Day of drinking among friends ends in death of Vernon Twp. man, 20

Published: Thu, November 3, 2011 @ 12:10 a.m.

By Ed Runyan

runyan@vindy.com

WARREN

Police have charged a 20-year-old Farmdale man with second-degree murder in the shooting death of a friend during an argument at a home in Vernon Township after a day of drinking.

Ryan Wrightsman, of 4413 state Route 87, will be arraigned today in Eastern District Court in Brookfield. He was arrested Wednesday morning.

He’s accused of killing Joshua Soles, 20, of 7480 state Route 7, at Soles’ home at 9:30 p.m. Tuesday. Sheriff Thomas Altiere said the two men had grown up and gone to school together and “got into arguments a lot.”

On Tuesday, Wrightsman, Soles and a third man had been drinking throughout the day and using marijuana, the sheriff said.

At 9:30, the third man called 911 in a panicked voice, saying, “Help, please. My friend just shot himself.”

The dispatcher asked if the victim was still breathing, and the man said, “No, I think he’s dead.”

When deputies arrived, they found Soles inside the house dead, the victim of a gunshot wound to the upper body. The firearm was found nearby, and the two other men were still there.

Altiere said the investigation that ensued indicated that the gunshot wound was not self-inflicted, and Wrightsman was in custody throughout the night.

Wrightsman was questioned Wednesday morning and arrested, said Major Thomas Stewart of the sheriff’s office.

“The evidence at the scene didn’t point to self-inflicted,” Altiere said.

The charge filed against Wrightsman was second-degree murder, Altiere and Stewart said, because there was no evidence that the killing was premeditated.

No charges have been filed against the third man.

Altiere and Stewart said they could not remember the last time there was a homicide in Vernon Township.

Comments

1taxme(343 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Doesn't surprise me. Just turn the tv on. Watch the commercials. You can't have fun without the worst drug of them all., alcohol! Just another casualties of alcohol. ALCOHOL is responsible 50 deaths a day in Ohio alone. Nice, keep up the marketing of this dangerous drug that's worse than heroin!

2Stan(9923 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Due to the fact that Ryan Wrightsman recently had a serious brain injury and was drinking he had no control .

However, many may not
know about Ryan Wrightsman, who was critically injured a few weeks ago in a highway accident.
He received a very severe head injury and originally was given slim chance of survival. He continues
to amaze people on his recovery. Ryan’s dad Ray, & Uncle Jim used to race at Expo and Sharon. His
updates can be checke at www.caringbridge.net. Get well Buddy!

3ytownsteelman(631 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

He will have plenty of time to heal up under the wonderful care of the doctors at the State Pen!

4walter_sobchak(1922 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Taxme,
You are so right! Just last Saturday, I was watching the OSU game and I had two Blue Moon Pumpkin Ales and two Blue Moon Pale Ales. Then, this commercial came on for Capt. Morgan. Well, I immediately went into swashbuckling mode, grabbed my dress "cutlass" and threatened to stab my wife. Fortunately, a Corona commercial came on and the lazy seashore scenes calmed me down. I laid back in my chaise! But, then, a Coors Light commercial came on and I grabbed my Silver Bullets and started loading up. But, my wife starting singing Love Train and I got on board! People all over the world starting joining in! Man, what a night of ups and downs. I'm glad no one got shot!!!!!!!

57ralph(1 comment)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

A night of careless fun, only those there knew what happened. We were all young and goofy once. Did a number of dumb things. I thankfully survived, got married, had kids, had a job, got laid off due to cut backs. Living the American dream, whatever that is. These young lives and their families are forever changed. My thoughts and prayers go out to all involved. and as a society, lets have a little compassion and sympathy. It can go a long way. One day we may need a little ourselves.

6johnrzell(1 comment)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

let me start off by saying that the "a**hole...loser" whom you are reffering to is my nephew... and that "a**hole...loser" is a kid who was dealt a bad hand and never really got the fair chance at life that he deserved. but that "a**hole...loser" has come a long way and has grown up to be an amazing person who making his future bright. do you know him?...i didn't think so.... so who do you think you are to say anything about him? i think that anyone who comments on tragedies like this should send out support to the family and close friends who are obviously having a hard time coping with everything. rather than insulting their loved one who was taken too early, someone who has had their life TAKEN. if you ask me, that makes you the "A**HOLE". he was a great kid. he turned his whole life around recently... he finished school and was talking about attending college in the near future. i didn't know that that made someone a "loser".... yeah, he partied. have you ever gotten drunk or taken drugs? get real. this is the 21st century. if you haven't ever partied... a lot of people must have considered you to be the "loser". i don't know you, and you don't know me, and you didn't know josh.... so unless you have an appropriate opinion, keep them to yourself. thank you.

7wineywoman(78 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Stan: You have GOT to be kidding!!!! How quickly the worm turns!! Why isn't this kid an "animal, or a low life"?? I will say it AGAIN, a loss of human life is ALWAYS tragic, no matter where the person lived, or what color their skin is. The absence of your usual rant tells us who you really are! How's your hood hanging?

8Stan(9923 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

wineywoman :

"The absence of your usual rant tells us who you really are! How's your hood hanging?" ( THERE AINT NO KLAN IN THA HOOD ! )

Hanging out in the hood I've seen it all . Out in the sticks I've also seen the good , the bad and the ugly . Here I see the wounded and not properly healed allowed to injest alcohol to further destroy what the accident had damaged .

9spicypepper(2 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

The saddest part is the Wrightsman family begged the Soles family not allow Ryan to have alcohol as a minor and after his accident, they even called sheriff deputies prior to November trying to have Ryan returned home and inforce thewishes of no alcohol.
It is sad to think that other parents will not repect the wish of you and are willing to give kids a so called "safe" place to drink.