Youngstown cops have leads in Chaney student's killing

Published: Tue, June 21, 2011 @ 12:00 a.m.

photo

Brandon Adkins

photo

John R. Swierz, left, Youngstown’s 7th Ward councilman, takes part in the I.C.U. Block Watch meeting, which took place Monday night at The Metro Assembly of God youth facility on South Avenue. The weekend killing of a city teenager dominated the discussions at the meeting.

photo

Jajuan Adkins-Holland, 20, of Youngstown is the cousin of 16-year-old victim Brandon Adkins, a Chaney High School sophomore who was shot and killed late Saturday night on South Avenue. Adkins-Holland spoke Monday night at a meeting of the I.C.U. Block Watch, one of 14 block-watch programs in the 7th Ward.

Youngstown police have leads in killing of Chaney High sophomore

By ROBERT GUTTERSOHN

and John W. Goodwin Jr.

news@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

Relatives of a 16-year-old shot to death Saturday night on South Avenue paid tribute to the victim Monday and asked the I.C.U. Block Watch and the community to help raise money for his funeral.

Brandon Adkins, of 372 E. Philadelphia Ave., was found by police gunned down in the driveway of a house at 3124 South Ave., surrounded by a large crowd. He was pronounced dead by paramedics.

Police are following leads and hope to arrest a suspect by the weekend in the killing of the Chaney High School sophomore.

The Mahoning County Coroner’s Office conducted an autopsy on Adkins on Monday, revealing that he died of a gunshot wound to the back and a gunshot wound to the abdomen.

In the Metro Assembly of God youth facility where the block-watch meeting took place Monday night, Jajuan Adkins-Holland, cousin of the victim, described his close relationship with Brandon.

“He was like a brother and a best friend. He was somebody you’d always want around you.”

Family friend Rachel Raver told those attending that it would cost $5,000 to bury Adkins.

A resident of the South Avenue home where Adkins was found told police she was awakened by several gunshots and came downstairs to find Adkins in the driveway.

Officers did not get a response from anyone in the crowd when they asked for witnesses. People at the scene, however, did tell police that Adkins had been “beefing” with several other males who spent time around a neighborhood store.

Capt. Rod Foley said police believe a previous altercation may have led to the shooting. He would not say what that altercation involved, but said police are looking into it.

“Over the last 48 hours we have made some serious progress in this case, and we have a few things we are working on today, so hopefully we have enough to make an arrest here by the end of the week,” said Foley.

But for the family, there are still questions.

“Every time I walk down South Avenue, I see a police officer,” Adkins-Holland said. “I just don’t understand why they weren’t riding around then.”

Brandon Adkins was “a great godson,” said Carlton Lillard, Adkins’ godfather. “This kid was turning his life around.”

The family is planning a fund- raiser car wash at Step It Up Cuts on South Avenue. Also, donations can be made to Washington Funeral Home, 2234 Glenwood Ave.

The 3124 South Ave. address where Adkins was found is the address of a teen arrested for murder in 2010.

Police say Danny Williams, 15, of the South Avenue address, pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter charges in juvenile court in the August shooting of 17-year-old Terrance T. Howard, a cousin to Adkins.

“He had R.I.P. Terrence tattooed on his arm,” Adkins- Holland said. “They were like best friends.”

According to police reports, officers were sent to the area of Lucius Avenue, Cottage Grove and Hilton Avenue on Aug. 29, 2010, for several juveniles fighting after a teen party on Lucius Avenue. Police say Howard was shot in the chest during the melee and managed to run away before collapsing behind a large bush on East Ravenwood.

Comments

1UnionForever(1470 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

"The kid was turning his life around" - yea he was well on his way to being another Youngstown Hoodrat gang banger!

2Lifes2Short(3875 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

Another excuse. Not that just "maybe" Brandon was a little in over his head. So now the police have to babysit the area 24/7 and be at the exact spot when someone shoots.

"Officers did not get a response from anyone in the crowd when they asked for witnesses."

Not surprised.

“This kid was turning his life around.”

My God, only 16.

3Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

"Officers did not get a response from anyone in the crowd when they asked for witnesses. "

In a culture where life has little value they see killing as no big deal . The killers have the power in the hood and are looked up to .

4doowoptokidrock(325 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

They want the community to pay for his burial. Good luck with that. Why should the community pay for the result of stupidity.

5VINDYAK(1799 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

No one wants to point a finger at anyone else because it is against the neighborhood rules to rat on someone to the police. The polise is the enemy. You don't turn in a brother to the polise.

As long as this mentality continues, you will see more and more violence. I'm sorry South Ave., but you are reaping what you have sown.

6Freeatlast(1991 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

Bring the Guard in . We must stop this before the whole dam breaks into Boardman . I think the taxpayers should buy everybody who wants one a Gun in Boardman.

7Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

My guess is that this was a power struggle in the hood . The killer was exercising his superiority .

8Ianacek(890 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

I see Stan has used that loaded word "culture" again .

Of course, he didn't use this word when commenting today on a baroom fight in Struthers where the participants were white .

9Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

Well lanacek those young boys were eager to spend their money at the bar . The SouthSide culture is more about killing and stealing . You have to learn to pay attention and do some thinking . Thanks for informing me that they were white . I didn't know . Let's double up on the fines and jail time for them . They should have known better . There may be some hope if they feel the pain .

10borylie(768 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

Now all the rhetoric starts from the block watchers and the council members. Same ol crap everytime there's a murder. Yet no one identifies in my opinion the root cause.

Unwed mothers and teenage mommies are the reasons that these kids start off in life way behind children in two parent homes and educated,more mature mothers.

And before any of the bleeding heart liberals on these boards ask me what I've ever done to"help solve the problem",I'll tell you what I won't do. Put condoms on the boys who could care less if they can support a child,nor will I go door to door telling young girls to stay off their backs till they can properly raise a child.

I'd hope the church and the community leaders will do this instead of hoping to get some pub by saying what sounds good.

11Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

"Put condoms on the boys who could care less if they can support a child,nor will I go door to door telling young girls to stay off their backs till they can properly raise a child."

OUCH ! Now that is harsh ! Perhaps we could hire social workers to police the hood 24/7 going from door to door ?

12walter_sobchak(1847 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

Once again, a shooting and murder, a large crowd of people, but no one saw anything. What we will see will be another shooting this weekend as retribution for this shooting. As Stan says, this is how things are done in the hood.

13Freeatlast(1991 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

Borylie You got it right . But we also need the DNA mark all males in the country so we will know for sure who the Daddy is . And make him pay

14Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

Freeatlast :

"But we also need the DNA mark all males in the country so we will know for sure who the Daddy is ."

15darcycarter(10 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

My thoughts are that people should not comment on subjects they know nothing about. They live in Boardman and surrounding areas and sit behind their computer and pass judgment on people they know nothing about. At the end of the day there is a mother grieving the lost of her child. For whatever reason she lost her child! So calling him names such as a "Youngstown Hoodrat gang banger" or insinuating that asking the community to help pay for the funeral as a result of "stupidity" is just downright rude and insensitive. I hope and pray none of YOU will ever have to feel the pain that the families feel when they lose the one that they loved. Regardless of who the person is he/she is still loved by someone! So please step down off your high horses!

16Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

darcycarter :

The death of Brandon Adkins was needless . Society has been paying for the carnage on the SouthSide right along . It is well past time to do a drastic cleanup of criminals in the area . It wont help Brandon but it may help his family by preventing another family member from getting killed .

17walter_sobchak(1847 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

darcycarter,
This is a news website, not a condolence site. People comment on the news. If you don't like it, don't read it. But, my old neighborhood near Teenie's tavern, which was once a great area, has been destroyed by gangs and crime. My mother was beat up years ago by the thug-types that live in this area now. So, we will call it as it is! Would you be out on South Ave. in this neighborhood after dark? No? Then, that makes this kid stupid. Now, he needs buried but there is no money for funeral expenses. But, he was a 16 year old father-to-be! Now, how was he expected to provide for his offspring? That makes him irresponsible in his past actions and a leech for his future actions because the govt. would have to take care off the fruit of his loins!

