Sorry, no featured jobs currently.

Kitten found riddled with BBs, struggling to breathe

Published: Wed, October 19, 2011 @ 12:01 a.m.

By Elise Franco

efranco@vindy.com

AUSTINTOWN

Kitten Shot 17 Times

Thanks to an Austintown couple a kitten that had been shot 17 times is on the road to recovery and a new home.

Plans for Emily and Eric Dvorovy’s movie date quickly changed after making a pit stop at Target, where they found a BB-riddled kitten in the parking lot.

Emily Dvorovy, 28, said she and her husband, 30, both of Austintown, left the house Friday evening intending to see a movie but stopped at the Target in Boardman first. As they were pulling into a parking spot they spotted a white kitten scurrying under cars.

“When we got out of the car I could hear her crying, and it was so sad,” she said. “We grabbed her as she was going between cars ... You could tell she was beat up a little bit.”

Dvorovy said the white kitten, which is about eight weeks old, has several visible round wounds, some still open.

“Her fur was matted, and she had this one wound on her face that was just dripping blood,” she said. “We had to take her home with us; we couldn’t leave her.”

Dvorovy said they weren’t able to get the kitten to a veterinarian until Monday, so they cleaned her wounds with warm water and set her up in the garage, away from their other pets.

The couple took the kitten to Austintown Veterinary Clinic, where technician Elisha Rock said the BBs were discovered.

“When I was holding her I felt something under her armpit, so we took an X-ray,” she said. “We found 16 BBs and a pellet inside her.”

The BBs were spread out along the length of the kitten’s body, with several on her back and belly area. Rock said one BB entered at the kitten’s neck and floated down toward her throat, making breathing difficult.

“We’ve seen BBs on X-rays before, but nothing this severe,” she said. “It’s just cruel.”

Linda Plant, the clinic’s office manager, said other than the wounds, the kitten seemed to be in good health. She weighed about two-and-a-half-pounds, which Plant said is about average for a cat of her age.

“She’s going to be OK,” she said. “When it comes time to spay her, the doctor will remove most of the BBs that are superficial.”

Dvorovy said she’s disgusted that someone could intentially harm an aminal in this way.

“When they called me back and showed me the X-rays I burst into tears,” she said.

Dvorovy said she and her husband are trying to decide whether they will keep the kitten, now named Lily. She said her aunt is interested, so it’s likely Lily will stay in the family.

Until then, the kitten is making friends inside the house with the couple’s other pets — two cats and a dog.

“I can’t believe she’s lived through this without any real health issues,” Dvorovy said. “She’s very resilient ... she sleeps a lot, but she’s so loving.”

Comments

1Stan(9923 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

Just a matter of time before there is a human victim . . . ..

2ytownsteelman(627 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

As the proud caretaker of several cats, this is just heartbreaking. I say we fill the shooter full of BBs and see how he likes it.

3author50(1121 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

We live in very violent times...

4justonevoice(94 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

Just further proof of the monsters that live among us. Kittens shot with BB's, dogs burned and scalded and malnourished, children molested by their parents while on supervised visitation, teenagers and grown men shooting and killing each other. No regard for life. Shaking my head........sickening...........

5Education_Voter(838 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

There is a lowlife, or a group, in Boardman. We have seen their signs in Boardman Park, by the pavilion that is in the center of the walking path; as well as other places.
These kids are cold to the suffering of others.

6enjoytheride(26 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

THey waited until Monday? Our vets open on Saturday and SUnday. SO is the emergency clinic.
Glad the saved the kitten but I would have not made it suffer that longer.

7whitesabbath(738 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

Put your money where your Mouth is,

Enjoytheride !!!!!

8whitesabbath(738 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

Oh great another grammar Nazi,

du u ting I culd bee guut ate Scabblee.

9enjoytheride(26 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

I do white sabbath
I am a responisble pet owner. All my pets are fully vaccinated, on routine heartworm or flea care from my veterinarian. All my pets are spayed or neutered, microchipped, and licensed.
When my pet gets sick, we make the appoinment and take my pet to the vet ASAP. When my dog was sick late one night, we took her to the emergency clinic on salt spring road, where she received excellent care.
I accept the lifelong responsibility for my pets. I accept that it costs money to take care of them and gladly spend it to give them the best care, the best food and care I can. I love my pets!
I am not like the low lifes who shot the kitten and dumped her.

10legend33(169 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

They should shoot them damn pit bulls!

11starofesther(168 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

NO RESPECT FOR LIFE~~~~

12starofesther(168 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

NO RESPECT FOR LIFE~~~~ Also the Law should get stricter when it comes to people and animals~~~

13kensgirl(572 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

Where are the parents of the little thugs? My kids would have NEVER thought of hurting an animal! Take the little S.O.B.'s and riddle THEM with BB's!!

14WhatRUAfraidOf(85 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

I forgot to mention that the nasty individuals who did this not only have no respect for life, they also lack empathy for others. Who could do such a thing to a poor, innocent, little creature? And they probably got their jollies, too. It's disgusting!

15DwightK(1236 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

Serial killer in the making somewhere in Boardman. It's kittens today but that won't satisfy them for long.

16AtownParent(561 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

Actually enjoytheride, what I think they are suggesting is that maybe you should donate to the couple who found the kitten and out of the kindness of their heart (and their own wallets) took the kitten in and took it to the vet. It is easy to sit behind your computer and say why didn't you do this, but that was not their kitten, and emergency vetting costs a fortune. Some people will find fault no matter what you do, such a shame...

17boxerlover(124 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

To Atown:
You took the words right out of my mouth. Those saints that decided the kitten was more important than a movie are what this world needs more of today. Compassionate people willing to help an animal off the street because they have a heart. Kudos to the Dvorovy family. And to enjoytheride, with your kind of attitude, I'd change my user name, because it sounds like you are the only perfect animal caregiver in this town and any ride with you would be too long. When is the last time you saved an animal from abuse?

18walter_sobchak(1847 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

Maybe the kitten had just accidently wandered through the neighborhood around St. Dominic's Church!

19jasoninohio(119 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

I disagree with the take that the loser who did this is going to turn to a human next. I understand the statistics that show serial killers graduate from torturing animals to humans, but I have a different thought.

The overwhelming majority of people who stoop this low will never move on to humans because a human can fight back. For most of the scumbags who do this, it is about torturing a victim who can't speak out, about controlling a victim who cannot defend themselves.

I certainly do not agree with someone doing such a cowardly act, I really doubt the police will ever find who did this unless they catch the person in the act. My wife and I own 4 cats and f I ever came upon someone doing something like this I would certainly enact my own justice. I do hope they do find guy (lets face it, 99% of the people who torture animals are white males, except Michael Vick that is) doing this again real soon. Paybacks are a b#t*h!

20shutyourface(246 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

Jasoninohio your a idiot!! I love how you say 99% are white then hurry up to defend your hero. LOL WHAT A JOKE!

21MARGEOMATIC(128 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

it was great these people saved that kitten. JEFFERY DALMER enjoyed abusing animals - HE TRUNED OUT TO BE A GREAT PERSON ! I wonder what creature with no parents did this.

22jasoninohio(119 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

hey shut your face- My Michael Vick jab was a tounge in cheek. But in all honesty, look at the statistics, the majority of people who torture animals are white males. (I too am a white male)

I am simply saying that while almost all serial killers at one time tortured animals, not all who tortured animals become serial killers.

And as I said, people who torture animals do so because they are weak, low life scum bags. I would never defend anyone who shoots a kitten 16 times with a BB gun. I hope the guy who did it gets his, and I hope he gets it sooner rather than later.