Tea Party group supports collective bargaining bill

Published: Thu, March 3, 2011 @ 12:09 a.m.

By Marc Kovac

news@vindy.com

COLUMBUS

Harvey McClary pointed to the sky between a couple of tall buildings near the Statehouse on Wednesday, just as an airplane passed overhead.

Trailing was a banner, paid for by Portage County Tea Party members, he said, showing their support of sweeping reforms to the state’s collective bargaining laws.

“Now, the state workers are making more money than the people that are paying them,” he said. “The people that are paying them are working for $11, $12 an hour and they’re making way more with better benefits. The whole thing’s upside down.”

McClary, a Diamond resident, is a retired autoworker and union member of more than 50 years. But unlike the other union representatives who have rallied at the Statehouse in recent weeks, McClary is backing Senate Bill 5.

“The fact of it is, schoolteachers and civil-service workers are holding our state hostage and the children hostage,” he said. “Teachers can get an honest living without having to have a union to get it.”

McClary was among the dozens of representatives of Tea Party groups who held a mini-rally at the Statehouse Wednesday.

They and other proponents of the legislation have called for the changes to help the state and local governments better control their costs and reduce spending, particularly in light of an estimated $8 billion hole in the coming biennial budget.

“Collective bargaining, among other tools, is a way to bind the hands of our elected and other officials and prevent them from making decisions which they’re afraid would be arbitrary or unfair,” said Ted Lacksonen, a photographer and writer from Gambier. “Unfortunately, the cost of the process to go through the bargaining ... has created an incredibly inflexible and expensive form of government.”

Videos from Columbus on March 2 and 3, 2011:

Comments

1Attis(879 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

The Koch brothers, the billionaires who created this right wing outfit, are laughing all the way to the bank while fools like Harvey and Ted spew out their lies designed to pave the way for fascism in America.

2jethead11(139 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

I'm glad to see that grown-ups are finally in charge in Ohio. Is right to work next?

3Constructor(105 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

People like McClary already got 'theirs' and now want to deny others. Greedy hypocrite.

4dd933(229 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

SO, now the elected & other officials won't have to be afraid to make decisions which are arbitrary and/or unfair.

5Fattkidd(45 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Typical Hypocrite... I'll bet he never complained about the nice living wage, full benefits and pension he received from GM/UAW. He probably never had to pay a dime for his healthcare nor have a co-payment to make.

What a freaking turd.

I'm sure he thinks he deserves every penny he made and still makes from belonging to a strong union.

People like this make me wanna puke.

6PHISHIE(105 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Ok
Sounds Good. Hopefully, the governor will continue his fine work. The important thing, is now that the controversial bill is going to pass time to get that budget balanced.....PHISHIE

7Fattkidd(45 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

So, Harvey... what private sector college grads do you know that make $11 to $12 per hour?

None. That's who. You're a liar and a misinformer and you've obviously drank the Koch Brother's Kool-Aid.

Why don't you take a look at the budgets and the student performance of the 5 states that have to collective bargaining for their public employees.

I'll help you out... they're all broke too and they are at the bottom of the scale when it comes to educating their kids.

Why do you hate your fellow working class citizens so much? Why do you hate the kids of Ohio so much? Why do you want to emulate what Mississippi and Texas are doing? Those states are the most backward, uneducated, poor and polluted states in the nation.

I'll tell you what Harvey, you give up your pension and health benefits first and maybe the public employees will think about giving some of theirs up as well. Lead by example and quit being such a two-faced hypocrite.

Ohio has just leapt into the lead to the bottom of the barrel of the USofA. Congrats Republicans/Teabaggers!

8Realist(62 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

"McClary, a Diamond resident, is a retired autoworker and union member of more than 50 years"

I laughed our loud when I read this part of the article. If this isn't the pot calling the kettle black then I don't know what is.

I've said it before and I will say it again - jealousy.

9CountryThinker(2 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

@Attis: I am the Ted you call a "fool." In the first instance I did not "spew lies" to Mr. Kovac, as I believe what I told him. You may think I'm wrong, but I wasn't lying.

Second, I'm a libertarian, so I'm about as far from a fascist as you can get.

10CountryThinker(2 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

@dd933: If Mr. Kovac had published m my complete statement you would have seen that I said there are other ways to deal with arbitrary decision making by authorities that are less expensive and inefficient than collective bargaining.

If you're interested in reading further on the subject let me suggest Life Without Lawyers or Collapse of the Common Good by legal reform advocate Philip K. Howard, and focus on his analysis of civil service.

11fattynskinny(195 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

fixing medicare and medicaid should be the top priority. i have seen first hand how certain administrative people in mahoning county flat out lie and abuse the system. there is so much fraud going on and they are in on it as much as the hoodlums that collect benefits and shouldn't be getting anything. to know that our tax dollars pay these county workers wages makes me sick.

12mrtb74(14 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Hey republicans where are the jobs you campainged on?

13walter_sobchak(1910 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Elections have consequences. If the unions don't like this law, circulate petitions and put it up for a referendum vote of the people. But, I must say, Abe Lincoln is looking really good nowadays!

14Freeatlast(1991 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

WOW is that something TEA=KKK and so is anybody who supporst them