A tribute to Traficant’s vision

Published: Thu, September 8, 2011 @ 12:00 a.m.

A tribute to Traficant’s vision

One of Barry Manilow’s songs that he sang at the Covelli Centre was “This One’s for You.”

I want to thank Jim Traficant for changing the face of downtown Youngstown and bringing people from Cleveland and Pittsburg here.

“This One’s for You,” Jim, and the vision you had for this area.

Louis Yaworsky, Austintown

Give kids something to do

Everywhere I go I hear how dangerous Youngstown is and how the kids spend their summer vacation at the mall and cause havoc.

All I could say is, no wonder.

Last year I went past the playground at Indianola and Glenwood and it was filled with children and instructors having a great time.

This year I went past and to my horror it was all dug up, and it looked like someone is putting a business there.

With all the empty buildings (including one across the street with a parking lot) in that area, why take this playground away?

I think it is a crime and it tells the children they don’t count. With nothing to keep them occupied I’m surprised there isn’t more trouble.

When I lived in Youngstown we had playgrounds and parks on every side of town, and that was during the Depression when there really wasn’t any money.

What do you expect children to do during the summer, sit around the house and twiddle their thumbs?

Josephine Ciavarella, Mineral Ridge

Comments

1Woody(451 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

Is Jim gonna get more money so the City can make the payment on the Covelli Center?

2redvert(2046 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

A few days ago there was a article that talked about the surplus that I believe the city was expecting. Was this after just making a interest payment on the Covelli Center or are these funds not applicable to this debt?

Would someone more knowledgeable on these funds please comment.

3Woody(451 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

rocky,

He is probably afraid to have people help him with his lawn. The last time he did her went to jail.

Maybe it's a Democratic Congressmen thing:
www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/...

4NYR1(19 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

Give credit where credit is due. Thanks Jimbo.

5Attis(860 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

The Honorable James A. Traficant is a prophet to America; he has suffered a prophet's fate and America is now suffering the consequences of ignoring his prophetic message.