Hagan blasts chamber for SB 5 support

Published: Wed, June 1, 2011 @ 12:07 a.m.

photo

Rep. Robert F. Hagan, D-Youngstown. (AP Photo/Larry Phillips)

photo

Tom Humphries, president and CEO of the Youngstown/Warren Regional Chamber.

By Karl Henkel

khenkel@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

State Rep. Robert Hagan of Youngstown, D-60th, criticized the Youngstown/ Warren Regional Chamber for publicly supporting Senate Bill 5.

Humphries and Tony Paglia, vice president for government affairs, have both voiced support for SB 5, which curbs some collective- bargaining rights for public employees.

Since then, the chamber has come under fire from local unions such as the Ohio State Penitentiary Chapter 5041 and UAW Local 1714, as well as chamber members that have since ended their memberships.

In his letter, Hagan also referenced a previous letter he sent the Mahoning County commissioners in 2010, which asked that no taxpayer dollars go to the chamber.

“It was my belief then, as it remains now, that there has been a blatant hypocrisy in the cloudy intermingling of your personal politics and the public’s trust in our local Chamber of Commerce,” he wrote.

Since the chamber’s support of SB 5, multiple entities have submitted record requests seeking the amount of taxpayer dollars the chamber has received and how the money is spent.

Humphries did not immediately respond to a request to comment.

Comments

1SAVEOURCOUNTRY(469 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

So,
They want to cut the snakes head off that funds the democtratic party. However, What is good for one party that backs workers isn't ok for the rich business world. They can fund the republican party and get gov't aid? that sounds fair

VOTE DOWN SB5 and KEEP AMERICA FREE!!!!!

2author50(1121 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

Funny how times have changed. I remember Bob and Tom holding hands and singing psalms over passing local sales tax issues year in and year out...

3AlHaberstroh(13 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

So let me get this right. When the SB5 came up for debate (negotiations) Bob and the rest of the Democrats offered nothing not even one amendment. Sounds to me like I'll take my ball and go home if I don't get my way! Great example! There are some good things and some that need changed but the my way or highway mentality when collective bargaining came into existence (all Dems and no Repubs) and with SB5 (all Repub and no Dems) has to change. Next time pratice what you preach and negotiate instead of whinning.

4Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

Government workers want their due from the masses . It's their money and they want it now ! They want their benefits increased no matter what state our economy is in . The masses are to be content with higher taxes taken from their ever shrinking wages .

5northsideperson(365 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

Would offering amendments to SB5 have implied any kind of support for it, particularly since it didn't need democrats to pass? would a meaningful amendment have even had a chance? Surely we all know by now that SB5 is not about pay and benefits, but politics and retribution.

6lee(544 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

Maybe Hagan should have to get a real job. Remember him in the next election

7commoncitizen(961 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

Hagan said in his 2010 letter "no taxpayer money for the Chamber" well how about all of the tax payer money that went to the unions in disguise of "bailing out" GM? Now the UAW wants to "get back" all of the concessions they "gave" to get the taxpayers bailout (that we'll probaly take a lose on).
Hagan, along with Betras, just wants to keep "beating a dead horse" and keep the Chamber in the news ---drop it, you had a chance to put an amendment in place. That's why your in office.

8Cowboyfan(105 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

Stan--- we have taken pay cuts long before the "recession" There have been no "benefit increases" for my union in years.

Commoncitizen---please do not compare the unions they are going after to GM. They are going after Police, Fire, Teachers not auto workers. That's apples and oranges.

9paulparks(235 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

Unions are just an anachronism. They have had their time of relevancy.

Public sector unions are the last gasp of the failed union movement. SB5 won't kill the unions. They are already dead.

10Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

"Hagan, in a letter addressed Tuesday to Tom Humphries, chamber president and CEO, called the political stance “unnecessary and unprincipled” and asked the chamber to reject government funding."

Bob Hagan isn't rejecting his government funding for taking a political stance that benefits only a small percentage of the taxpayers at the expense of the others .

11Handala(38 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

cowboyfan ... Government / Union collusion is NOT apples & oranges its lemons & lemons. Impossible to swallow in public or private sectors!

12valleygal(24 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

This is from the "Business Journal Daily": "Your endorsement of Senate Bill 5 was both unnecessary and unprincipled," Hagan continued, adding that he could not come up with "a scenario where our local business community would have a vested interest in endorsing Senate Bill 5."

I am a member of that local business community, I pay my taxes and I pay for my health care. I achieve success in my company by my performance - if I don't perform, I'm out, I have to work for and earn my pay raises, which must be supportable in the company’s budget and are not automatic - I don't have tenure or a union to protect me if I commit a felony. If I'm paying the salary and benefits of public employees (which I am through my taxes), then I believe that I should have a say in how my taxes are spent. SB5 does not remove the right to collectively bargain on issues related to wages hours, terms and conditions of employment, but provides certain limits and parameters and gives me an opportunity to hold my elected representatives accountable for how my tax dollars are spent.

How's that for "a scenario in which our local business community would have a vested interest in endorsing Senate Bill 5", Mr. Hagan?

13palbubba(664 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

Buckwheat Bob has no meaningful solutions to any problem. That is why he just attacks any solution offered by the opposing party. Free publicity for his attempt to be relevant. I know of only one thing he has ever been right about. When last elected and the Democrat party took control of the state he was asked if he thought the Democrats would be as arrogant as the Republicans had been. His answer was, they would be more arrogant as they had earned that right, he was absolutely right for once.

14Cowboyfan(105 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

GM's union is not under attack so it is apples and oranges.

SB5 will bring back nepotism, favoritism, and age discrimination. It takes away sonority rights. Women will be back to being un-equal. Protection from these issues is what we are also fighting against.

