Ohio teachers air merit pay concerns to governor

Published: Fri, June 3, 2011 @ 2:44 p.m.

COLUMBUS (AP) — Ohio teachers have sent hundreds of emails to Gov. John Kasich trying to educate him on all sides of a debate over how they should be paid and evaluated.

An Associated Press review of several hundred of the roughly 1,000 emails the governor has received since late April shows teachers aren’t so much angry as full of advice — though some messages used more pointed words than others.

At issue is a performance-based pay system contained in the collective-bargaining overhaul signed by Kasich.

Lawmakers are debating whether to include similar pieces of the idea in the state budget bill.

A November referendum on the collective-bargaining law is likely, but putting the pay proposal in the budget could make it complicated to repeal the system through a referendum.

Comments

1redeye1(4560 comments)posted 3 years, 4 months ago

They are all worried that might have to actually work now. Well welcome to the real world teachers. If you can't achieve, you should be GONE Let's pass SB 5 if it goes to the ballot in Nov.

2scorplove(2 comments)posted 3 years, 4 months ago

I have taught for 30 yrs. Many of my neighbors work at Lordstown. I recall the crap they built out there and yet they got raises and great benefits every year. We don't pay a majority of people based on what is perceived quality. Maybe if parents sent me a quality child, I would unerstand merit pay. I didn't give birth and raise them the first 5 yrs. I dont have them 16 out of 24 hrs each day. The parents did and do all this. Why is my fault when kids do poorly? Parents do't monitor their children at all. Its not the schools' job to raise these kids so dont tie my pay to what they do/don't achieve. SB5 is not about improving anything in the state. Its all about some egotistical know nothing flexing his muscles.

3racer5(2 comments)posted 3 years, 4 months ago

You have just proved a great point scorplove of how a teacher with 30 years experience is not giving a quality education. You didn't even proof read your comment! Understand has a D in it, "when is my fault when kids do poorly?" nice grammar, "parents do't monitor..." I believe that there is a d in there somewhere. I think the point has been proven. Lets give merit to those who actually deserve it, not those who are riding the taxpayer train and NOT educating our kids properly! I would not want this teacher educating my kids

4racer5(2 comments)posted 3 years, 4 months ago

You have just proved a great point scorplove of how a teacher with 30 years experience is not giving a quality education. You didn't even proof read your comment! Understand has a D in it, "when is my fault when kids do poorly?" nice grammar, "parents do't monitor..." I believe that there is an n in there somewhere. I think the point has been proven. Lets give merit to those who actually deserve it, not those who are riding the taxpayer train and NOT educating our kids properly! I would not want this teacher educating my kids

5genius_girl(20 comments)posted 3 years, 4 months ago

racer5 - Rather than discuss the issues at hand, all you could come back with were grammatical errors!! Way to go!!!

6redeye1(4560 comments)posted 3 years, 4 months ago

Genius-girl Racer5 made a good point, the teachers, my sons had in school were the same way. If scorplove can't write it right here what do you think she or he does in class. They had teachers who used movies in class because they were hung-over from the night before. How do I know. They told the kids, that's how.

7redeye1(4560 comments)posted 3 years, 4 months ago

theotherside Why don't the good teachers report the bad teachers. They won't because they don't want offend a brother or sister union member If they are good teachers what do they have to worry about. They could get great merit pay raises