Ice blamed for Tippecanoe Road accident

Published: Mon, March 7, 2011 @ 5:18 p.m.

BOARDMAN

The Ohio State Highway Patrol said that black ice was likely a factor in a Monday morning car accident on Tippecanoe Road, less than one mile south of U.S. Route 224.

A vehicle rolled over around 8 a.m. Monday, and the 37-year-old female driver was extracted from the vehicle and taken to a hospital, firefighters said.

Three other accidents were reported in that area during a 10-hour period beginning late Sunday and ending Monday morning.

Comments

1fd6636(255 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

The accident on tippy this morning.......... I DID NOT SEE HUMAN RESOURCES ON THE SCENE. I DIDNOT SEE CEO'S OF SOME "PRIVATE" SECTOR COMPANY THERE. NOR DID I SEE ANY PRIVATE SECTOR "SUITS" THERE. YOU WANNA KNOW WHO I SAW RENDERING AID, AND USING THE JAWS OF LIFE TO FREE THE OCCUPANTS OF THE VEHICLE: FIRE FIGHTERS, AND POLICE OFFICERS!! YES! PUBLIC WORKERS!!! HOLY SH##!!! YEP, THATS WHAT WE GET PAID FOR, AND THATS WHAT WE DO. I WONDER IF THOSE EXTRICATED WERE "TEA BAGGERS??? HOPE NOT. SEE, THOSE WHO BASH US AND SAY WERE "TOO EXPENSIVE" MIGHT NEED US TROUGH EATING RIP OFFS OF PUBLIC EMPLOYEES TO GET THEM OUT OF TROUBLE ONE DAY, AND I BET WAGES AND BENEFITS WONT BE MENTIONED THEN WILL THEY??????? SHAME ON THOSE WHO DEGRADE, INSULT AND TURN THEIR BACKS ON THE FINE SAFETY FORCES THAT OUR STATE HAS TO OFFER. LETS REPLACE THEM WITH "TEA BAGGERS". BETTER YET. LETS NOT. THEY DONT HAVE THE STONES TO DO WHAT WE DO. THEY WORRY ABOUT PRICE BEFORE SAFETY. YOU DONT THINK SO??? YOU WILL SEE THEM IN COLUMBUS SUPPORTING 5.

2Freeatlast(1991 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

This what you FOOLS voted for NO TAX ,NO Service . Layoff off all the workers . FOOLS

3Wakeup722(37 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Fd6636...great posting! Thank you to all firefighters and police. I have the utmost respect for them. They put their lives on the line to save lives and they don't care if you are a public or a private sector employee. I am a public employee and go above and beyond my duty. Oh and I am also a taxpayer.

4redvert(2064 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

fd6636, these police and firefighters were doing what they are paid to do. So what is your point?

5cashmoney(7 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

There is no money on a life. And many police and fire have given up a lot in order to protect and serve. And all the while taking cuts and concessions, only to be hit with more disrespect.

It really is a shame that many people have such little respect for the job...

6fd6636(255 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

This IS the point that im making. we are there for you!!! When the bell hit, union sh##, wages and everything else goes out the window, and the focus is the job, be it a fire, ems call or a rescue such as today's. WE, repeat, WE are the ones who seperate chaos from sanity. WE are the ones other people call when there out of answers, and WE have responded to the calls from our city and township fathers and took cuts, picked up increased insurance payments. My point also is that we dont work in the "office", our office is the street. dont bother, you wouldn't understand. you can't expect public safety workers to adhere to "office rules" its not gonna work. the "office" rules that sb 5 propose will gut out the ranks out in lieu of the lower paid, less experenced worker who might not have the experence, and maybe a similar out come such as todays success might have had a different outcome. I cant stand someone like these radical tea baggers telling me whats good for me when they haven't come close to doing our job, and it completely fries me when these "defenders of taxpayers" try to imply that i dont care about the public i serve!!! BS. THIS my friend, is the point Im trying to make. and by the way, I also pay taxes!! Every benefit that the public in general have enjoyed over decades have come about due to unions and bargining. you know them, so do I. Do i think reform is in order to match the failing ecomony? yes. BUT, the remedy is NOT repeat NOT SB5. THEY CAN DO BETTER THAN THAT, AND THEY KNOW IT!

