Pavlik-Loew future in limbo

Published: Mon, October 24, 2011 @ 12:05 a.m.

By Joe Scalzo

scalzo@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

On Saturday night, Kelly Pavlik’s promoter and co-manager both told ESPN.com that the Youngstown fighter would have a new trainer, and a new training site.

That was news to his current trainer, Jack Loew.

“I talked to Kelly Saturday night and he told me that was an absolute lie, that it wasn’t happening,” Loew said in a phone interview on Sunday evening. “I said, ‘Kelly, if you’re going with someone else, just be man enough to tell me before I hear it from some website.’

“He assured me again that I’m still his guy. So I said, OK.”

Pavlik, who did not return a message seeking comment, joined his father and co-manager, Mike Sr., in New York on Saturday to discuss his future with co-manager Cameron Dunkin and Top Rank officials. According to the ESPN story, Pavlik agreed to switch to trainer Robert Garcia and begin training in Oxnard, Calif.

Garcia trains several of Dunkin’s fighters as well as Antonio Margarito.

“Jack’s out,” Dunkin told the site. ““It’s about seeing if Kelly still has any fight left in him, and he may not. He wasn’t getting any better, he wasn’t training, he had no organization. He wasn’t in a positive way. So you have to make changes.”

Dunkin said the decision was “about getting him out of Ohio,” where Pavlik has battled alcoholism and dwindling motivation. The 29-year-old Pavlik (37-2, 32 KOs) has trained with Loew at the Southside Boxing Club since he was 9 but has not looked good in recent fights and abruptly canceled his August bout with Darryl Cunningham at the Covelli Centre.

Pavlik did not confirm the ESPN report, declining an interview with boxing write Dan Rafael.

While Dunkin has pushed for a change in trainers for years, Arum has repeatedly said he’s fine with keeping Loew, provided Pavlik trains elsewhere.

“Jack is fine but [Pavlik needs] to be away from Youngstown,” Arum told ESPN.

Loew said he knew Pavlik was likely headed to California to work with infamous BALCO president Victor Conte, who spent time in prison in 2005 after pleading guilty to conspiracy to distribute steroids and money laundering. Conte, who is best known for his ties to former San Francisco Giants slugger Barry Bonds, has since said he will no longer distribute illegal performance-enhancing drugs.

“Victor works with all of Cameron’s fighters,” Loew said.

Loew was complimentary of Garcia but feels Pavlik’s fall has to do with his troubles with alcohol and not his training. But if Pavlik does make a change, Loew said he wishes him “nothing but the best.”

“I love Kelly like a son,” Loew said. “As far as I know, I’m still his trainer but if things change and it’s Kelly’s decision, I’ve got no problem with how his career has gone. I’ve got two up-and-coming young fighters and I always knew there was going to be life after Pavlik at some point.

“I trained him since he was 9 years old and helped him become the middleweight champion of the world. Not too many of even the great trainers out there can say that.”

Comments

1Superstar7(122 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

Kelly,
I Emailed you a few years ago...
unless you obtain speed/quickness training, you will not beat the best.
Whether it's N.Y., California or Mexico, you must focus on quickness. Hire the best in the business if you want to be the best in the business.
Then follow the history of Casius Clay/muhammid ali. He absorbed entertainment concepts from Professional Wrestling.
Gaining speed/quickness & the entertinment styles of TNA & WWE is a path to GREATNESS.
Motivation is EVERYTHING!
All "good luck" is derived from hard work. DO IT NOW!
Stevens.

2boxer123(12 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

Not many boxer/trainer duo can say this but Jack made Kelly, Kelly did not make jack. Manny Pac mad Freddie.

3DOLE2(594 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

I said this 3 years ago.....get out of Youngstown and hire an all new staff!

4boxer123(12 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

3 years ago when he lost his first fight and still was MW champ? yea hmm makes sense.

5YtownSports(216 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

This is all B.S.! If Pavlik wants to be a good fighter again...perhaps a champion...he has to have the passion to do what it takes. If he has that, it doesn't matter where he trains. No place will be without temptations. He has to have it in his heart and gut not to be tempted...or at least not give in to temptation.

6Dagwood(110 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

Attention Southside leaches--->You know who you are, The Kelly Pavlik soup kitchen will be closing soon. Kelly take you Dad and Mom, G/F/wife, and kids as far away from Youngstown as possible. Get yourself an elite trainer and staff and leave the leaches to rot in the valley. I laugh everytime I see these crooks ringside at your fights like they had something to do with your success, they sure won't take responsiblity for your downfalls. I wish I could name these folks on here just to warn the rest of the valley residents to hold on to there wallets and purses when they see them.

7redvert(2048 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

Now why would anyone recommend that Pavlik leave Youngstown? Name one bad thing about Youngstown.......ONLY ONE!!!

8boxer123(12 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

yea look at all of the fights who have done this and they just lose. Oscar Delahoya, Jermaine Taylor, and Ricky Hatton just to name a few. Kelly wont stop partying so he can be trained by jesus and it wont matter. My opinion is that Jack Loew has a great training resume and proves himself so people who neg. talk are just jealous or do not like him personally for some reason.

9Laurieljc(63 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

Come on, let's be positive about this. Sometimes change is good and this may be a good thing for Pavlik's career. And I am sure that it is nothing personal between Pavlik and Loew. It a career decision and one that Pavlik may have had no choice but to make. I like that Loew wants whats best for Kelly. Best of luck to both!

10youngstownsteve(74 comments)posted 2 years, 7 months ago