Western Reserve Community Church, 8590 Hitchcock Road, Boardman, is marking its 150th anniversary this year.
Early years: The church, first known as First Baptist Church of Youngstown, was organized in 1860 and established in 1861. Elmira Horner, later Mrs. George Young and a relative of John Young’s, founder of Youngstown, came to the area in October of 1842. She invited children to her home for Bible study and games.This activity was the forerunner of the church. William Ingersoll was the first pastor.
Locations: From 1861 to 1973, the church was in the downtown Youngstown area. In 1973, land was purchased and the church relocated to the corner of Western Reserve and Hitchcock roads. From 1973 to 2007, the church was an American Baptist church connected with the American Baptists of Ohio.
Changes: In 2007, Western Reserve Baptist Church changed its name to Western Reserve Community Church and became nondenominational. Web site: www.wrcommunitychurch.com.