Uninsured driver avoids citation

Published: Mon, September 19, 2011 @ 12:00 a.m.

Uninsured driver avoids citation

Not long ago I was traveling in Lordstown and was in an auto accident. I was sitting at the traffic light when I was hit from behind. The Lordstown police were called and made a report stating the other driver was at fault and I was under the impression I would be compensated for damages.

I expected the police to make sure the other driver had insurance before we both left the scene. Apparently this was not the case because when I offered to go to my car and get my insurance card, the officer said not to bother and for me to go about my business and not to worry. Weeks latter I found out through my attorney that the gentleman didn’t have insurance until the day after the accident, which means the police just took his word that he did.

I was not injured in the accident. I know lots of people who would use this incident to cash in, but that’s not who I am.

I’m still not clear on why the gentleman was not given a ticket. The only conclusion that I can come up with for my treatment in this matter is that I’m black and the man who hit me is white. I have been stopped by police before for minor infractions many times and have been asked to show proof of insurance and had my car searched.

All I want is to be compensated for damages and my only recourse now is to take the man to small claims court and spend money I don’t have. This could have been avoided if the Lordstown police had been more diligent in performing their duty.

James Rogers, Youngstown

Comments

1jrolley325(800 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

its best to bite the bullet and swallow your losses. it won't be worth the aggravation of going to court because even if you get a favorable ruling, chances of actually collecting are small.

2300(561 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

Considering that you were in Lordstown, I'd say that you're probably right.

3Doctore(52 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

Just for fun, I'd like to see Mr. Rogers research exactly how the financial responsibility law works in Ohio, and whether Lordstown PD can even issue a citation for "not having proof of insurance". Most local agencies can not unless it is city code. He was shown at fault for the crash, which was probably very minor, and was found to have let his insurance lapse. At that point, your only course of action is taking them to court. Or, stay ignorant of the law, don't call that department and ask, and then, write an editorial accusing the officer of being ignorant an racist. Because THAT'S not getting old or anything.

4Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

I'll bet that half the drivers in Youngstown have no insurance . Have one of them run into you and all you can do is to write it off as a loss on your income taxes unless you have full coverage .

5AnotherAverageCitizen(1175 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

Well Mr Rogers,

Were you issued a citation for every infraction you were pulled over for? I would bet not. You would have pulled away from the traffic stop happy that time you did not get a citation. But now that someone else didin't get a citation, you pull the race card.

I know many people who get a warning, or let go from a traffic stop. Does not make it racist.

6300(561 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

AAC, you're comparing not having insurance to rolling through a stop sign?

Not having insurance is tantamount to driving without a license. There's no wiggle room when it comes to that.

Also, could you say with a straight face that if the roles had been reversed, that it's likely that a Lordstown cop wouldn't have asked for Mr. Rodger's proof of insurance? If so, you've never been to Lordstown.

7makesyathink(40 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

I've discovered that "rules" aren't meant for everyone, that half the people in Youngstown have no insurance, and the other half have no driver's license, every officer in every community will treat you differently, and that life really never was fair. Suck up your losses, quit playing the race card, and see what productive thing you can do to change what you don't like.