Without levy passage, look for additional cuts in Canfield schools, leaders say


By kristine gill

kgill@vindy.com

canfield

School officials say voters must pass the district’s May levy to avoid more cuts and layoffs like the ones announced last month.

The school board announced 25 layoffs and the discontinuation of busing for high school students effective Sept. 1 as the first phase of cuts.

Superintendent Dante Zambrini will announce phase two of possible cuts should the May levy fail at the March 16 board meeting.

A committee of more than 30 parents and teacher volunteers met Thursday to start campaigning. The school board has also scheduled four town hall meetings for March and April to inform voters.

“Before it was kind of generalizations,” said Laura Ward, a parent on the committee with two current students. “But people who live in Canfield support the schools and if they know that a ‘no’ vote on the levy will result in these specific cuts, at least they can make an educated vote. We don’t want to put fear into people; we want them to know the consequences.”

Laura’s husband Bob Ward is also a committee member and agreed the cuts have raised more questions among voters.

“It’s made people ask the obvious question: Where has the money gone?,” he said. “The misperception is that it’s a spending problem, but it’s an income problem ... Canfield is one of the most thrifty districts in the state.”

Staff cuts will save an estimated $1.2 million and will be permanent.

Read the full story Monday in The Vindicator and on Vindy.com

Don't Miss a Story

Sign up for our newsletter to receive daily news directly in your inbox.