Omarosa shares reality of ambition with her native Youngstown

Published: Fri, November 4, 2011 @ 12:09 a.m.

hometown star offers advice to urban league

By Elise FRANCO

photo

Reality-TV personality Omarosa Manigault-Stallworth spoke with reporters Thursday at the Greater Warren-Youngstown Urban League dinner in Niles.

efranco@vindy.com

NILES

To empower an entire community, individuals must first empower themselves.

This was the message Omarosa Manigault- Stallworth wanted to convey as the keynote speaker at the 81st Greater Warren-Youngstown Urban League dinner.

Manigault-Stallworth, who appeared on the first season of the reality TV show “The Apprentice,” said she looked forward to returning to Youngstown, where she grew up.

She mentioned the recent study that named Youngstown as having the highest concentrated poverty rate in the country, and said the city’s residents shouldn’t be defined by such statistics.

“I don’t think you are what they call you; I think you are what you answer to,” she said.

Manigault-Stallworth said the Mahoning Valley’s empowerment needs to begin with its children.

“In order to empower the community, focus on education,” she said.

The graduate of the Rayen School also mentioned her brother, Jack Manigault, who was shot and killed in his East Avondale Avenue home in October.

“It hits home seeing what happened with my family here recently,” she said. “People have lost hope. ... They have to find a way, have a clear plan of rebuilding their community.”

Warren Mayor-Elect Doug Franklin was honored at the dinner as the Urban League’s “Person of the Year.”

Franklin, currently Warren’s director of public service and safety, said he’s humbled by the honor.

“This journey, for me, started 20 years ago, with the people who surrounded me and made it happen,” he said. “I accept this honor in that spirit.”

Manigault-Stallworth is also a known advocate for at-risk youths and the alleviation of homelessness in the United States and abroad, serves as the international goodwill ambassador for the Haiti Support Project and promotes education efforts in West Africa.

The Greater Warren-Youngstown Urban League is in its 81st year of service as the premier voice of the Mahoning Valley’s minority communities. Its mission is to enable minorities to secure economic self- reliance, parity, power and civil rights.

Comments

1kensgirl(570 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

I don't remember her mentioning Youngstown too much on her way to fame. It's like she was ashamed. Now that her 15 minutes of fame are over all of a sudden she remembers where she came from.

2shutyourface(246 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Yep..grabbing any camera time she can.Who the hell cares what she has to say?

3southsidedave(4777 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Gold digger for sure!

4avaguy7(1 comment)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Does anybody really care what this ##### has to say! OMG come on people if anybody showed up for this event they ought to take a look at themselves. I am ashamed to say thats what Ytown produced and we want to listen to her CMON. I know we can do better than that

5kimk1957(21 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

I remember when she was on the Apprentice...she sounded VERY ashamed of Youngstown.
I wonder why she didn't work on getting her brother/family out of the southside?

6Ianacek(883 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Bar your doors , folks ! The KKK's in town .

A successful Youngstown native like Omarosa , who has a Masters degree, steps up to be a role model for her community , calls for people to be proud of their heritage Youngstown children to get a better better education, the haters can't contain their fury .

She hasn't hidden her Youngstown heritage . Here's a 2009 interview .

7ghostofjohnyoung(163 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Well I didn't follow this woman's rise to fame.

Only knew her name vaguely from Apprentice.

What's troubling (wondering if anyone else noticed this) is that her father was murdered also. Assuming that was here in the bad streets of Youngstown...

Quote:
"OM: Well, there were several. One occurred when I was very, very young, only 7, when my father was murdered. That's a milestone you never forget."

That would have been in 1981 when her father was murdered.

30 exact years later, her brother was killed in the very same town.

Another generational murder family tree born and bred in Youngstown.

Folks should be damn ashamed of what this town has become.

8kensgirl(570 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Her brother did some pretty hefty crimes himself. I remember in one interview her saying that she grew up in the slums of Youngstown. What a rotten thing to say! Even more rotten was the KKK comment. I never supported the KKK "Lanacek". They in fact used to burn crosses in my mother's front yard as a child because she was Catholic. Get your facts straight you ignoramus!

9ghostofjohnyoung(163 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Where did she grow up? On the Southside I bet...

I say that, because as Louie Free has reported, there is a now famous study from the early to mid 1980's saying how bad that area was.

I wonder if these two murders around her were both drug involved? Seems to be the most common thread in these failed communities.

10kensgirl(570 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

The south side of Youngstown housed some of the most beautiful neighborhoods in town. Euclid and Rush Blvd. could rival any Beverly Hills neighborhood. The south side now is very violent and drug infested. How sad to see such a gorgeous place go to hell.