Lisa Antonini resigns as Mahoning County treasurer

Published: Mon, May 16, 2011 @ 3:03 p.m.

YOUNGSTOWN — Lisa A. Antonini 41, of Gladwae Drive, Youngstown, resigned her $68,275-a- year job as Mahoning County treasurer this afternoon, just a few hours after the U.S. Attorney filed an information in federal court this morning charging her with one count of honest services mail fraud.

“I am ashamed and embarrassed by my actions. I deeply regret having disappointed the people of our community who placed their trust and confidence in me. I am sincerely sorry for having let so many people down,” Antonini wrote in a statement to the media.

“I am fully prepared to accept the consequences of my actions, and, when the appropriate time comes, I look forward to having the opportunity to rebuild and resume my life,” she wrote to Atty. Dave Betras, chairman of the Democratic Party.

Antonini announced her resignation effective immediately in a one-sentence letter to Jon Husted, Ohio Secretary of State.

For the complete story, read Tuesday's Vindicator and Vindy.com

Comments

1outsideobserver(31 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

Who's law firm represented the Cafaros in the Oakhill case against the commissioners? The Betras firm did.

That's why Attorney Betras must not be allowed to pick who the next Treasurer is going to be. It's like putting the Cafaros in charge of picking who gets the job!

How do you think we got Carol the Dolt Commissioner?? Chairman Betras and Cafaro money.

The US Attorney needs to protect us from these people. Please stop this process now before we get stuck with another dolt they pick!

2walter_sobchak(1982 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

$3000?!?!? That's all it takes for her to throw her postition down the drain. Does she get to keep her retirement benefits?

3Lionelman(4 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

Any bet takers out there that an Antonini resignation opens the door for Tablack whose contract was not renewed last week? Doesn't it seem odd that Tablack has been so quiet the past week. They all knew what was coming down for Antonini. Keep it in the "family" guys. Typical Mahoning county politics.

4redeye1(4712 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

I hope she didn't spend all the money in one place. because she is going to need awhole lot more to pay her lawyers. Good riddance Lisa !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

Lisa, your political career is over . The Democrats are kicking you under the bus . BTW, Infocision is hiring . . ..

6Lionelman(4 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

Maybe Rhigetti doesn't like Tablack. That's not the issue. She will have little say when the Democrat party chooses Tablack for Antonini's unexpired term. You can take that to the bank.

7georgejeanie(895 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

Democratic scum bags. you people deserve everything you get. Good riddance to Youngstown and the people who still live in Mahoning County.

8Sooosn(1 comment)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

I've always liked George Tablack. I hope he does get the nod taking over as treasurer. When he was auditor and there was any criticism that included him on talk radio he would actually call in and address the issue. How many other local politicians have done that?

As far as the commissioners not renewing his contract...how many of them are accountants? I can't wait to see the mess they make.

He's been in the political arena in the Youngstown area for years...yes. But from my point of view he's always done a stand-up job also.

9wksb50(32 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

every singe political figure needs ousted right now. what we need is truth and honesty. mahoning county politics scares the crap out of me and alot of people i know feel the same way. clean up the crap.

10wksb50(32 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

TABLACK SUCKED!

11AtownAugie(720 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

Did I miss the (D) after her name or position? If she was a Republican, the (R) would be seen in about every third line of the story.

12ldchian(56 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

funny how people are always so sorry once they get caught. and this is for you georgejeanie: you can only say good riddance to someone who leaves. you're the one who moved to florida. good riddance.

13LtMacGowan(669 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

btw Stan, Infocision doesn't hire people with criminal records.

14mrblue(1068 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

Another corrupt politician. Really, is anyone surprised? She will sing to the FEDS and others will fall. Politics in the Mahoning Valley---is there any official left who is not corrupt? Lets see now---$68,275.00 or $3,000. Hey Lisa---just how dumb was that decision?

15Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

mrblue :

"She will sing to the FEDS and others will fall. "

Not a chance as she has nothing to offer . Her problems exist because somebody already sang to save their own skin .

LtMacGowan :

"btw Stan, Infocision doesn't hire people with criminal records."

Perhaps Infocision could make an exception in her case ?

16Ret(39 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

Okay, I hope I don’t sound too nutty here, butttttt, there seems like there should be a lot more to this story than we are being told.
If I have the timeline right, she accepted this $3000 before she was the treasurer. I think she was just a democratic party hack. (Isn’t taking bribes part of that job description?) Not knowing the ongoing rate of taking bribes, doesn’t $3000 sound pretty lame, and who is this business man who would offer such a lowball bribe. I think future officials who might want to take a bribe would like to know.
There has to be more to this than just a $3000 undeclared campaign donation. Don’t Ya think!!!!

17LtMacGowan(669 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

Well they like many other places won't hire people with criminal records. It doesn't matter if it was 7 years ago and you shoplifted some candy. Its idiotic, how do you expect former criminals and such to ever rehabilitate and become productive members of society if they can't get a job anywhere but burger king? a guy selling drugs making $10,000 a month goes to prison, gets out and says "hmmm should i work at Burger King for minimum wage? or should I slang dope again" that's a no brainer.

18dhtj(32 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

To be honest. I think that we don't need either one of them(Tablack/ Antonini) Lets do more with less like everyone else in the private sector is doing. Don't fill their positions and let someone else do the work.. Oops sorry they're public sector.

19dhtj(32 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

Vindy says InfoCision is hiring. She can work there.

20republicanRick(1251 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

Some "businessman" hands $ 3,000 cash to Antonini, just the two of them present?
This "businessman" must be singing to the feds about corruption. Antonini could have simply denied this charge and claimed it was a she said / he said thing and show me the proof that I took cash. There has to be more to the Antonini scandal since it seemed she has taken a deal on this one transaction to save indictment on more charges.