Investigator concurs: Do-Cut fire accidental

Staff report


An independent investigator hired by Federated Mutual Insurance also has determined that the fire at Do-Cut Hardware was caused by electrical failure.

The Sept. 14 fire that destroyed the more-than-30-year-old business on South Raccoon Road was ruled accidental by the independent investigators, according to a Federated Mutual representative.

Dante Terzigni, Do-Cut owner, said the independent investigators spent four weeks at the scene alongside the Cardinal Joint Fire District. The fire district’s official ruling, announced Tuesday, also was accidental.

The four weeks of on-scene investigating included witness interviews, sample testing and sorting through fire debris.

“Our insurance company hired the best investigator they could get,” Terzigni said.

The Federated Mutual representative said in an email Wednesday, “Our expert has indicated that the cause of the fire was an electrical outlet adapter located in the paint/ hardware area. Obviously, more testing would be needed to determine exactly why this electrical component failed.”

Don't Miss a Story

Sign up for our newsletter to receive daily news directly in your inbox.