Shooting on city’s West Side seriously injures mom, son

Published: Sat, November 26, 2011 @ 12:00 a.m.

Staff report

YOUNGSTOWN

A mother and son were in the intensive care unit at St. Elizabeth Health Center in Youngstown on Friday night after being shot multiple times in their Oakwood Avenue apartment Wednesday night on the West Side.

Police have issued arrest warrants charging two Youngstown men with attempted murder in the case.

As of Friday night, neither man had been arrested, police said.

Police were called to the 2600 block of Oakwood at 8:49 p.m. for shots fired and found Robert Shaffer, 29, and his mother, Michelle E. Holmes, 50, both of the Oakwood Avenue address, on the floor, suffering from gunshot wounds.

Shaffer was on the dining room floor, Holmes on the kitchen floor.

Shaffer had been shot in the abdomen, both legs and possibly the foot, police said. Holmes had been hit in the abdomen and shoulder.

A third family member told police he was in the upstairs part of the house when he heard gunfire coming from downstairs and got there to see his brother crawling away from the kitchen.

He also saw a black male wearing a baseball cap covered by a dark hooded jacket shooting a handgun as he backed out of the kitchen door.

The suspect then fled on foot toward the rear of the apartment, the family member said.

City police recovered several spent shell casings in the home and discovered several bullet holes in the walls.

Comments

1mts(5 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

I am a resident of the west side of youngstown, in the last week within 3 blocks of my home there has been a doulble homicide, a double shooting on Oakwood Ave. within 100 yards of my home at approximately 8:45 p.m. on Wednesday evening November 23 and an armed robbery at Briarhill Pizza and wings on Mahoning Ave. What the HELL is going on can someone PLEASE do something to get these THUGS, GUNS, and DRUGS off the streets. It has gotten to the point that I have to carry a gun to walk my dogs in the evening. I pay some of the highest city taxes in the country, for what to watch 6 out of 9 Water Department employees stand around at a job site smoking while 3 of them work, or to listen to them bicker over there radios about having to do work because "IT IS NOT THERE JOB". Since I am unemployed I monitor a scanner approximately 12 hours a day inbetween job searches and doing odd jobs. I am inclined to tape some of this coverage and attend the next City Council meeting for everyone to hear. If you happen to have a scanner I am sure you know where I am coming from. Now that I am done griping back to the seriousness of GUNS, DRUGS, and THUGS I arrived at the scene of the shooting on Oakwood Ave. before the first ambulance, all the neighbors that were there as the victims were being cared for and removed from the scene kept stating that this was a KNOWN DRUG HOUSE and if something would have been done sooner this incident could have been prevented. Maybe we should cut back on USELESS Water Department employees and provide more Police Officers to curtail this epidemic, and oh yeah might be a good idea for you parents out there to stop calling the Police to deal with your UNRULY 14 YEAR OLD!!! Beat there ass and send them to bed.

Sincerely,

Truly Concerned

2southsidedave(4709 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

I don't want to pass judgment; but this story sounds as though there could be drugs involved.

Thugs do not break into your home and shoot you without a reason.

The story did not indicate if anything was stolen.

3DAL(88 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

The sad thing is that the West Side of Youngstown use to be as nice place to live but within the last 15years, it has drastically changed. The Riff Raff of the West Side is now spilling over into Austintown. It is a shame!!!!

4becky47(34 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

I had not heard anything about this but on Friday I was walking my dog past there as a man approached one of the apartments. Another resident yelled to him "the store is closed"..right away I knew what he meant. It may sound heartless but I say let them keep killing one another then maybe the Westside can clean up and be a great place to live again.

5Stan(9923 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

"Another resident yelled to him "the store is closed".."

There are many known drug houses around the city so the customers of this one can still get their medication . Drug sales in Youngstown pump a lot of money into the economy .

Mother and son should be able to draw money from the victim compesation fund when they are released from the hospital . The Vindy should follow up on what they do with their lives from this point forward .

6TracyPatton(1 comment)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

No one knows if this is drug related, and no one has the right to say that it is. We all know what people say about assumptions. The point is that the violence needs to end. My grandfather was asleep on his couch and some thugs broke in, stole some stuff, while grandpa was asleep, he heard the noise, got up and seen these thugs eating his food, and went to get the shotgun and they took off. So tell me what did my Grandfather do to deserve to have his house broken into by a bunch of thug thieves?

7Stan(9923 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

" he heard the noise, got up and seen these thugs eating his food,"

They were probably hungry and were sharing the food . With no jobs being generated in the city for them this was one of their options to eat .