Poland residents trying to form association

By Ashley Luthern



Residents of the water-logged Canterbury development are trying to form a neighborhood association to address flooding problems.

Jack Walters of Cobblers Run addressed the Poland Township trustees at their Tuesday meeting. Walters said he has three sump pumps, but they cannot handle the effects of three 15-foot-wide, 3-foot-deep streams in his backyard that form during heavy rain.

He said the streams are primarily caused by the detention pond that is in his and several of his neighbors’ backyards. A detention pond collects water during storms and once filled, it releases that water to storm sewers and drainage systems.

He told the trustees that it’s clogged with debris, such as a laundry basket and sports equipment, and wanted to know what he was permitted to do to clean the area.

“It’s private property. You can go on your property, and you’ll need your neighbors’ permission to do what you want to do” if it’s on their property, said township Administrator Jim Scharville.

Walters said he will lead efforts to clear it out, and that the flooding affects the entire Canterbury neighborhood either directly with water problems or indirectly by lowering property values because of a reputation of flooding.

“I’m looking at getting an association to together and coming up with the money” to fix flooding problems, he added.

Scharville said the township building on Dobbins Road is always available for resident groups to use for meetings.

Trustee Robert J. Lidle Jr. said the flooding complaints are common, especially from that particular development, and that the township has tried to work with county officials and private residents for solutions.

“We’ve been dealing with it for a long time,” he said.

During the meeting, Lidle also mentioned residents have complained about potholes. He advised residents to call the township when they see a large pothole.

If it’s a township road, the road department will take care of it as soon as possible, and if it’s a county or state road, the resident will be advised of the entity responsible for the road, he said.

Subscribe Today

Sign up for our email newsletter to receive daily news.

Want more? Click here to subscribe to either the Print or Digital Editions.