Attorney: Suspend Trumbull CSB workers in toddler rape case

Published: Wed, October 26, 2011 @ 12:09 a.m.

By Ed Runyan

runyan@vindy.com

WARREN

The attorney for an alleged rape victim’s grandmother says he believes employees with the Trumbull County Children Services Board should be placed on leave while a criminal investigation is undertaken.

Atty. David Engler, who represents Loretta Banks of Warren, grandmother of a 1-year-old girl purportedly raped by her biological parents during a visit at the CSB offices on Reeves Road in July, suggested the leave in a letter he made public Monday.

The letter, written to Trumbull County Prosecutor Dennis Watkins, says Engler believes CSB employees under investigation by the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation should not have access to records related to the case.

“Will they alter records? Will they destroy records?” Engler asks in the letter. Engler doesn’t name specific employees.

Nick Kerosky, executive director of CSB, said his office is cooperating with investigations. If investigators suggested to him that anyone be placed on administrative leave, he would do so immediately, Kerosky said.

He added, “If I thought there was a need to do it, I would do it.”

Engler previously asked Watkins to seek a special prosecutor to look at whether any CSB employees committed a crime as a result of allowing the type of visitation they did.

Watkins said “at this point, there is no need for a special prosecutor,” but BCI did agree to investigate the matter at Watkins’ request.

Engler said CSB employees might be guilty of child endangering for reportedly allowing the couple to be alone with the child despite CSB having records indicating the child’s father, Cody Beemer, 22, of Warren, had been previously convicted of a sex crime.

Cody Beemer and his wife, Felicia Beemer, 21, have been charged with rape and are in the Trumbull County jail awaiting trial. Police say the Beemers captured the crimes on a cellphone video.

Meanwhile, The Vindicator has obtained a copy of CSB’s internal policy regarding visitation of children in the agency’s custody.

It refers to cases in which “interaction between the parent and child has already been deemed to be inappropriate” and says such visitations should not be conducted outside of the agency’s offices. Suspension or termination of visitation should be rare, the policy says.

The policy doesn’t say whether electronic monitoring of visits should be used or whether CSB employees can leave the room periodically.

As for statements from Engler and others that the visit in question involved two hours in which no camera was used and no employee was present except at the beginning and end, Kerosky said he couldn’t talk specifically about it except that it fell within the range of the policy.

“I think everyone should let the investigation run its course,” Kerosky said.

Comments

1UnionForever(1470 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

This is all about lawsuit money for a grandmother who couldn't even bother to have her grandchild in her home instead of the CSB facility.

Don't get me wrong the mom and dad rapists should spend the rest of their lives in prison and the CSB workers who neglected to do their duty should be fired and perhaps jailed as well for gross neglect and child endangering.

2author50(1121 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

Maybe Engler is hoping for a big settlement so he can use that money to run for County Commissioner?

3sweetlissa(3 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

Wow, unionforever, that's kind of harsh. The visit would have been mandatory at CSB due to the known safety risk that the parents presented the child. The shame is that this visit should have been supervised with a staff member in the room for the duration of the visit. This grandmother should sue. The child is going to have severe emotional disturbances that could manifest in mood disorders, personality disorders, sexual deviancy, sexual offending of others, etc. and is going to require therapy and help. This grandma will have her work cut our for her and deserves all the help she can get. Lets all have a little sympathy and remember that the focus is this little girl who was raped by those she was supposed to be able to trust.

4Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

"Kerosky, however, in a telephone call Monday, described the policy as having a range of options, from “eyes in the room, to on-camera, to someone popping in for a visit every 10 to 15 minutes.”

None of these options worked well for the child involved . . . ..

Staff in the room during the full duration of the visit should be required . If the parents weren't fit to have custody why were they left alone with the child ?

5kensgirl(643 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

I can't even imagine harming your own child! These two scumbags need to be put in prison till the day they die. The poor little girl never had a chance. Bless the beasts and the children - for in this world they have no voice, they have no choice.

6cheybaby2(102 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

I know Most Of The Banks There Not Fit to Raise A Child, I don't Know Loretta Banks, When CSB takes a Child It could Take Months For Them To Put a Child Into The Custody of a Relative Let Alone a Grandmother.. My Brother Had 3 Kids By a Banks, After They Took Those Kids From That Banks For also Sexual Molesting My Brother Had To Go Threw Child Classes, Mental evaluation all Kinds Of Bull Crap to Get His Kids They Had them In a Horrible Foster Home Till He got them Bank. I know it took him over a yr to get his kids. They were Put In my Brother & moms Custody just not one.. Those Banks are Pretty Sick People. . Lots Of Drunks To. CSB should Be Held Accountable And Case Worker Fired. . They should Of Know By them taking the other child from that banks girl..The mother of my brothers kids had zero right no visitation at all.. Since Loretta married into that sick family i hope and pray she is better then that and is a decent person.

7legend33(169 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

Engler's a washed up schmuck

8Bplus(103 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

They both need to hang. I think the grandmother is unfit to raise the kids as well, or she would have taken custody of them. I know if I was screwed up and had a kid, my parents would raise it in a heartbeat...as would most other grandparents. I don't know the family, but from what I hear/read, they are most likely typical Trumbull county trash.

92muchtax(410 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

Put the low life parents in jail forever! Engler is a lowlife lawyer and I am sure the public unions will want to fight for these county workers. Thet should be fired and the union should be saying they need fired. This is why so many people want sb5, bad public employees that are untouchable because of unions!

10livevalley(23 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

To the day I die I will never understand how a parent could do this to their own child much less a mother who we are taught has a personal connection to her own born. Don't consider myself a violant person but I would love 5 minutes with these people, death just seems to easy for them. Sad for me to think this way but I just wish I understood how they could have done this. I do also have to agree that SB5 is a savor for the people that work there and defeating it would make them untouchable like they are now. Someone will be fired but within a year will sue and get their job back with pay.