Ohio teachers air merit pay concerns to governor

Published: Fri, June 3, 2011 @ 2:44 p.m.

COLUMBUS (AP) — Ohio teachers have sent hundreds of emails to Gov. John Kasich trying to educate him on all sides of a debate over how they should be paid and evaluated.

An Associated Press review of several hundred of the roughly 1,000 emails the governor has received since late April shows teachers aren’t so much angry as full of advice — though some messages used more pointed words than others.

At issue is a performance-based pay system contained in the collective-bargaining overhaul signed by Kasich.

Lawmakers are debating whether to include similar pieces of the idea in the state budget bill.

A November referendum on the collective-bargaining law is likely, but putting the pay proposal in the budget could make it complicated to repeal the system through a referendum.

Comments

1scorplove(2 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

I have taught for 30 yrs. Many of my neighbors work at Lordstown. I recall the crap they built out there and yet they got raises and great benefits every year. We don't pay a majority of people based on what is perceived quality. Maybe if parents sent me a quality child, I would unerstand merit pay. I didn't give birth and raise them the first 5 yrs. I dont have them 16 out of 24 hrs each day. The parents did and do all this. Why is my fault when kids do poorly? Parents do't monitor their children at all. Its not the schools' job to raise these kids so dont tie my pay to what they do/don't achieve. SB5 is not about improving anything in the state. Its all about some egotistical know nothing flexing his muscles.

2racer5(2 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

You have just proved a great point scorplove of how a teacher with 30 years experience is not giving a quality education. You didn't even proof read your comment! Understand has a D in it, "when is my fault when kids do poorly?" nice grammar, "parents do't monitor..." I believe that there is a d in there somewhere. I think the point has been proven. Lets give merit to those who actually deserve it, not those who are riding the taxpayer train and NOT educating our kids properly! I would not want this teacher educating my kids

3racer5(2 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

You have just proved a great point scorplove of how a teacher with 30 years experience is not giving a quality education. You didn't even proof read your comment! Understand has a D in it, "when is my fault when kids do poorly?" nice grammar, "parents do't monitor..." I believe that there is an n in there somewhere. I think the point has been proven. Lets give merit to those who actually deserve it, not those who are riding the taxpayer train and NOT educating our kids properly! I would not want this teacher educating my kids

4genius_girl(20 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

racer5 - Rather than discuss the issues at hand, all you could come back with were grammatical errors!! Way to go!!!

5theotherside(329 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

The problem is that the good teachers are being over looked by all the focus on the poor teachers. Since this is the case, all teachers are being lumped into the poor teacher category. As a result, the good teachers are bailing because they would rather leave than put up with the stereotyping, and because their pensions are being threatened. Either way, all teachers are demoralized, and the new teachers are weighing their options rather than be stuck in a job that not only provides them with little respect, but also no work place rights with the enactment of SB 5. In the final analysis, the schools will suffer as a result. Way to go Governor Kasich.

6theotherside(329 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

redeye1, you are missing the point. You could be Horace Mann in front of the room and if some administrator wants a job for his/her nephew, and you are in the way, you are doomed under SB 5. That's the point. The 1983 collective bargaining law was enacted to stop the kind of arbitrary and capricious behavior that SB 5 will now encourage to happen. Couple that with merit pay schemes that research proves won't work and who would want to be a teacher? I suppose if you throw in witch hunts as you suggest, that would make things even worse.