Second arson in two days destroys Austintown bar

Published: Sat, March 5, 2011 @ 12:08 a.m.

By Elise Franco

efranco@vindy.com

Austintown

Whoever set fire to a township bar Wednesday came back to finish the job early Friday, Fire Chief Andy Frost Jr. said.

For the second time in less than a week, fire was set to Rumors Lounge, 104 N. Meridian Road. Though the first fire caused about $45,000 in damage to the vacant second-floor apartment, Friday’s fire left the bar a total loss, Frost said.

Fire crews arrived at Rumors at about 4:15 a.m. Friday, but Frost said it’s likely the fire was burning for a while before anyone noticed and called it in.

“We knocked the fire down in probably 25 minutes, but we had some troubles because the roof caved in early on,” he said. “It had probably been burning for some time.” Frost said in both cases, someone broke into the building and spread flammable liquid around the apartment before setting it on fire.

“We definitely feel this was a set fire,” he said. “Someone probably kicked the door in.”

The chief said the bar’s owner was at the site early Friday morning and was “beside himself.”

The Mahoning County Auditor’s Office lists Saadeh Bros. LLC, of Brookfield, as the property owner.

Attempts to reach the bar’s owner and manager were unsuccessful Friday afternoon.

The total market value on the property, which is in good financial standing, is $61,300 according to the auditor’s office.

Frost said Austintown police, the state fire marshal’s office and the Criminal Bureau of Identification and Investigation are assisting with the investigation.

Comments

1gypsygirl720(186 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

~~~AGREE!! ^^^ Sounds WAY too FISHY to me__.

2kyle552(6 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

lol i would say the next course of action is to offer a sizable reward they know will never be paid to thwart suspicion away...next the austintown cops should have checkpoints around gossip to raise money in terms of dui taxes....lets face it...the 18 year olds in gossip cant hold their booze and the couple times i been there, the people that left when i did were in no condition to drive....

3nipsy(133 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Any time there is an attempted arson on any building,be it a house or business, that fails to totally destroy the place the first time, then their should be video survielance set up on the building because it seems to me that they always end up coming back to finish the job.

4justonevoice(94 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

I don't believe it was "done for the insurance". The young man who owns that bar has had some troubles however, that was in the past. He's a hard working kid and doesn't deserve the innuendo. I personally know of an older woman who was friends of his family, he didn't know her but heard she needed help moving and had no one to help her and couldn't afford to pay anyone and he and several of his friends showed up and moved her whole house. He wouldn't accept a dime and told her that people had helped him when he was down in the past and he was repaying that. I just thought that was a really,really nice and selfless thing to do.

Just thought i'd offer another view of this young man.

5rmzrez(114 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Carlstaatz you are so full of crack your eyes are white . You have no idea what your taking about . And if you do and you have not gone to the cops then you should be in jail .

6redvert(2064 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Has he had any problems around the bar lately where he had to evict any patrons. That is the first place I would look.

7USNBOY(76 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

I have known the owner presonally for the last 15 years if not longer. That bar was his "baby". All of you people are just like the rest of the them around here "you back them 100% until something bad happens then you are all haters because you are all jealous". Just like with Kelly. Most of you probably dont even know him personally. That man would give you the shirt off his back if he knew you needed it. you should all be a shamed of yourselves for talking about him like that. you are all cowards because if you would get off your unemployed butts and say this stuff to him or friends of his because you'd probably get what is coming to you.

8cbrandon(22 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Brent Furrie: http://courts.mahoningcountyoh.gov/pa...

He has an assault that is still open, other assaults including FELONIOUS, obstructing official business, possessing criminal tools, receiving stolen property, criminal damaging,

Yeah, he definitely didn't either have the building torched down or really tick someone off...

9Drewbrew(1 comment)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

I was in the the house Brent Furrie Feloniously assaulted. More like attempted Murder. A bullet went through the front of my house 2-3 feet from where I was sleeping. So dont be so quick to defend this guy. He aint no good, it just so happened he fell ass backward into a buisness venture and couldnt handle his patrons.

10USNBOY(76 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

I'm not saying he's never done anything wrong. We all have at one point or another. Some more serious than otthers. I'm saying hes never done anything wrong to me.

Brent, unlike these fake, broke, unemployed, bottom feeders around here. I still got your back. I hope you rebuild and be even more of a success. I'm still in your corner bud.

11nojimbo(223 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

cbrandon, thanks for sharing the court history.

makes me wonder how I've made it through 5 decades without an arrest. oh that's right, I obey the law and don't do anything really stupid.

in looking at the rap sheet, who could possibly care what happens to this guy's bar?

12jenned6017(2 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Well for one I care what happens to him and his bar... He has always been a great guy to me and around me. Like Usnboy said we all have done bad things in life. Most of you posting about him don't even know the guy so who are you to past judgement. Last I looked I lived in America "innocent untill proven guilty" but antmore I think Youngstown is above that. So they think, take a good look into your own life before you pick apart other's life. Brent is a great guy and if it wasn't for him I don't know where I would be... Thanks again Brent!!!