7tonne(199 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

i appreciate everything our regular safety forces do and sacrifice for us. however, after they've made their bones, so to speak, they are indeed paid well for what they do. nowhere in any of these discussions of SB5 have i seen mention of a group of people who do the same thing for next to nothing, i.e., the volunteer firefighter/emt personnel who serve many of our smaller communities. they train vigorously and are state certified just like regular firefighters/emts, but they are paid by the call. in our community, that comes to a meager $3 per run. they are there when our homes, fields and barns burn. they are there when vehicles crash. they are there when someone has chest pains, takes an overdose, or tumbles down the stairs. they do everything regular firefighters/emts do, including wield the Jaws of Life, yet enjoy neither decent pay nor union benefits. if you want to sing the praises of real heroes, sing for them.

8JazzyB(2 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

All of these people that have comments about what police and fire make probably don't even know what they make starting out. A firefighter and a policeman in the city of Youngstown or Boardman make about 24,000 a year for the first 3 to 5 years and over the last few years they have been making consessions on wages and benefits and some have even been laid off after making the sacrifice to go to fire school or the police academy. I doubt very seriously any of you talking crap would run into a burning building or stare down an armed criminal for 24,000 a year which roughly equals about $12 an hour. If you still think they deserve less they should let your house burn down with you in it. They don't do it nessisarily for the money they do it to help people and they deserve to get paid for putting thier lives on the line. And in case there was any question I am the proud family member of policemen and firemen

9JazzyB(2 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Oh and also that guy talking about the volunteer fire department not saying thier service is of any less value but most places that have vounteer departments don't have a large population and don't make runs all the time. Most of them have other jobs that they get paid for. and they might make 1 or 2 runs a week. The larger cities with a paid force get 1 or 2 calls a night if not more

10AugieTx(15 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

FD? I'll take up very little space with this comment, so as to give you more room for your grandstanding and self-congratulatory rants. All yours!

11lowe_(1 comment)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

The middle class should be bonding together to make our lives better...not tearing our class apart. The rich folks must be so happy to see us making each other miserable and using all of our energies to hurt one another. This "race to the bottom" is detrimental to our class. What kind of future will our children and grandchildren have if we keep hurting each other based on our jealousies of what we don't have that others have....?
I saw all of the public employees there this morning trying to help the accident victim. Thank you policemen, fire fighters and rescue personnel....You earn your money...

12ttup1rd(27 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

I am also a public employee about to lose everything, I commend everyone who helped that accident victim, but it probably could have been prevented if we the road department were called out to salt the roads, instead the county is trying to save money on overtime, yet gave EVERYONE in management a $3 to $6 an hour raise. the county union members have been taking a hit for years, we had 137 union employees at one time and we now have 42 but yet management has close to 30 people all recieving large raises. If you think the roads are bad now its only going to get worse....

13Richmond(15 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

This is a response back to fd6636 first comment. Did the victim in this case have a tea party bumper sticker or a tea party tat? Why such hatred toward the victim and the rest of us that you assume are proponents of SB5? The victim didn't sign up to be rescued, you and/or the public employees you speak of signed up for their job. It is no secret that the jobs of our resuce folks go way too unrecognized and their services and talents are underpaid. However, picking battles with everyone is not the way to fix this issue. Because it is comments like yours which attack the benefactors as well as the supporters of your services, and will turn us against you as well. Remember, safety force members took an oath to serve, the rest of us are not under any oath to support you. So don't chase away our support for you and the respect that we have for the jobs that you do with these types of posts. We all really need each other to defeat this terrible idea/bill.

14fd6636(255 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

don't take me to the volunteer discussion!! our volunteer brothers and sisters do have their place in society in communities that have small budgets, and few runs, and it works well in their communities. good bless. in LARGER communities with a larger population and a commerical/industrial base, a consistant, quick response is not only needed, its REQUIRED to keep a small problem from becomming a much larger problem. you the tax payer not only expects this, you demand this, and we know it. its not "grandstanding" augie, its fact. are their abusers? sure. even in the "private" sector, there are idiots, human nature, but most safety workers do the job, and I'm proud of them!!!! and by the way, it is not fair to the paid public safety forces to be pitted against the volunteer force, and vise versa. each has their own purpose and sets of standards, and turning those against each other is plain shi#!!!

15fd6636(255 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

richmond. I've read my post, andI think that I have put this in the wrong perspective, and I agree with you. I did not mean to offend the rescued, and for that I appoligize. we did take an oath, and I am proud to serve. I also feel that the attacks on the teachers and safety forces are uncalled for, disrespectful, and hurtful to all who serve. I pay taxes too!! We understand the ecomony. public workers are not stupid. thanks for pointing this out to me. sometimes anger gets in the way when typing. If this bill goes thru, safety in communities affected by this decision will be affected greatly on a negitive scale. back to the purpose of this article. great job boardman pd, and fd. you performed you job well. we are proud!!

16Richmond(15 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago