Adduci: Taxpayers share my outrage

Published: Thu, June 30, 2011 @ 12:08 a.m.

BY Jordan Cohen

news@vindy.com

NILES

Retiring school Superintendent Rocco Adduci said he has received “nothing but support” from callers after his criticism of the board of education for the contract it approved with his successor, Mark Robinson.

“I’ve had around 12 calls this morning, and every single one of them has supported me,” Adduci said Wednesday. “Not a single caller criticized me.”

Adduci, who retires July 31, released an email he sent to all five board members Tuesday in which he called their contract with Robinson “outrageous” and warned of its “ominous consequences” for Niles schools.

Robinson’s contract contains a base pay of $106,500, goal incentive and ancillary pays that would increase his salary to $120,000 after his first month. It also has additional salary increases should the state prohibit the board from paying Robinson’s employee contributions to Medicare and the State Teachers Retirement System.

Adduci’s base pay is $91,860, and his contract does not contain goal incentives or ancillary pay.

“Some of the callers were teachers and administrators, but many were private citizens,” Adduci said. “One of them told me ‘thanks for sticking up for taxpayers.’”

Adduci said he hasn’t been contacted by any of the board members and declined to speculate whether the board might take action against him because of his public criticism. The board, which has not responded to requests for comment, meets this evening at 6 at Rhodes Elementary School.

There could be a large turnout.

“I sent an email to all the membership inviting them to show up,” said Mary Ann McMahon, president of the 180-member Niles Classroom Teachers Association. The NCTA, the teachers union, is negotiating with the district on a new contract to replace its agreement that expires Aug. 28.

The board traditionally includes time for public comments in its meeting agenda. McMahon said she did not know if any of the teachers will address the board at that time about either the Robinson contract or the status of negotiations.

Comments

1Photoman(953 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

Looks like Niles is just loaded with money and the board is willing to give it all away so, go NCTA, take as much as you can. Don't worry about backlash as the taxpayers obviously don't mind paying more.

2Realist(61 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

Wow! Somebody seems pretty upset about not being paid as much as his replacement. I wonder if he would have turned down that contract "for the good of the taxpayers"?

3paulparks(235 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

I believe Mr. Aducci had no business interfering with the new superintendent's contract. It seems to me that he was forced to retire and is now "getting back" at the school board.

Give the BOE some credit. There is more than what meets the eye here.

4tonne(199 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

Yeah, there's more than meets the eye here, about $30,000 a year more it would seem. True Mr. Adduci's complaint seems like sour grapes, but I don't have a problem with asking the Board to justify its actions. As for teachers being a dime a dozen, that ceraiinly makes it clear where you stand.

5stewie(108 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

It is for reasons like this we need s.b.5
These boards have no consideration for the tax payers!

6VINDYAK(1799 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

I would not be against paying someone $120,000 if it meant our children would be getting an upper tier education, but I have lost confidence in the way our children are being taught today.

In addition, despite my wife and I having over 14 years of combined college education, we have seen our household income fall substantially due to economic conditions. Today's reality is, these are sensitive times. Now is not the time to be throwing around large 6 figure salaries to candidates right in front of the voters who will be paying those salaries.

7AnotherAverageCitizen(1172 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

Paul

The hypocrisy on this board amazes me once again.

FREE RETIREMENT AND BENNIES and you support it. ????

It amazes me when one makes $120,000 you can support him. But when a teacher with a Masters degree makes halve that wage you say they are way overpaid. I wil rest easy knowing YOU think this guy is worht every penny. A guaranteed $9,400 raise before he even starts his job. In this economic times. Give me a break. If a teacher as you say is a dime a dozen then a superintendent is 12cents.

By the way sb5 would not stop this from going on.

BYE BYE sb5

8300(552 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

I think it's fairly obvious by Paulpark's post, that he's simply someone who can't be reasoned with. The good-ole-boy's mindset, and his clear disdain for everyone who's not in a leadership role ensure that he'll nearly always be on the irrational side of the debate.

The irony is that he pretends to be for honesty and truth, but he's just someone who believes that if you've got the power then you deserved all of it, all the time, and everyone else is a peon.

He would've made a great Tory back in the late 18th century.

9taxpayer1001(274 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

adandrews,
You may very well have good input into these conversations, but I feel compelled to tell you you're messages are very hard to read. You are not on facebook or talking to your buddies. I tend to skip over yours because they are more trouble to read than they are worth. Not being mean, but I'm sure many others feels the same since I have seen others tell you. And considering we are discussing education so much right now, that does show a lack of it when you can't type out real words.

10grand4dad(188 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

paulparks,
your previous posts indicate you have a real disdain for the public workers, especially teachers and that you support SB5 as necessary to rein in the public workers. you've said in other posts"cut everybody from the top down 10% in salary", "public workers have it too good for our money", "there will always be lazy people to work in the public sector", and "the public sector works blissfully to make a 'killing' (in retirement, perks, bennies)". But you have no problem with THIS public worker (yes, the superintendent is a public worker!) getting a $9,000+ raise after one month (and this is guaranteed even before he works 1 day at this job!), you have no problem with his much higher salary ("Also, I think you get what you pay for with superintendents. (They aren't a "dime a dozen," like teachers.) I'm sure Mr. Robinson is worth every penny he is getting paid.") and you apparently have no problem with the BOE guaranteeing him an additional 10% increase in his salary if God forbid SB5 is passed and they aren't permitted legally to pick up his employee contribution of the pension. All that is OK for this public worker???? I guess I see where you're coming from. SB5 is needed to crush the unions. They are the problem for all our financial woes in Ohio. But let's continue to permit all these outrageous perks and bennies for administrative employees that you HATE any lowly public worker (especially a teacher) getting. These administrators are the people "feeding at the public trough" with "cadillac pensions". The average public workers are just like the rest of us, trying to make a living. Vote to repeal SB5!