South Side couple robbed, terrorized in home invasion

Published: Thu, September 8, 2011 @ 10:42 a.m.

YOUNGSTOWN

Police are looking for three men who kicked in the door to a South Side home then robbed and terrorized the couple living there.

According to police the men, all described as black males in their mid to late twenties with “doo rags” over their faces, kicked in the side door to the North Garland Avenue home late Wednesday night. The 38-year-old man and 29-year-old woman living at the house tried to hide in an upstairs bedroom.

Reports say the men forced their way into the bedroom, knocked the man to the floor, then struck the female several times forcing her to the floor. One man held the couple at gunpoint demanding marijuana and money while the other two men searched the house.

Reports say the man handed over a lock box containing $3,500 he received from a student loan check to attend Youngstown State University.

Police found the house completely ransacked and a damaged firearm believed to have been left behind by the thieves.

Comments

1redvert(2064 comments)posted 3 years ago

Looks like one of the visitors can attend YSU now that he has the funds.

Hardly rates as a news item around here!

2jrolley325(800 comments)posted 3 years ago

i call BS....someone owed a drug debt.

correct me if im wrong, but i've never heard of anyone just receiving a check for a "student loan". as far as i know, lenders pay universities directly, not just had someone a check and say "heres some money. you go pay the school now"

3jrolley325(800 comments)posted 3 years ago

not just hand* someone a check

4bsdtwd(40 comments)posted 3 years ago

More of the same. Streets controlled by scum thugs. Cops arrive a day late and a dollar short. These monsters, who have no soul or shame, are brought to you courtesy of their sperm donor males (they aren't "Fathers") and their female recipients, who then hand them over to other relatives to "rear" them. Zero expectations of anyone or anything, gets you Youngstown today.

5jgm820(115 comments)posted 3 years ago

The university distributes refund checks containing the balance of the loan after the tuition is paid. Students typically use the money for living expenses. They also typically keep this money in the bank, not in a lock box under the bed. Also...I believe it is "dew rag", not "doo rag"...not sure I've ever had to spell it before though...

6anothercityresident(12 comments)posted 3 years ago

Should we point out that North Garland Avenue is on the EAST side and not the South Side?

7lbsurfettes(9 comments)posted 3 years ago

Stop bitching and start doing, then real change will happen.

8oldmillspice(160 comments)posted 3 years ago

More cops ? Just how would this have prevented this crime from happening ? Oh they could have caught the perps quiskly...You would need a hell of alot more cops , Are you willing to put a bigger poice levy on the ballot ? What we need is more guns in the hands of the citizines and be willing to take out these clowns. If this happens a few times, brighter criminals may think twice .Come to my house and try to rob me, see what happens.

9Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years ago

It is good that the residents of the SouthSide home didn't attempt to use a firearm against the guests . We have enough gun injuries in the city as it is . The loss was minimal and they should write the loss off on their income taxes as a charitable contribution .

10theoldwrench(243 comments)posted 3 years ago

where do you keep these guns that you can get to with in seconds? If you have kids how do you keep them from getting to them? No criminal is going to knock on your door and Say we are going to break down your in 60 seconds so get ready

11Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years ago

Call 911 and the law will be there in a few hours . . ..

12Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years ago

This article seems to imply that the three solicitors acted in a very bold manner . I'm sure that law enforcement taking a report after they left will put chills down their spines .

13Freeatlast(1991 comments)posted 3 years ago

stan the stupid times 8668

14Freeatlast(1991 comments)posted 3 years ago

Stan is the Fishy story

15Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years ago

Freeatlast seems to be bound again . ..

16Freeatlast(1991 comments)posted 3 years ago

Stan that is so stupd it is above your normal Stupid comment . I can not even put a stupid number on it
Get some fresh air , Your breathing your own stink . But please stand down wind.

17Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years ago

So, your back on medication again I take it ?

18Lifes2Short(3877 comments)posted 3 years ago

"According to police the men, all described as black males in their mid to late twenties with “doo rags” over their faces, kicked in the side door to the North Garland Avenue home late Wednesday night."

No big surprise here. Same ole same ole. Can't wait till the homeowners blast these rabid animals right in the face and take back the community. Their mamas must be so proud of them and one day they'll meet there daddy in prison or hell.
And don't blame the police blame the sick animals that are doing the crime and violence.
Police get blamed for using to much force, no force, it's damned if you do and damned if you don't. Sad society when someone sues a city and a bailiff after running from a courthouse and refusing a order and getting good $$$ over it. Amazing. The criminals have more power then the police. Wouldn't want there job and the scrutiny it entitles. So easy to blame the police and not the ones doing the crime. SMH.

19Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years ago

These folks no doubt bragged how much money they had at home and the trio was impressed enough to get it . Opportunity in the hood is never wasted .

20VindyPost(436 comments)posted 3 years ago

Upon reading todays marriage licenses in county court perhaps a match to this couple. I believe these criminals--demanding marijuana & money ALSO were after bridal shower and wedding gifts and monies. (and of course other so-called goody bags)

**People need to be very careful when announcing engagements, weddings, any events, even funerals...have yourself / home extremely protected.**

21SammieSmokey(1 comment)posted 3 years ago

Just so you know I am the victim of this crime I am the 29 year old woman. It is also on the East Side. It is true that it was loan money from YSU as my fiance does not have an account at a bank. I, myself, have two degrees from YSU. I was sick with a bad cold and didn't get to the bank to put in my account. That's why we put it in the safe! That money, my fiance holding the bedroom door long enough for me to call 911 and my 911 call saved our lives! He was so great that he held them off even after I dialed 119 first. I even tried to offer up prescription drugs and they still wanted weed. This was after they already had the money! It is also in fact true that the marriage license was announced the same day as we had applied for the marriage license the morning the event occurred. It just happened that they printed the two on the same day. What I really want to say is that I was beaten severely, but we are alive and still getting married as planned! I work for a very kind man who is going to replace that money. However, after we left when they invaded the first time, they had the audacity to come and steal everything but our clothes. Unfortunately, no one would give me homeowners insurance because the house would cost more to replace than it was worth, so we are out everything that I have worked 10 years and my fiance have worked 20 years to buy. But that is all just stuff that can be replaced over time. I'm just thankful to be alive and thankful that my fiance and pets were not physically harmed. To all of those being supportive of what happened in terms of defending us, Thank you! For the few people who had the nerve of accusing us of owing drug money, you gave me the courage to sit and type this out and give everyone the most accurate story that you can have...