It is obvious that this kid was not raised properly. He had no respect for himself or others. You put yourself in dangerous situations, you suffer the consequences. So, don't tell me I am sitting up on a high horse just because I was raised properly, with respect of myself, for others and their property, and for the LAW! Just because you are not a dreg of society does not mean you are on a high horse. The good people of this area are righteous indignant about the state of Youngstown as it is a cancer that threatens the entire region.

Sorry, but my family and I have felt the pain of the Southside and I feel free to pass judgement!

18AnotherAverageCitizen(1174 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

Brandon, May you REST IN PEACE.

A large crowd but nobody saw anything. So the community wants things cleaned up, but are not willing to help.
In another article a Teacher gets no jail time for his crimes on Kids.

With little comminity help, and no assistance from the courts, the area will not improve. All need involved. Citizens need to speak up, courts need to keep criminals locked up. If you keep doing the same thing you get the same results.

19Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

We need to give the plan more time . . ..

20Attis(862 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

From Steel City USA to Murder City USA. Metrocide, the killing of Youngstown (especially the South Side) preceded all these homicides. Along with going after the killers of these kids, go after the killers of Youngstown's South Side. The crimes in the streets are rooted in crimes in the suites. That's why the blood will continue to flow.

21darcycarter(10 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

Stan:
You are right all the deaths are needless and senseless. I do not argue with that but I am simply trying to figure out the name calling aspect of it all. Because like I said at the end of the day someone's child is sitting in the morgue for whatever reason. I was just trying to understand why the lack of respect.
Walter:
You really need to climb down before you get a nose bleed. So you are a Judge and a Psychic. Regardless of how a person was raised does not mean they will remain in that same state of being. You see it all the time on Intervention. Kids raised “properly” in a good home and end up on drugs and living a life a crime. You see outcome like this every day or vice versa. Or a person from the hood or streets pulls themselves up by their bootstraps and makes something of themselves. You never know that young man may have graduated and went on to college and provided a better life for his child and family. Oh but you do know because you are psychic and you know what the future holds. Furthermore, you are showing examples of possibly not been raised “properly” by your own definition because you lack respect for others. It appears you only respect yourself (so you say) and those like you. Almost Narcisstic but I don't know you like that to make such an assumption.
My point I was trying to make is this situation is messed up. I love the city of Youngstown it holds my fondest memories. However, I know it's no place to raise a family. But some people do and many are losing their families. Not offering any condolences to anyone I was just asking where is the respect. People are losing their children and here the commenters are calling them stupid, passing judgment on their shortcomings. It just isn't right! I was raised never kick a person when their down. I was raised to try and figure out a way to help them up instead. And if that is being raised improperly than oh well! I rather be that way than a stuck up snob!
Here's a box of Kleenex for that nose!

22walter_sobchak(1847 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

You can't respect others if you don't respect yourself. If you don't respect yourself, how do you expect me to respect you? If this kid fathered a child at 16, HE IS STUPID!!!!!!!!!! He should have known how to prevent this from happening but he didn't care. No, wait a minute. I'm wrong, he was not already going down the wrong road. That's right, I'm a snob.

You have no idea where I came from. I was raised by a widowed mother who taught me right from wrong, good from evil, how to take of myself and not be a burden on others. I grew up poor, but I never knew it because poor is a state of mind. I was taught that it doesn't take much money to be clean and conduct yourself properly. I was told to respect my neighbors, my elders, my teachers. And, you want to say I am narcissistic because I have self-respect and only respect those like me? You have no idea the kind of man I am, where I came from and I will continue to comment on the evil things that are happening in the hood of Youngstown. I watched an ER doctor stick his fingers inside my mother's scalp to feel for any cracks in her skull after she was beaten and robbed and I am a snob? If you want to see the answer to the problem, look in a mirror! This country was founded on individualism and self-worth. If this kind of belief makes you think I'm on a high horse, back away before you get trampled. Me and "my kind" are not the problem. Keep the Kleenex, you're going to need it to keep wiping up the blood on South Ave.

