City police to ramp up patrols on South Side

Published: Fri, October 14, 2011 @ 12:09 a.m.

CHIEF FOLEY SAYS intent IS TO GET GUNS OFF STREET

By David Skolnick

skolnick@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

City police will step up enforcement on the South Side with the help of other law-enforcement agencies during the next two to three weeks in response to five homicides and a shooting in the last few weeks.

Police Chief Rod Foley said Thursday that the saturation patrols will include Youngstown officers as well as members of the Ohio State Highway Patrol, Ohio Adult Parole Authority, Mahoning County juvenile probation department, the FBI Violent Crimes Task Force, the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation, and the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

“It’s a short-term solution to a long-term problem, but we’re developing a long-term strategy,” Foley said.

The focus of the saturation patrols is to get guns off the street, he said.

“We’re going to stress that you shouldn’t be carrying a gun,” Foley said. “If you get caught carrying a gun, you’ll get put away.”

To reduce Youngstown police overtime costs, Foley said additional officers will be reassigned to patrol with a concentration on “peak” times for crime, between 5 p.m. and 1 a.m.

The focus area is the city’s South Side between South, Glenwood, Indianola avenues and Midlothian Boulevard.

In a little more than three weeks, there have been five homicides and a shooting. Except for one slaying, all others occurred on the South Side.

Foley described the “spike” in violence as “an anomaly on the screen,” saying most homicides and shootings in the city occur during the summer months.

A key component of a long-term solution to getting guns off city streets is Operation Ceasefire, city officials say.

The program identifies the city’s most-frequent criminal offenders and provides intervention and alternatives to the criminal lifestyle — with the assistance of local residents, groups and churches — to deter them from committing crimes. If the people identified continue to commit crimes, they’ll be arrested and prosecuted, city officials say.

City officials planned to implement Operation Ceasefire in 2008, but it never got started, said DeMaine Kitchen, administrative assistant and secretary to Mayor Charles Sammarone.

Kitchen, a former city councilman, said the program has had a lot of success in other cities such as Boston and Cincinnati.

“This is not a magic bullet or an overnight success story,” he said. “It will take time, patience and commitment. It will take time, and we can’t abandon it when a crime occurs.”

Councilwoman Annie Gillam, D-1st, supports the program saying that many kids who commit crimes are “followers who don’t want to” break the law.

Comments

1author50(1121 comments)posted 3 years ago

Does this mean that East, West and North sides are safe?

2misslady(20 comments)posted 3 years ago

The westside is just as bad right by steel steet, those kids hang out on the streets wont move when your driving they were just shooting over their and I see it didn't make the news nor any arrest was made. My thing is your going to do something like this why broadcast it? Your never going to catch them, just do it.

3CantStandYa(133 comments)posted 3 years ago

Great weekend to do it boys!
Its going to rain all weekend. Everyone will be indoors playing madden puffing on blunts!
And the cops will be cruising in their warm cars, sippin coffee and eating pastries.

Is Chief Wiggum heading up this operation?

4Lifes2Short(3877 comments)posted 3 years ago

And hopefully put away for a long time. It's getting bad with these young wanna b gangstas roaming the streets and carrying. Death seems to be the only thing that can stop them.

Bellamy

Good Luck!

5MARGEOMATIC(128 comments)posted 3 years ago

The South Side is the worst side of town- North Side /West Side are not far behind- the East Side - well it's the East-Side - The issue with the South Side is it's location -bordering decent areas- the last few streets Youngstown even has that are resdentail - and livable. When those citizens are forced out because of the thugalacian crack billy's - the entire area will be deemed unsuitable for economic developement- and another 7,000 homes that no one wants- including banks- that like it or not - now view Y-town as a no can do investment zone.When lending institutions give up on an area - no loans for any business will happen- meaning no JOBS. The occupy dinks that live around here should be thankful for any large corp that is still willing to take the risk of opening a business in area's like this- because right now large corps are the only ones that can absorb the cost of shrinkage - and carry stores that under perform. .A small business can not survive the 39% loss of merchandise that is all part of low income business ventures.News FLash- to the occupy Youngstown drips- No one wants to occupy Youngstown - Even the banks flip off that script- BE THANKFUL for any jobs large corps offer.Because nothing else is making iT.Glunk it at the bar down town next to the restuarant that's shut down and will change hands - open than- shut down...pluck your uni-brow - raise an eyebrow...drink a shot of mind eraser to forget you live in the land of the lost .Count all of the boarded up store fronts while driving down town...

6Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years ago

Frank Bellamy would make an excellent "MAYOR" also . The city needs to be put back under control and Frank could do that ! Keep the next Mayoral Election in mind Frank !

