WASN'T. THERE'S TWO SIDES TO THI STORY.

29walter_sobchak(1891 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

RickCrayton6

Please...STOP! Putting the facts out there only makes your brother look like a thug! Here's how I see this happening:

Sam Clayton received his Big Mac Value Meal form the drive-thru attendant. As he was pulling out, he looked in the bag to find that it was not correct and he slammed on his brakes to stay close to window. Thomas Dailey started to pull up, thinking it was his turn, and he bumped into the rear of Sam's car. Now, Sam is pissed b/c he got the wrong order and some old dude hit his car and he is angry. When both get out, being a 20 year old punk in America, he starts being profane with Dailey, mostly b/c he can since he is a gray-haired, oplder gentleman. Dailey takes exception to his language and pushes Sam, who probably pushes him back and then, with a clenched fist using the musuclar structure of a 20 year old man, punches the face of the 67 year old man. Upon Dailey hitting the ground, he bled profusely, losing 2 pints of blood. Sam probably didn't have time to punch him a second time before Dailey's head bounced like a melon on the pavement.

Now, am I wrong in my "perceived" version or do they normally incarcerate a "misunderstood" person for four years? I mean, I see the picture of Thomas Dailey above and I'm not going to confuse him with someone from MMA!

30northsideart(111 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Wow. What an awesome brother. All I get from my brother is a stinkin' birthday card every year while this Sam dude's brother gives him brass knuckles. Some guys are so lucky!

31steelhead(124 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Rick, Rick, Rick, stop yelling. So the brass knuckles were yours, huh? Did you tell the cops that or did you just let your brother take the rap? Maybe if Nicolemarie had told the cops what she saw and you told the cops the knuckles were yours, your brother would not be in prison. Instead, good upstanding people involved themselves, where others (you included) were cowards. His life was absolutely in danger. I have worked on many people over the years who have been killed by one punch, especially the elderly.

32VindyPost(436 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Congrats to the 3 women whom had a watchful eye. They were vigilant and no form of violence shall be permitted. Period. A 20 year old is not a "good man" by punching a 67 year old in the face! A 20 year old is not a "good man" for punching anyone in the face! Brass knuckles are in Crayton's possession for WHAT? Perhaps needed in a fight when he gets disgruntled? "Anger Management" is key here. Let's just permit assault and battery? Road rage and parking lot rage happens--- but striking an individual? ---one will pay the price. Fender bender?...call police and if needed, file report and insurance claim. That's what we've learned and been taught regarding how to abide the laws while behind the wheel if an accident occurs. Nobody slugs another and if you do expect charges to be filed.

RickCrayton says: "if he wanted to cause further injury he would have and a few mcdonalds employees would not have gotten in his way, But he i s a good man and stopped himself."

RE: HE BROKE MR. DAILEY'S NOSE and SEVERED ARTERY! idiot! (further injury?)

RE: Sobchak, Sam is evidently NOT a hero in this case, re-read the article and comprehend. twisted.

Even Crayton's mother is saddened and expressed remorse. I believe she "knows" her son very well. ?!

+I hope and pray Mr. Dailey fully recovers from such trauma.+

33strangelove(22 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Man, I don't know about you guys but one look at this Dailey fella and I see "bad news" written all over him.

I mean be honest now, if this guy gets out of a car and approaches you, you're thinking hell is about to pay you a visit. Fender bender? Yeah I'm on to your tricks bucko . . . I see how you roll!

Our society clearly is not safe with a man like Dailey roaming the streets . . .

Crayton? Four years ain't long enough . . . I hope you drop the soap on more than one occasion.

34walter_sobchak(1891 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

VindyPost,
W...TF! You really can't be serious? Have you no sense of sarcasm and hyperbole? Did you read my 2nd post? GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR ARSE!

35Stan(9923 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

vinglass :

"Sorry to disappoint some of you, but the kid was not black. Just your run of the mill white punk...."

Now where did I say what his color was ? There is no color barrier to being a "HOODRAT" !

A cool hoodrat . . ..

36steelhead(124 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Rick?...Nicolemarie?...Ahh, silent. See that's the difference, heroes step up to the plate in times of adversity. Cowards stand silent and let someone else take the rap. And where is Nicolemarie's husband who was in the car with her? Wow. I personally could not, would not, and have not stood by silent while someone was falsley accused or taking the rap for me. That tells me that you all knew what this thug did was wrong. Except for his brother, who was a chickens**t for needing brass knuckles, and an even bigger chickens**t for letting his brother go down for them. Punks.

