Retiring Canfield math teacher hopes to divide time among family, education and Mickey D’s

Published: Mon, March 21, 2011 @ 12:06 a.m.

photo

The Vindicator (Youngstown)

Debbie Haverstock, a math teacher for 36 years at Canfield Village Middle School, is retiring at the end of this school year. She has used her ability to play trumpet and employed other unexpected teaching methods over the years. “I’m as crazy as seven graders,” she said.

By Kristine Gill

kgill@vindy.com

CANFIELD

Debbie Haverstock sees golden arches in her future.

“I’m going to follow some dreams,” said the Youngstown native and math teacher at Canfield Village Middle School.

Among them are becoming a pharmacy technician, spending time with her grandson and working at McDonald’s.

“I went to school in the 1960s, and my dad wouldn’t let me work,” she said. “School was my job. I always thought working at McDonald’s would be fun.”

Haverstock, 59, will have time to do just that once she retires in June after 36 years teaching math to middle school students.

“She’s been here a long time,” said seventh-grader Joey Ferraro.

Haverstock told her students about her retirement Wednesday.

“They were ready to party” Thursday, she said.

Though premature in this case, Haverstock loves to celebrate every occasion.

Her husband, a retired English teacher from Boardman schools, sends flowers to her classroom on her birthday each year, and she even tells students her age.

“We celebrate on my birthday, and I tell them they are to behave and have their homework done,” she said.

On the first day of school each year, she stands in front of the school as the buses arrive blaring Reveille on her trumpet. On the last day she plays taps as the final bus pulls away.

“I try to incorporate music,” she said. “I’m as crazy as seventh-graders are.”

She plays trumpet in Old North Church of Canfield’s brass band and the Canfield Community Concert Band.

On Thursday, she had her students memorize how to compute the circumference of a circle by singing the formula to the tune of Kumbaya.

“You guys laugh at me now, but I hear students humming this during the tests,” she said.

Having a sense of humor helps students learn difficult math concepts and keeps her sane, she said.

“With her it’s easy,” said student Grace Blasko.

“She just has a great way of teaching,” said student Victoria Pacheco.

A graduate of Westminster College and Kent State University, Haverstock was a track and cheerleading coach for Canfield for several years.

She is the adviser for two math groups: TAPS, Team Approach to Problem Solving and Math Counts, a group through the National Engineering Association. In 2009, she was the district’s recipient for the teacher of the year award through the Ohio Council of Teachers of Mathematics.

Haverstock has co-taught with fellow math teacher Diane Tirak since 1992.

“She has a great sense of humor,” Tirak added. “She says if you’re going to teach this grade, you have to laugh.”

Though she’s going to miss her students, Haverstock is looking forward to possibly serving french fries and tackling whatever new venture comes her way.

“I’ve loved this job for 36 years,” she said. “I’m excited to start a new chapter.”

Comments

1assiseeit(36 comments)posted 3 years ago

Hey Debbie... "Would you like fries with that?" CONGRATULATIONS on your retirement!!!

2redvert(2005 comments)posted 3 years ago

As some of your students have stated, you make it fun to learn, best of luck to you!

3DOLE2(594 comments)posted 3 years ago

Great,take a position from my grand kids while you collect a $80,000 pension...

4Realist(61 comments)posted 3 years ago

Way to have your grandkids shoot for the stars Dole!

5DOLE2(594 comments)posted 3 years ago

They need a part time job while going to school to be teachers,so when they retire they can take a job from their students.

6Realist(61 comments)posted 3 years ago

Don't justify your ridiculous comment. Your very envious of this teacher and feel the need to bash her to make yourself feel better. Correct?

7Marksbro(2 comments)posted 3 years ago

I feel your pain, Dole...with only 3,318 retail establishments in the area, I'm sure they will have a difficult time.

8MLC75(500 comments)posted 3 years ago

@Dole get a life and stop bashing Ms.Haverstock.I hope your grand kids aren't a loser like you.

9my2sense(8 comments)posted 3 years ago

Canfield cut 14 teaching positions for next year. Every teacher like Mrs. H that retires means one young teacher doesn't get laid off, and saves school district $ in the long run. Another added benefit: at least one Mickey D's employee that can actually count you change correctly ;-)

10DOLE2(594 comments)posted 3 years ago

JUST RETIRE OK? go volunteer or double-dip like all your union brothers and sisters...

11Realist(61 comments)posted 3 years ago

Ahh,Yet again Dole comes with another unintelligent comment about something they have no idea about. Dole, please explain to me how douple-dipping affects the local school districts finances? I'll wait for you to just post someone elses thoughts without doing some research and getting any facts.
Go Ahead.