23whitesabbath(738 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

--- another life snuffed out ---- no values, no morals = NO HOPE.......

24darcycarter(10 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

Poor Walter the air up there must be affecting your brain! I never once said you or "your kind" was the problem. I'm not in the pointing finger game. However, I will say this is if you are not part of the solution then you are part of the problem. I do not know you so I can't say either way nor can you about me.
You often reference to your Mother's beating and my heart goes out to you both. I am sure it was a senseless crime and I hope they were able to capture whomever done this to her. You see that! That's call compassion and respect for other's. And that's what it is all about! Somewhere along the lines you missed that lesson. You don't have to know a person to respect them. Respect is due a dog!
Teenagers are having sex everyday. Does it make it right? No but it's a fact of the matter. You may know because you have psychic abilities as to the circumstances of this conception IE did they use condoms if so did it break. But I think if they had worn a condom and it broke well it was responsiblity shown on their behave. But to declare someone stupid without facts is well for a lack of words ... Stupid!
You also was quick to tell me your background because I made reference to your upbringing based off of your actions. Offended much! Now you get a brief experience what those mothers and children feel when question their upbringing based off what you read. Doesn't feel good does it! But you'll find a way to spin it, a way to be right.
That was a good comeback and play on words w/ the Kleenex. But I think it's going to take more than Kleenex to fix South Ave. But you don't care it's not your blood until the day that it is your blood!

25Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

Some in the hood don't accept being made a victim . Those who attempt to beat, rob and kill people need instant justice . After the crime death is eternal and justice is elusive .

26TonyB(29 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

Can our youth practice Community Justice?

Yes, with your help.

Read http://tbmw.org/youthcourt

27walter_sobchak(1847 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

darcycarter,
Then you are part of the problem. If calling out the problems as what they are is finger pointing, then so be it. I call it like I see it. There is no spin. Having sex at 16 years old is wrong, protected or otherwise, and it is stupid. I don't need psychic ability. You don't like the fact that I judge the actions of others, that's tough. I don't apologize for who I am and what I stand for. You only want to see the world in shades of gray, that there are no black and white issues. There is nothing wrong with righteous anger. You just believe it is self-righteous! Listen to what Stan says because he is more correct than you will ever realize. You just don't like the ways he says it. Violate the laws of God and see the results.

28darcycarter(10 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

You are so right having sex at 16 is wrong so are a lot of things that people have done including yourself. Well probably not you because you among the first to cast the first stone. So with that being said yes sah I will listen to Stan. Anything else sah?
I will be the bigger person and agree to disagree here. Because it seems you are running out of steam or should I say smoke! Have a great day Walter cont to do what you do it's gotten you this far! But know this those same people you criticize may be wiping your self righteous butt one day.

29reader1(19 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

@Walter_sobchak...you don't like the fact that I JUDGE THE ACTIONS OF OTHERS....LISTEN TO WHAT STAN SAYS.. i know you are pulling my leg right..Walter you have an opinion just like everyone else. You are not in a court of law. This is a message board and by the way you have read some of the things that Stan has said.

30walter_sobchak(1847 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

All of my days are great up here! I never run out of steam. And, please, this is not a racial thing. But, there are rules, smokey.

31Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

reader1 :

I strive for maximum impact with my posts . My portrayal of life in the hood is correct if not politically correct . Thanks for your attention . . ..

32darcycarter(10 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

Walter,
Smokey ... Really? You are so good with the name calling I wonder what you call yourself. There is no need to go on back and forth with the subject because you are clearly old and set in your ways. It makes some feel superior when they belittle or talk down to those deem inferior! So I am gonna give you that. You can have I have better things to do with my life such as raise my children not to think like you nor to believe that the way to solve a problem is by murdering them. I do not live on south ave or anywhere near Youngstown. A choice I made to provide a better opportunity for me and mine. Partly because the shelf life for black males is so short and because the living conditions IE jobs and housing are not favorable. I have lost two brothers and 1 nephew in those streets so I know 1st hand the pain that is felt. All I was asking was for you to respect those that are going through. Judge not and no one would place judgment on you. But since you can not handle that then I guess there nothing more to say here! Small minded people are the real unfortunates! I feel sorry for you!

