Youngstown East Siders 'have had enough'

Published: Fri, May 13, 2011 @ 12:08 a.m.

City, cops draw flak at community summit

By David Skolnick

skolnick@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

Those attending a community summit on the city’s East Side complained about loud music, junkyards and the lack of vacant-building demolitions.

Many also said they are tired of being ignored by police and city administrators.

About 30 people were at Thursday’s event at the East Side branch of the Public Library of Youngstown & Mahoning County on Early Road.

“We’re ready to form a vigilante group with torches; we’ve had enough,” said Jackie Adair of the East Side. “We’ve picketed downtown. We’ve talked until we’re blue in the face. This is a level of frustration that I won’t deal with much longer.”

Adair said police have failed to respond to issues such as loud noise and junkyards in her neighborhood.

Councilwoman Janet Tarpley, D-6th, said she understood and shared some of Adair’s concerns.

“I’m frustrated too, and I’m disappointed,” Tarpley said. “I’m going to continue to fight. Maybe I need to run for mayor.”

Tarpley took aim at Mayor Jay Williams and his administration saying they ignore council members on hiring a park and recreation director and a city planner.

The administration has asked council — and most members have honored the request — to hold off on filling those positions because of the city’s financial condition.

The city planner position is vacant, but Jason Whitehead, the mayor’s chief of staff, has served as “acting” park director for the past four years with no additional pay.

Councilwoman Annie Gillam, D-1st, also complained about the administration’s ignoring council on hiring a park director, and criticized the police department for not addressing the “small things” such as people illegally parking on lawns.

Abdul Harris of the East Side, who organized the summit, complained that the city doesn’t demolish enough houses on his side of town.

“We have a lot of issues that we feel are going unresolved like crime, unrest in the schools, blight and decay,” Harris said.

Arlette Gatewood, a longtime community activist who lives on the East Side, said he was pleased to see young people at the summit who are interested in making a difference.

“One thing you need to do is register to vote,” he said. “Elected officials respect two things: money and votes and not necessarily in that order. Go to city council meetings and bring up issues.”

Comments

1sneaux49(11 comments)posted 3 years, 5 months ago

It's been that way for the Eastside forever. It's like it doesn't exist. Back as far as the sixties the Eastside was always last getting anything especially snow removal.. Potholes were always filled last. The Eastside could fall off the face of the earth and it would take the city a month to realize it.

2Lifes2Short(3877 comments)posted 3 years, 5 months ago

“We’re ready to form a vigilante group with torches; we’ve had enough,” said Jackie Adair of the East Side."

I really hope they do that. Maybe then the useless mayor will do something about the East side. Oh wait, look who I'm talking about, nevermind.

3redeye1(4559 comments)posted 3 years, 5 months ago

Hey Jay1981 Great post!!!!! This is typical Y-town thinking. They get everything else for free, so now they want more without working for it .It's the way they do things on the East side.

4mlisi39(47 comments)posted 3 years, 5 months ago

I've been calling for 2 summers about roving packs of dogs. The police always say they will be over. I'm yet to see any of them. I find it hard to believe we even have a dog catcher around this town. i've never seen him. I can't even take a walk without putting up with them. should i have to carry pepper spray or mace just to take a WALK IN MY OWN NEIGHBORHOOD???

Same thing happened when a neighborhood trouble maker that EVERYONE KNOWS thought it was a good idea to throw firecrackers at my kids. Made a phone call, no help at all.

Yet, as soon as I started a fire outside to do some s'mores 2 summers ago after a BBQ, I had a cruiser and a firetruck in my driveway within 5 minutes. I was forced to put it out and my family and friends couldn't understand. There was no explanation given. I was just told to put it out.

that's just how it is on the east side and no one really cares.

anyone else wants more stories, feel free to stop by... I could go all night.

5BrothaLove(81 comments)posted 3 years, 5 months ago

REDEYE 1 AND JAY1981

Both of you show ignorance to the highest level and are a prime example of exactly what is wrong with the Youngstown area. It is terribly presumptuous of you to say that these people do not contribute to the tax base. I would not be surprised if they contribute more than either of you beer swilling, backwoods troglodytes.

Also, if you had been following the story you would know that these good people have been tirelessly cleaning that area themselves and are now asking the city to do what it is suppose to do for its TAXPAYERS. It has been said many times before — it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth (or laptop) and remove all doubt...

6Freeatlast(1991 comments)posted 3 years, 5 months ago

Brothal ove Do not waste your time on these tea type of low life . Them and their kind are a lost cause. Just go and see a good movie and let then crawl in their own slime