7MARGEOMATIC(128 comments)posted 3 years ago

Drug store chains that started out with the 24-7 concept have to minimize hours in the no-go danger zones of Youngstown. Belmont Ave/ Meridian -meaning loss of jobs. Dolla Ya all stores brave enough to even open - operate on Glenwood/ low life end of Belmont will adjust H.O.O. or shutter.WALMART stores that people here pretend to hate but show up by the thusands to apply for jobs at - will eventualy cut their loss by phasing out 24-7 operations. The SO-PO mall under constant - WMD Assault - will end up with phased out anchor stores- replaced by 12 versions of FOOT LOCKERS - radio shack and a kiosk selling blinged out cell phone covers with nothing else moving in to replace the dead space.On and on - Youngstown is it's own worst enemy- Occupy Y town losers just don't get it and should find something better to do.Youngstown that suffers one of the highest unemployment stats in the nation on the brink of Detroit status should be begging any corp to come here. The city of y-town's lust for the dust and- coruption - keeps legit business away .Crime will not stop if there are no jobs.

8Dagwood(129 comments)posted 3 years ago

How about instead of "getting put away", "we will be firing at will". It will cost the taxpayers more to put them in prison then to just bury them.-->Too harsh? I Don't care, start contributing to society in a positive way and then I'll have a heart and share my city.

92ndamendment(21 comments)posted 3 years ago

I carry a gun all the time for my protection. Good thing I got my CHL license to protect me from those hoodlums.

10Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years ago

My friends in the culture have or can steal cars to take them to opportunity . They are not impressed by zoning . Carry plenty of cash and unexpired credit cards so as not to offend them .

Carrying a gun will do you no good unless you are prepared to shoot to kill . Your gun can and will be used against you . If you do kill be prepared for a myriad of consequences . The subculture is protected by our legal system .

11southsidedave(4784 comments)posted 3 years ago

This is a joke, the hoodlums are not afraid of cops. This will not curb the crime rate.

12pac1234(21 comments)posted 3 years ago

All the hype, crime summits, politicians, and police patrols will not change anything on the southside or anywhere in Youngstown. The city is way to far gone-no infrastructure, no development, mostly blighted areas and the people causing the problems simply do not care and have no desire to change-pretty sad to die for "claiming" a filthy street. I wish the police the best of luck though, they do their jobs. The courts mess everything up.

13ytown_kills_me(64 comments)posted 3 years ago

ummm the west side was thrown to the dogs when wendy spendy webb and her gang bang of idiots shipped all the wanna-be's to the schools over here ...love how a park that was a very quiet and nice place was sold to the idiots at the school board for a dollar to become the breeding ground for elementary future trouble makers and we on the west side were LIED to reguarding where that school was to be built....they dont care until they take over all sides of town...the west side is lost the ypd cant do a thing about it and the school situation in this city is laughable....wilson junior high had cops there wednesday for an unruly student...its funny how the "officials" dont have a clue how to fix the problem....well one problem with the school situation is now there is NO sense of neighborhood pride when you are shipping thugs all over town....heck they walk down hazelwood and expect YOU to move...i say use em as pot hole filler hit the gas and blow the horn and laugh as you watch them scatter like cockroaches...this city is lost and is going down hill no matter who is in office...vote all incumbants out no matter who they are ...they havnt done they're job, and are like the cock roaches...breeding off the taxpayer trough

14pac1234(21 comments)posted 3 years ago

Oh yeah, I forgot about the schools......
Just the other day that fine young woman, earnestly doing her school work was tased for refusing to put her cell phone away. I am sure that was some intellectual conversation she was having with another fine student.

15smitha25(4 comments)posted 3 years ago

Margeomatic.......I seriously doubt that you live in Youngstown, so why are you so outspoken about the issues within the city. Everyone knows its a ghost town. Everyone knows the crime rate is high. Yet you feel the need to post degrading comments about the city. Newsflash: Not every black person in Youngstown is on drugs and welfare. You are so good at pointing out the problems, let's hear your solutions!

I was born and raised on the upper northside of Youngstown. I have never been arrested, I'm not on drugs, and my family has never received public assistance in any form. I graduated high school with a 4.0 GPA and received my degree in Information Technology with a 3.6 GPA. I no longer live in Youngstown, but my last residence in Youngstown was on the southside. Does that make me a hood rat? Am I part of the "subculture"?
I am not proud of the things that happen in my hometown. I'm not proud of the fact that so many black teenagers in Youngstown have no value for life or the property of other people. But I am even less proud of the people who spend their days spreading negativity and hate on Vindy.com. Perhaps it makes you feel good to hide behind a screen name and spew venomous comments. Perhaps it makes you feel good to turn your nose up at people who are less fortunate. Personally, you disgust me just as much as the misguided black teenagers living a life of crime. You are just as full of hatred and ignorance as they are. I do not condone the violence and crime that is committed in Youngstown. But I'm not going to pass judgement without first offering a solution.

16Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years ago

smitha25 :

"Stan......When Youngstown had a black mayor you posted your funny little link about Jay Williams' plan. Now that we have a caucasian mayor, where are the funny links and pointed fingers of blame? Right next to your Klan membership card I bet."