33Lifes2Short(3875 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

darcycarter

"But know this those same people you criticize may be wiping your self righteous butt one day."

Criticize? More like a fact of life in the streets. Like in the "real" world. Newbies come on here and get all defensive because of the cold hard facts that they don't like to hear.

"......insinuating that asking the community to help pay for the funeral as a result of "stupidity" is just downright rude and insensitive."

Why? What about the families that lose a baby or child from a terrible disease that don't have the money for a funeral. Do they ask the community? I haven't seen anybody doing that.

"However, I know it's no place to raise a family."

Yes it is. It's how you go about raising a family. It's what you make of it. It's not greener on the other side.

lanachek

"I see Stan has used that loaded word "culture" again .
Of course, he didn't use this word when commenting today on a baroom fight in Struthers where the participants were white."

HUGE difference from a bar room fight to MURDER. And what does color have to do with it? smh

Stan
Freeatlast :

Excellent thinking ! Get the DNA when they are booked the first time . This will work to pin the boys in the hood to future crimes also ."

They want to do this and people on the boards here were bit@W#ing about "privacy". Go figure. I think it's a excellent idea.

34nane6(29 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

Stan: I really would like to meet you one day. You are such an a**hole on the computer I really would like to meet an a**hole in person. All you do is get on your computer and talk about the "hood." Where do you live? Is everything good in your neighborhood? It's obvious you do no live on the Southside, so why do you have so much to say about what goes on there? If it bothers you so much there are 49 other states you can take your stupid a^^ to. MOVE IMMEDIATELY and I bet you won't be missed.

35darcycarter(10 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

Life2short,
Yes criticize! I do not believe calling people names or criticizing upbringings of the decease as stating a fact of life in any streets. Your point sadly has not been made.

It is rude to say that a person should not ask for help to bury their son because their son was stupid for being out after dark. That is just insensitive and rude. If a person does not have money to bury their child that died of a disease if they don't ask the community for help then how do they bury their children. So again what is your point?

Lastly, I do not believe that a place where men are celebrating making it to the age 20 is a place where I would want to raise my family. I do not believe when one looks at a group picture with 10 ppl in it and 8 of them were murdered is a place I would like to raise my family. And the grass is greener because where I live the death toll for the year is not in the double or triple digits and my son does not have to worry about being call stupid just because he was out after dark. It's not what you make it because innocent people die too.
Ps and by the way when Walter states a fact I'll let you know. Because all I've heard is opinions bias ones at that ... Opinions none the least!

36redvert(2048 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

nane6, if Stan moves will things be all better on the southside?

I may not always agree with the way Stan describes things but bottom line, he usually nails it. He makes a joke of some of the things that happen because the fact is that it is a joke. The citizens cry when someone dies but do not finger the shooter. When is the last time that the mayor or police chief even bothered to comment. Now if they could get a good network photo op they would be out there BS'ing their constituents.

"Maybe he was wearing a condom but it broke" Are you kidding me, "riding bareback" is the macho thing to do.

ps: Something tells me you would know plenty of a**holes

37darcycarter(10 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

Riding bareback may be the macho thing for you but everybody aren't you thank God!

38redvert(2048 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

I was describing how the young thugs think and you knew it but I guess there wasn't much else you could say! I bet he bragged to his bros about it.

39darcycarter(10 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

Oh I have said plenty! Like I said before unless a person is psyhic or knew this young man than you don't know what this young man method of contraceptive was or lack there of. And here we go again with the name calling. What makes him a thug and if he is does that mean all thugs have the same contraceptive plan. Really that's like all black people eat chicken and all white people are smart!

40Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

nane6 :

I am flattered that I have made an impression . Have I rocked your world ? GOOD !

41Lifes2Short(3875 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

darcycarter

"And the grass is greener because where I live the death toll for the year is not in the double or triple digits and my son does not have to worry about being call stupid just because he was out after dark. It's not what you make it because innocent people die too."

OK and where is this so called paradise? Give me just a general area where you reside and I can just about guarantee there is crime and violence. There is no such place as paradise, until your no longer on this planet.