37candystriper(575 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Slam on the brakes so the guy behind hits you...provoke him when he gets out of the car hope he hits you back so you can sue for medical...the latest way to get pain pills and $500.

38strangelove(22 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

could it be . . .

could it be sarcasm? perhaps?

39vinglass(227 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

vinglass :

Stan, my comment was not directed at you. Believe it or not , no everyone is hanging on your every posting...

40Freeatlast(1991 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

This is why we always CCW in Boardman and the south side I know it was the west side . But please CCW everywhere
Stan may be there

41vinglass(227 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

When Sam skipped out to West Virginia, wasn't it a "Nicole" ( a close "personal" friend") who spilled the beans as to his whereabouts?? Just something I heard downtown....

42mondaymoon(2 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

first off, who is saying Tom pushed this guy? I know Tom personally and he NEVER pushed the kid. Crayton just decided to start punching Tom after Tom bent over to look to see if there was any damage to the cars. Four years is NOT enough time for this crime. Tom will still be suffering after this criminal gets out of jail.

43captaincheese(43 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Regardless of race there are people in the inner city who are just no damn good.
Hats off to those young people who could have closed the window and let the attack go on. They got involved. which is what everyone should be doing to rid the country of the Last vestiges of violent crime.

44Lifes2Short(3875 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Hopefully this IDIOT gets his A@# whipped in prison, because if he has a attitude with a 67 year old (not old) and beating him up, love to see how he deals with the young guns in prison.
This is the problem with the youth of America, totally out of control and no RESPECT for anyone. And then everyone cries when their six feet under. Eventually if they want to be some wanna be gangsta, then you deal with the consequences.
And don't give me that BS he's such a great dude....he put a 67 year old man in the hospital, real great guy. SMH. Such a useless DNA animal.

45Stan(9923 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

could_it_be :

"stan, your never-ending sarcasm is misplaced here. there is nothing "cool" about being a hoodrat. but the quick action of the three employees was cool. "

CLICK THE LINK AND YOU WILL SEE A COOL HOODRAT !

Could it be that you are a little slow ?

46nicolemarie112510(5 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

No I am not The Nicole from the car. I was on my way to work to my new job and my husband and I stopped for coffee. I deeply feel sorry for the victim but he did intact provoke the fight. I couldn't stay because it was my first day on the job and I couldn't risk getting fired. Crayton was wrong for punching him and he is doing his time for his crime. Give The kid a break I mean I'm sure he is remorseful for what he did.

47Stan(9923 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Only when he has paid all of the victims medical bills should he get any break . ..

48steelhead(124 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Wow Nicole, see there, if only you would have acted, this kid might not be in jail. Maybe YOU should have given the kid a break and called the police and let them know what you witnessed. Four years is a long time to go to jail for defending yourself when all someone had to do was speak up. That combined with his punk brother taking responsibility for the brass knuckles would probably have put Dailey in jail where he belongs, the menace to society that he is.

49thereisnospoone(1 comment)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

I knew Sam personally, we basically hung out together for several years until I got fed up with his attitude.

With that being said, he has always had a temper, and got into trouble many times in the past. This story reflects entirely upon what my perceptions of Sam are.

It's a great thing that the employees took action when they did, and Sam should subtly be grateful as well. He could have been facing a murder charge...

50Vote_Them_All_Out(13 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

This kid is a thug, who hits a 67 year old person?

Hopefully there is true karma and Sam is awoken in his cell each morning with a nice a$$ fu#@ing by his cell mate Bubba. Upon his rel;ease from prison I hope he needs one of those inflatable donuts to sit b/c his a$$ is so torn open from all of the man loveing he receives.

51youngstownralph(1 comment)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

This "kid is a typical punk thug that gets things his way or else . Tom is a fine upstanding person whom would never push or shove anyone .Tom was in the wrong place @ the wrong time and has been perminently injured just becauls this "kid " belted him for no reason.

52steelhead(124 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Nicole- are you out there? Did you call the police yet and tell them what you saw so that this young man can get out of jail?