You don't want your tax dollars funding the Dem's. I don’t want my tax dollars funding you.

I work very hard and I do earn my raises. I haven't seen a raise in at least 4 years.

I feel for all those ODOT and PENNDOT people I saw fixing OUR roads in the 95 degree weather this weekend. Sure am glad they don’t earn their wages.

All you Repubs who are such math wizards tell me what happens when the wages are cut for 17% of the valley. What then happens to the economy.

You can bargain for wages. Yeah they will tell us this is our offer take it or leave it. That's real bargaining.

Mark my words cuts will be deep and hurt all.

Now they are going after min wage. Bet you all love that.

15borylie(790 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

Cowboyfan,
Can you explain how you earn your raises,but you haven't had one in four years?

16Cowboyfan(105 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

When I did get them, I earned them.

17Cowboyfan(105 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

I have been in my job for 20 years once upon a time we did get a raise.

"The Non-Productive Duds " are usually favorites or friends of the bosses. They will always be there. Private or Public.

18northsideperson(365 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

Next up for Ohio - a GOP attack on the minimum wage

192muchtax(312 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

Its time to get rid of buckwheat bob and Gerberry! Public Employees have too many benefits and do not pay enough for them, then want more. SB5 is needed. Old Bob was a union railroad employee so of course he is going to fight for them and ignore the other 83% of taxpayers paying through the nose for all this. 2.75% Sales Tax for Ytown is exactly why one large business I know moved out lately. Employees love it, automatic 2.75 % raise. Ohio State Patrol retires after only 20yrs, best kept secret. They can retire in their 40's?

20commoncitizen(961 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

Cowboy,
The UAW is behind repealing SB5 so aren't they picking sides ---to support their "brothers/sister" in the public sector?
You didn't get a raise in 20 years??

21lovethebuckeyes(32 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

I think SB5 is poorly thought out and poorly written, but if the policeman's union and Bob Hagan hate it, there most be some substantial good in there too!! Just spend spend spend is NOT GOING TO WORK. DON'T ANY OF THESE ELECTED CLOWNS GET IT???

22candystriper(575 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

...using google maps type Bob Hagan and it will get you directions to the nearest bread line...lol

dailyjobcuts.com

23gfpalmer(16 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

Statements above by Jessiedavid, redeye, palbubba, jay1981, and 2muchtax illustrate an important problem seldom addressed, namely, many whose comments on websites criticize, offend, and disrespect do so behind the protective veil of an anonymous userid.

Some months back when Rep Hagan mistakenly used an offensive term, he publicly apologized on the radio. He is as a person sufficiently serious and reflective to realize and acknowledge a mistake and insult. Yet, some members of this site, e.g., Jessiedavid, jay1981, and the others named above, in the anonymity of their userid insult and deride, but do not have half the guts. Own and be responsible for what you say. Use your real name when you speak. Only cowards hide.

24300(553 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

Interesting, the transformation of Jessie from an initial Marie-Antoinette type of benevolent elitism, to the current state of posting-tourette's.

Evidently, she's finally realized how outnumbered her viewpoint is, and she's now resorting to calling Betras and Hagan asshol-es.

The business community, of which I'm a member, is paying the price for its arrogance and greed. We benefit from the tax codes, and we've got disproportionate sway when it comes to politicians. But, just like I've been trying to explain to many other small business owners, when the pendulum sways too far in the favor of business it'll be business that pays the price. There was a reason why Henry Ford paid his workers far more than he needed to, and now the Chamber is being publicly attacked (and it's entirely its own fault for overstepping).

When teachers and cops get paid what I make as a small business owner, I'll agree that they might need to look at how their benefits factor in, but until that day we should all be happy that they're willing to do what most of us in the business community wouldn't for the salary that they're paid.

25Cowboyfan(105 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

Read my comment please. It says once upon a time we did get raises. Haven't seen one in many years. Just pointing out the fact that we know the economy is in bad shape and we took concessions.

26bikerdadbmw(12 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

SB 5 is a serious matter in even more serious times. It remains a shame that the political pundits and politicians choose to speak on these matters in very generalized an unspecific terms. The use of misrepresentation to demonize that which they have no logical points or data to prove otherwise . Never using comparisons to pertinent facts. Fear mongering is also high on the list of tactics using emotions and hate to serve their purpose. This emanates from on high, one example comes to mind when Mr. David Betras followed a clip on the news from Mr. Tom Humphries and completely misquoted the clip within seconds of it's playing. Misconstrued points in the SB 5 Bill that anyone reading that bill only slightly would have gotten correct.
It has become much easier to arrive at the truth simply by observing the tactics being used. Anyone who stays away from facts and wallows in name calling and fear mongering has no viable argument, simply want their own way. I learned this from raising children and have found it also works with Politicians.

27Briscoe(14 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

Plain and simple - Hagan is an embarrassment to himself and this region. Just like Betras, Hagan\\\'s primary objective is to hear himself talk and get his name in the media. No one in Columbus takes him seriously and because of this, this region effectively has one less voice in the Ohio General Assembly. The SB5 debate locally with the Chamber is a waste of time and effort on both sides. Humphries and the Chamber need to get back to business attraction/retention and Hagan and the other officeholders should be worrying about how to balance the State\\\'s budget (here\\\'s a hint....reduce spending!).

28HSG(121 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

The real cowards are the chamber of commerce. When I go to their web page to view their membership directory, (so I will know which businesses to BOYCOTT,) it's under construction and has been for months. If anyone knows where I can find the list of businesses that have not left the chamber and are thus in support of sb 5, pass that info on.