"Yes criticize! I do not believe calling people names or criticizing upbringings of the decease as stating a fact of life in any streets."

com·ment (kmnt)
n.
1. a. A written note intended as an explanation, illustration, or criticism of a passage in a book or other writing; an annotation.
b. A series of annotations or explanations.
2. a. A statement of fact or opinion, especially a remark that expresses a personal reaction or attitude.

Comprehend?

"If a person does not have money to bury their child that died of a disease if they don't ask the community for help then how do they bury their children. So again what is your point?"

They find a way on there own.

42taxpayer1001(274 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

I'm sure this will all be removed soon since a few will complain about the posts. Always happens with something like this.

Darcy, what you don't seem to understand is that this is so "normal" to those on the south side. the rest of us see this as abnormal behavior. I raised two girls on my own who have college education, excellence in sports, NO CHILDREN before marriage or age 24, and they both understand that this is not normal behavior to do what goes on there. You say he was out "after dark". I'm going by memory from the other article, but wasn't it 11:30 pm? That is past curfew and even with no curfew my 16 year old kid wouldn't be roaming around anywhere then let alone a place well known for the violence and killings! Think about that..... I also have moved my kids out of Yo. even though I was raised there because I wouln't allow them to be in that school system or environment. I had no help, no welfare, no college ed but I worked several jobs to give them a better life. Those parents can do the same!
Think about what you say before you criticize these other people on here for speaking the truth! Hard work and morals go a long way for kids!

43taxpayer1001(274 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

Just wanted to clarify the "before marriage or age 24" in my comment... neither one is pregnant or a mother yet. my 24 year old is getting married next year but no kids before getting married for either

44borylie(768 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

darcycarter,
I'm a racist,right wing wacko,tea party follower,a nazi,a snob and smart. I'm also ride bareback and I hate chicken. You must be the opposite of all that I am.

Stan the Man,keep up the good fight.

45darcycarter(10 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

Life2short,
I believe the term you used was fact so why would you give me random definitions. So now you are switching to comment I guess. I live in Conway, SC and I never said it was paradise. But I guess you needed to put words in my mouth but I guess you needed to in order to make yourself look good. Please with the smoke and mirrors and let's stick to what was really said. I did not say where I live does not have violence and crime. It does ... I lost my daughter's father at the hands of another here in Conway. And before you make a comment he was a hard working man. But in Youngstown I lost two brothers and a nephew. So that's why I said it's no place to raise a family.

Taxpayer1001,
Wow I applaud you for getting out of the Yo. My mother did the same thing for my sisters and I! And I agree that everyone else could do the same. I think I even said that in my comment when I said that Youngstown is no place to raise a family. I believe where you got me wrong at is I am not criticizing any one for stating the hard facts. Where I have a problem with is the disrespect. Calling people stupid, talking mess about how they were raised. That's not right they don't even know those people or anything but the negativity that they read. And Lil dude might have been a thug, may have been having sexw/o condoms may have been just all around a bad person. But the paper does not say that so to assume it and then talk bad about people is just wrong. I mean what if given your daughters background and God forbid they were at the right place at the wrong time. And somebody say that she wasn't raised right and she was stupid. That's all I was saying they shouldn't be so disrespectful.
Now in ref to the after dark thing. Walter said the young man was stupid for being out after dark. So I do not know what time he was out nor do I care all I was saying is just because he was out after dark is no need to be disrespectful.

46darcycarter(10 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

Hi Borylie nice to meet you! And after all that you claim to be I still show you respect. And that's all my point has been about!

47janeyblue(227 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

Maybe all the thugs and gang bangers should pool their tat money together to pay for the funeral. Probably 50 or so have run out and had this kids name blazened on arms chests and backs. Not cheap.
By the way, all funeral homes sell a plywood box for under $1000.00. Cardboard is even cheaper. Cut the calling hours to one viewing. No limos and you cut the costs more.
Stan,Walter and most everyone except Darcy who is in fairyland...well said.

48Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

Brandon Adkins in life may not have had a large following . In death he would have a higher level of esteem amongst his peers . Life in the hood isn't worshiped nearly as much as death . Why ? Well the fact that the fallen now have no faults and are not a threat to anyone may in part explain it .

The hood has claimed another victim and will continue to claim many more until the families of the victims have had enough anguish . Society in their attempts to end the culture of death will have marginal success unless we have the fortitude to do what needs to be done . This festering wound that is called the SouthSide is a launching pad for careers that embrace the dark side of life . I repeat once again that idle hands do the work of the devil . Let us bring jobs to the SouthSide . A furniture factory built there would fit in well for a starter .

49walter_sobchak(1847 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

darcycarter,
If I offended you with the "smokey" comment, I'm sorry. I reserve the name calling for those which I have no respect. This is a movie quote and I should have cited it with quotation marks. Google the name, it is a very funny movie. But, it is regards that nobody "gives a s**t about the f****n' rules" anymore. Those that have seen the movie know that I did not go "over the line".

Now, please don't hand me the "judge not and ye won't be judged comment" for if you knew the Scripture reading, you would understand Jesus' intent with this. It has to do with condemnation and that only God can condemn you. If not, we would not have judges, juries, and prisons.

Now, as to what I call myself, I would say worker, taxpayer, volunteer, patriot...everything that makes a good American. I would also call myself husband (of the only woman in my life) and, my greatest title, father to my children who have turned out to be good, productive adults. Unfortunately, a lot of blame for the current state of our youth can be blamed on Hollywood and the entertainment industry.

In my drive to work this morning, I heard Vicki Allen, the head of the I.C.U. Blockwatch, on 570. When the host asked her what the biggest problem on the Southside, she said "a lack of respect in the home"! I almost soiled my tightie-whities. I hope you were up and heard this. Talk about showing Walter some love. Affirmation, baby! Affirmation!

I sure stirred the proverbial pot with my comments!

50Lifes2Short(3875 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

darcycarter

"I live in Conway, SC and I never said it was paradise."

But you say this:

Paradise-greener on the other side, same thing, you put down Youngstown, but no matter where you live, it's all the same. Violence and crime. You can't escape it.

"I believe the term you used was fact so why would you give me random definitions."

Your not very street wise, are you? That is good.

Conway,SC residents:

pburgess68
Senior Member

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Myrtle Beach, SC
530 posts, read 399,795 times
Reputation: 131
Red ants stink. They hurt, leave little bubbles where they bit ya, and they'll bite anything, including your pets lol.
""The schools are horrible. Stay up north for good schools.""
Crime...even the mayor's get in on this...DUI, etc. Police get arrested for public nudity amongst other things. It's good for a chuckle now and then.
Yards don't ALWAYS flood. Ours rarely does. But after the rain, we get the red ants. LOTS of them.
""""This area is too touristy, and not a great area to raise kids. I was told this right after I moved here. I didn't believe the women who told me. I was a fool.""""
Jobs are difficult to find, and the pay is pretty low. You can find seasonal work sometimes, but again, the pay is low.
If you are stuck on SC, look at Greenville perhaps.

Rapture Moderator
Here to help!

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sunny SC
3,520 posts, read 4,860,136 times
Reputation: 1772
I'll just say one more thing about Conway because I don't want to come across as if I'm bashing it. I'm a local Realtor and I have many people come to town interested in Conway. They read about it, they research it and are also feeling like you...not sure about it. I would say 9 times out of 10 they finally come to town to buy and decide against it. There is almost nothing around here, I know it because I'm living it. """You have kids and I would imagine you want the best schools around here you can, I can't comment but I'll say do your research based on that and you will not end up in Conway. """"It's mostly rural but if you're used to that and like it, then I guess maybe you would like it.

Greener elsewhere, huh?

51Lifes2Short(3875 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

And where is the Father in all this? I haven't heard anything about him.

52Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

Real fathers in the hood are as scarce as productivity . After pollination they fly off .

