Canfield schools to announce staff cuts

Published: Tue, May 10, 2011 @ 10:09 p.m.

CANFIELD

School board members met in executive session Tuesday to discuss some tough decisions they’re facing.

Superintendent Dante Zambrini said the board will have to decide among three options on the November election: Putting on an operational levy of the same millage as the May levy, putting on a levy of a different millage or not filing for the November election.

Treasurer Pattie Kesner said she would know of the filing deadlines for that election by today.

“November is a very critical point because if a levy doesn’t pass then, there will be no new revenue for 2012,” Zambrini said. “The board has to study what impact that would have.”

They’ll also have to decide which positions would be eliminated as part of phase two cuts for the district following last week’s levy vote.

“Now we have to put names to positions,” Zambrini said.

Those teachers and classified staff will learn of the layoffs before June 30, when the teachers’ contracts end.

Comments

1Philo(99 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

It's interesting that the Superintendent won't even acknowledge the fourth option......all of those well-paid employees of the Canfield School District could accept a modest wage and benefit concession to save their younger union brothers and sisters, who do not make nearly as much as they do anyway.

2piak(508 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Philo: Your fourth option is the most sensible of all.

Precisely because it is sensible, it won't happen!

Dedication to their profession is what they avow, but to take modest wage and benefit concessions to save their younger union brothers and sisters jobs and thus continue to look out for the real reason they are there, the teaching of their pupils, won't happen. Meaning: "dedication" has a price tag.

And they don't want the "stockholders" to sit in on the negotiations.

3George412(161 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

I don't have a dog in this fight, but an observation. It's always interesting to me that we talk about teachers taking cuts in terms of the altruism of the job: "they are there to teach, after all." But in what other profession are workers held to such high ethical standards and public scrutiny?

4UnionForever(1470 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Philo is oh so right! Wage freezes while step increases continue don't help the budget situation. The answer is real salary and benefit cuts that should be determined by the BOE to balance their Canfield budget.

5db(280 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

These hogs need reeled in; it's gonna take more than modest cuts before the school system's finances are fixed. Yesterday's Vindicator has an article about $5 million that Cleveland just paid to their teachers for unused sick & vacation days. They got paid at work and now get paid again for not being off. Ridiculous.

6ValleyNative(174 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Q: "Could we all just lower our salaries by 5% to save a few of our fellow teachers?"
A: "Hahahahhh!"

7ilovegracie(1 comment)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Wow, There are some really bitter people out there! I don't understand the need for sarcasm and mean-spiritedness. Why not just express your opinion without the offensive remarks? It really strikes me as vicious and turns me off immediately. I think more people would hear you out and consider what you have to say if it is done in an appropriate manner.

8Shoop21(1 comment)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

I really don't understand all the hate that goes toward teachers. I'm not saying that paying teachers more would bring better teachers to the profession, but teachers really aren't getting paid all that much as it is for as important a job as they have. The teachers in this area are well below the average of the rest of Ohio, especially given the caliber they are and education they have. I have no teachers in my family. I have no intention of ever being a teacher. I just would like to know how teachers became public enemy number one. Five years ago everyone was saying how it was such a shame that they get paid as little as they do. Now it's, and I heard my barber saying this with another man, "If I don't get a pension in my job, why should they get one with theirs?" Well, I'm all about taking pride in your job. I don't care if you're a dishwasher. I have to give you respect if you take pride in your job, but to bring someone else, who already doesn't have that much to begin with, down so you feel better is just pitiful. And no offense to my barber, but I find the job of a teacher a little more important then his. Education needs reform, absolutely. But cutting the pay of teachers or money to the school isn't the answer. But I'm sure you'll figure this out the hard way when your property value continues to drop further as the school's performance goes down. Now, I know Mr. Zambrini. I may not agree with all of the man's policies but his heart is fully in his job. To say that he is using typical political scare tactics means you are either ignorant or straight up dumb. But I guess this is what people do when they feel slighted. They look for the easiest target to complain about.