When I criticized money wasted on Wick Park that could have been better spent toward generating jobs I was attacked here at The Vindy . My posts are no longer allowed on "Recent Comments" on Vindy.com .

Sammarone's record or lack thereof speaks for itself . . .. and Jay wasn't so bad . . ..

17Lifes2Short(3877 comments)posted 3 years ago

smitha

"But I'm not going to pass judgement without first offering a solution."

And exactly what would your "solution" be?

18smitha25(4 comments)posted 3 years ago

Lifes2short.....I don't pretend to have the solution. But I can definitely say that logging on to Vindy.com and referring to these kids as "subculture" and "animals" isn't fixing anything. I will also let you in on a little secret. In every one of these gangs or groups of black kids, there are 3 or 4 white guys that are members as well. There is also several young white women who think these gang members are the coolest guys on the planet and allow them to use their cars, credit cards and bodies to fulfill their needs. It's not a black thing, its not a white thing, its a society thing. The violence is glorified on television, movies, the newspaper, and music. Who owns and operates these media outlets? The violence is facilitated by the wealthy people who profit from the criminal behavior that is portrayed in music and on film. We all need to do better!

19Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years ago

"And exactly what would your "solution" be? "

smitha25 wants an appology from all the victims of the subculture for snitching and no criticism from anyone else . I sense bitterness from a participant of the public dole . Upping the handouts seems to be on the agenda .

20smitha25(4 comments)posted 3 years ago

I'm not here for apologies Stan. But your sarcasm is getting old and its not helping the problem. We actually have the same opinions on the crime and violence, but the way you choose to voice your opinion is disgusting. I'm sure you probably think you are really funny, but you're not. Furthermore, you aren't a victim. If you were, I would feel that you have every right to express yourself however you want. But the truth is, you are just an arrogant, judgemental, pompous prick who is desparate for attention. You aren't on Vindy.com to help, you just want to be noticed because of some complex you have. See a therapist instead of coming to Vindy.com to release your anger of being a lonely old man. We would all be better served if you did.

21Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years ago

smitha25 :

"but the way you choose to voice your opinion is disgusting. "

Thanks for the compliment !

Lets look back at Joe Kaluza being robbed of $300. , shot and left a quadriplegic . No disgust here . Later Angeline Fimognari is executed at St. Domincs Church with a bullet to the head . No disgust here . Next in line we have Thomas Repchic and his wife gunned down leaving St. Dominics Church . Tom was killed and his wife had her leg blown off . No disgust here .

So lets sweep all this and hundreds of other crimes into a dark corner and profess that IT'S ALL GOOD IN THA HOOD . We would be all better served . RIGHT ?

22smitha25(4 comments)posted 3 years ago

Are you retarded Stan? At what point did I say that what's happening is all good? I don't like it any more than you do. I feel bad for the family of every victim in the crimes of youngstown. My point is that you are an attention wh0re who truly doesn't care about what's happening, you just look for an opportunity to degrade people. The only time it really bothers you is when someone of your color is the victim. This was made obvious by all of the names you just mentioned. Have fun at your Klan rally tonight.

23Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years ago

smitha25 :

"Are you retarded Stan?"

Evidently I'm not or we would be getting along . . ..

You are a fool who sees nothing wrong with the crime but just the criticism of it .

The race card ? I had black friends who were killed on the SouthSide . I criticize City Hall for not bringing jobs to the SouthSide . Oh racial,racial me for doing so . . . ..

You are racial for implying that being a white victim is good . I support the death penalty to vindicate victims of all colors . . ..

24Lifes2Short(3877 comments)posted 3 years ago

smith

"But I can definitely say that logging on to Vindy.com and referring to these kids as "subculture" and "animals" isn't fixing anything."

And it's not hurting anything either. Quit being so politically correct all the time. Discipline starts in the home.

"I will also let you in on a little secret. In every one of these gangs or groups of black kids, there are 3 or 4 white guys that are members as well."

And your point????

"There is also several young white women who think these gang members are the coolest guys on the planet and allow them to use their cars, credit cards and bodies to fulfill their needs."

Again and your point is???

""It's not a black thing, its not a white thing, its a society thing.""

No it's not society's fault. It's the parent(s) that bring a child into this world and don't teach them to become productive members of society.

"The violence is glorified on television, movies, the newspaper, and music. Who owns and operates these media outlets?"

Who cares. Just another excuse.

"The violence is facilitated by the wealthy people who profit from the criminal behavior that is portrayed in music and on film. "

Another excuse. What happened to FAMILY values??

"We all need to do better! "

I was a single father and my three children are respectful and productive members of society. Complain about the lack of parenting skills that these young wanna b gangstas are lacking. Society shouldn't have to teach your children to become productive adults. Starts in the home.

All you come up with his excuses. Listen to Mayor Nutter from Philadelphia. Good speech. Quit blaming.

Same with Bill Cosby