53jussaying60(8 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

I now live in Boardman, but before anyone goes "what do you know" I bought my first hoe on Y'town's south side. I said enough 10 years ago after 3 break-ins, and a dead man in the drive way next door from a car jacking.
It's so sad this Mom has to bury a boy just starting life, but what's even more sad is the fact that the kids(and they are) that they are looking for are 17 and 15. FIFTEEN!!!What would get into a kid's head to want to kill. There have been many days we've all felt, wronged betrayed, beat on but to up and just blast somebody?Children of all races are desensitized to violence.
Murder is glamorized and life is cheap.

54Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

Life in the hood on the SouthSide does have their standards and normalcy . This killing was within their standards . Should we adjust to their standards or should they adjust to our standards ?

55jussaying60(8 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

Unfortunately, it's across the board. I realize it's "TV" but ever watch "First 48"? Somebody is shot to death, and nobody sees anything. It's fear, or loyalty or just plain oh well, nothing I can do...

56MrBill(42 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

The perps were wearing Obama T shirts!!

57tonne(199 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

True, a mother has lost a son, and, as a compassionate person, I do understand the pain she is suffering, but still, I have to ask, why was this child allowed to live a lifestyle that ultimately led to his death? It's obvious there were problems in the family already. A cousin killed -- him, a father at 16, involved in an ongoing feud with other young men, out on the streets after curfew -- didn't anyone in the family see this coming? Did any of them even bother checking out his facebook profile? Instead of asking where the police were, maybe the family should be asking what they should have done to protect him themselves. From their comments, they seem to have loved him, so where were they? He was shot outside the house of the person who killed his cousin. What was he doing there at that time of the night? I'd like to believe that this was a senseless act of violence perpetrated on an innocent victim, but, honestly, I'm having a lot of trouble believing that. Does anyone following this story really think that's all this was?

58Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

The victimization of the hood started when the unemployed were given assistance to stay that way . The money wasted over the years could have built factories and the people working in them would have been productive . The fact is that 24/7 idle time generates crime . Are we tired of the mess on the SouthSide ? GOOD ! Then let's get motivated to pressure City Hall to do more than just sign their paychecks ! It is well past time to develop the SouthSide into a haven for civilization to thrive once again !

59jussaying60(8 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

Now, there's something to think on a while. The elected remain silent. Once in a while, they get all big and we hear "we're not going to tolerate this kind of thing". Really, that's their take on it? We as a nation elect officials who make all kinds of promises and we trust them to do something. That's gotten us far. Read the vindicator in the "years ago" history. Nothing is different in Youngstown, just the faces have changed. Used to be the mob, eliminating their rivals, crime was all over just the same.

60lovedrama(138 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

A good place to start would be mandatory drug testing for all welfare recipients-and their kids. If they pass numerous, unannounced tests--even for k2 or k3-whatever that ship is!--then give them some assistance for a limited time. It's so ridiculous right now--nobody wants to get off assistance for minimum wage jobs but I say-hey-do what it takes to support you and yours! Get one of those plentiful grants, go to school-or better yet-take out student loans like the rest of had to-go to school-make a living. Lazy a$$es!

61Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years ago

lovedrama :

"A good place to start would be mandatory drug testing for all welfare recipients-and their kids. "

It will never happen . The liberals would view this as a hate crime . The fact is that they really enjoy being drugged up . It eases the boredom of doing nothing all day .

62LtMacGowan(633 comments)posted 3 years ago

Stan why dont you invite the person that comes forward and tells police who did it to come stay with you so he doesn't get killed for snitching.

63Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years ago

If I caused a blood bath protecting the witness then I would be arrested . I am trying to be on my best behavior and not injure any criminals here in tha hood . Why don't we put the witness up at your house ?

64taxpayer1001(274 comments)posted 3 years ago

A simple fix for having many children on assitance: If you get pregnant while already on assistance (since most are already on it with other children) you get NO EXTRA cash, foodstamps or medical to cover the newest additions. No more help for having kids while you can't support the ones you aready have. Don't forget that we also pay all of the medical for these kids to be born and doctor appointments, shots etc.

If it was not supported by our government to have more kids when already on assistance, maybe more would use birth control! This seems like a fairly easy thing to initiate, but I can guarantee it will never happen!